• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

African-American Comics
3 3

155 posts in this topic

On 12/18/2018 at 2:57 PM, Sqeggs said:

Interesting.  Do you know who he is? 

Inside story (art signed by Charlie Tomsey) doesn't portray any player with #15 or who appears African American - it features Slade Cutter, Buzz Borres, Bill Ingram and Jonas Ingram - all of whom played for Navy much earlier and served in WWII.  To my surprise, Navy it seems didn't have an African-American football player until Calvin Huey, who was a 1967 graduate of the Naval Academy.

The only real guess I can make is perhaps Honduran born Stephen Van Buren. After leading LSU to victory in the Orange Bowl, he was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles with the fifth overall pick in the 1944 NFL Draft and played professionally from 1944 to 1951.  He wore #15.  On the other hand, he didn't have any connections to Navy.

It looks as if I may have been mistaken about the cover.

Edited by path4play

On 12/20/2018 at 8:31 PM, path4play said:

Inside story (art signed by Charlie Tomsey) doesn't portray any player with #15 or who appears African American - it features Slade Cutter, Buzz Borres, Bill Ingram and Jonas Ingram - all of whom played for Navy much earlier and served in WWII.  To my surprise, Navy it seems didn't have an African-American football player until Calvin Huey, who was a 1967 graduate of the Naval Academy.

The only real guess I can make is perhaps Honduran born Stephen Van Buren. After leading LSU to victory in the Orange Bowl, he was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles with the fifth overall pick in the 1944 NFL Draft and played professionally from 1944 to 1951.  He wore #15.  On the other hand, he didn't have any connections to Navy.

It looks as if I may have been mistaken about the cover.

Kind of odd that they would feature a seemingly African-American player on the front cover but not in the accompanying story.  Googling Van Buren, it's hard to say from online images whether he was dark skinned enough to possibly be the player on the cover.  It looks like Kenny Washington was the first African-American player in the modern NFL when he signed a contract with the Rams in 1946.

Still, it's a very interesting cover. 

On 7/25/2017 at 3:15 PM, Dr. Love said:

For the longest time I took this cover to be the first interracial kiss in comicdom.  Unfortunately for that premise, the black guy on the cover becomes the white guy inside the pages.  But hey the colorists don't make that kind of mistake by mistake.  I think the editors made a bold underground statement. 

so I stand by my foolish notion.

The race of the guy on the cover is rather ambiguous, in my opinion. But I can see how people interpret him as a black man. 

And "colonists"? :facepalm:

The football player on the cover could be a slightly fictionalized version of Emlen Tunnell, who played for Toledo in 1942 before serving in the U.S. Coast Guard from 1943-1946 and going on to a Hall of Fame NFL career (the first black NFL HOFer).  Tunnell wore number 45 rather than 15, but the face looks pretty similar.  Notably, Tunnell actually broke his neck playing football in October 1942 before recovering to lead Toledo to the NIT Basketball Finals in spring 1943 and joining the U.S. Coast Guard in May 1943. 

It seems quite possible that the cover artist may have read a contemporaneous news story about Tunnell recovering from his serious injury and joining the Coast Guard sometime in mid-1943 and was inspired to draw him as the cover athlete.   

18 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't think this one has been logged into the census yet, which shows only a 5.0 and a 4.0.  @sagii has one, so boardies own at least 2/3 of the graded copies. :acclaim:

2019-01-14-0001.jpg

Congrats! :applause:

Colors on your copy are incredibly vibrant for its age.

1 minute ago, sagii said:

Congrats! :applause:

Colors on your copy are incredibly vibrant for its age.

Lot of foxing (although less evident in hand), but, yeah, not too bad for a 117-year old!

5 hours ago, telerites said:

Did you get that from Ritter?  I saw it on his site but it went quick.

Yep.  He seems to have been trickling out some sports comics.  I assume they must be from a collection he picked up.  Most of them don't interest me, but I jumped on this one.

Just now, Sqeggs said:

Yep.  He seems to have been trickling out some sports comics.  I assume they must be from a collection he picked up.  Most of them don't interest me, but I jumped on this one.

It is cool cover.  I have been looking for one issue of that series.  

Just acquired this rarity..  :cloud9:

Excellent article here, which reproduces the interior. Link to Article:

http://ep.tc/problems/74/

This completes my trifecta for African American comics, to include the rare NAACP giveaways

s-l500 (2).jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

Edited by eccomic

18 minutes ago, eccomic said:

Just acquired this rarity..  :cloud9:

Excellent article here, which reproduces the interior. Link to Article:

http://ep.tc/problems/74/

This completes my trifecta for African American comics, to include the rare NAACP giveaways

s-l500 (2).jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

:applause:Congrats! Not not an easy one to acquire.

11 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Sagii, was just drooling over the Negro Romance set you posted earlier in this thread. (thumbsu  I still hope to find an issue someday!

Thanks! I'm still missing the #4 by Charlton with the illustrated cover, but the 1 to 3 Fawcett photo cover set could be considered complete. 

Btw

:gossip: You may want to check out the previews on CC. 

1 hour ago, sagii said:

Thanks! I'm still missing the #4 by Charlton with the illustrated cover, but the 1 to 3 Fawcett photo cover set could be considered complete. 

Btw

:gossip: You may want to check out the previews on CC. 

Is complete.  The Fawcett is the set - the line drawn, while of course desirable, is another publisher's add on and a reprint of #2 at that.  And if you accept #4 as a Giordano cover....well what's the fuss?  :devil:

I must say the romance lineup in this next CC auction is absolutely extraordinary.