• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden State Comicon in Oakland Report

88 posts in this topic

book that everyone here has heard about a lot over the past year and a half.

I assume that's the key part of the description. So my guess is it is #26. But that's just a wild guess.

Great thread you guys have going here. I've never seen a show quite like this and I will try to comment more soon but I'm still beat. Beth and I went into the show already wiped out from the Harley website push, and now we are mired in the Harley catalog push. (InDesign is a nightmare for long documents like the 150 page Harley catalog.) Okay, I also played three sets of tennis in the midday heat, that can't have helped.

Marc

We also chatted a bit about a friend of his who has a copy of a very hard to find book that everyone here has heard about a lot over the past year and a half. His friend showed up with the book and I got to hold it in my hands.
devil.gif

Great report Scott and yes I also got a chance to hold and see the aforementioned comic book in person that I had never seen before. 893whatthe.gifcloud9.gifhail.gif

yay.gifyay.gif

Go on, spill the beans, fer 'eaven's sake. What was the book? devil.gif

C'mon Andy, it's not that hard. poke2.gif I got it right on the first guess in my PM to Scott. I got the number wrong but the description right.

When Scott told me via PM I admit it was foreheadslap.gif time. I should've guessed....... crazy.gif

my two cents. wasn't able to attend until sun afternoon. the 1000 book collection that has been mentioned previously had been pretty worked over- couldn't have been more than 200 books left (my estimate). some nice vf/nm later silver dc but nothing i needed. did buy one book from harley that he had gotten from that collection. bought an aquaman 28 green river that hauser had graded vf/nm but certainly looked more like a nm- to me. all in all, for the size of the room there was a decent amount of quality merch. foot traffic was nearly non-existent. don't know if saturday was better. onward to san diego.

We also chatted a bit about a friend of his who has a copy of a very hard to find book that everyone here has heard about a lot over the past year and a half. His friend showed up with the book and I got to hold it in my hands.
devil.gif

Great report Scott and yes I also got a chance to hold and see the aforementioned comic book in person that I had never seen before. 893whatthe.gifcloud9.gifhail.gif

yay.gifyay.gif

C'mon Andy, it's not that hard. poke2.gif I got it right on the first guess in my PM to Scott. I got the number wrong but the description right.

When Scott told me via PM I admit it was foreheadslap.gif time. I should've guessed....... crazy.gif

Why the big friggin' secret? confused.gifmad.giftongue.gif

- (A very crabby) Alan

devil.gif

yay.gifyay.gif

- (A very crabby) Alan

Right, like more then one person can know something and still keep it a "secret". screwy.gif

devil.gif

yay.gifyay.gif

Why the big friggin' secret? confused.gifmad.gif

- (A very crabby) Alan

PM Scott. He'll explain.......

devil.gif

yay.gifyay.gif

- (A very crabby) Alan

Sorry if I didn't spoon-feed you information to your liking. confused-smiley-013.gif

I am also sorry that this turned into such a mental challenge for you. I was expecting it to be quite easy to figure out for anyone who was a regular member of the boards -- and for most, it was. poke2.gif

devil.gif

yay.gifyay.gif

- (A very crabby) Alan

Sorry if I didn't spoon-feed you information to your liking. confused-smiley-013.gif

I am also sorry that this turned into such a mental challenge for you. I was expecting it to be quite easy to figure out for anyone who was a regular member of the boards -- and for most, it was. poke2.gif

At least I know that CGC puts "Salida" on their labels. poke2.gifpoke2.gif

devil.gif

yay.gifyay.gif

- (A very crabby) Alan

At least I know that CGC puts "Salida" on their labels. poke2.gifpoke2.gif

True, but remember the follow-up question you couldn't answer? Apparently your pedigree "expertise" starts and ends with this little nugget you just gave us. poke2.gifyay.gif

Had a great time. Love SF and Oakland. Bought a CGC VF Bat #1-really sweet. Scott and the boys had a great lunch. Can't wait until next year!

Carmine Infantino on the next Comic Zone!

Peace,

VZ

What's a "VF"? Numbers man! We need really big numbers! Letters baaaad, numbers gooood. insane.gif

Weren't you one of the "many dealers and collectors" that CGC consulted with when they made the change to numbers? I'm still looking for one collector or dealer that they "consulted" on this issue.......

Had a great time. Love SF and Oakland. Bought a CGC VF Bat #1-really sweet. Scott and the boys had a great lunch. Can't wait until next year!

Peace,

VZ

What's a "VF"? Numbers man! We need really big numbers! Letters baaaad, numbers gooood. insane.gif

Weren't you one of the "many dealers and collectors" that CGC consulted with when they made the change to numbers? I'm still looking for one collector or dealer that they "consulted" on this issue.......

Post something happy and positive today. Just for once Brian. 27_laughing.gifflowerred.gif

Peace,

VZ

Post something happy and positive today. Just for once Brian. 27_laughing.gifflowerred.gif

Im sure he asked for a group hug at some point in a different thread 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

my two cents. wasn't able to attend until sun afternoon. the 1000 book collection that has been mentioned previously had been pretty worked over- couldn't have been more than 200 books left (my estimate). some nice vf/nm later silver dc but nothing i needed. did buy one book from harley that he had gotten from that collection. bought an aquaman 28 green river that hauser had graded vf/nm but certainly looked more like a nm- to me. all in all, for the size of the room there was a decent amount of quality merch. foot traffic was nearly non-existent. don't know if saturday was better. onward to san diego.

Hi Paperheart,

I was the one who helped you out with the Aquaman 28. It was nice to meet you - Too bad I didn't know you were a forumite at the time, or I would have introduced myself and the other guys at the booth.

The book actually came directly from William Steven's lawyer, Craig Beles, and was purchased privately by forum member (and convention booth owner) sckao. So, it was never owned by John Hauser. The undergrading would have been the fault of yet another forumite, jeffreykli.

In any case, I'm glad you're pleased with it!

Best Regards,

-Jim

Ya the Aquaman was one of the Best books on that wall - Jeff is such an undergrader when it comes to OTHER PEOPLE's BOOKS.... poke2.gif I'm probably safe for a week with that comment - unless the French translation program kicks in at the internet cafe.... 893whatthe.gif

I'm just jealous Jeff have a great vacation hi.gif

BTW, Thanks to everyone (the few of you who actually went to the Golden State Con) for stopping by the booth. Traffic was definitely on the light side although there were definitely some hard core collectors out there with deep, deep pockets. I had no idea the guy who bought the Green River Aquaman was a board member either.

Thanks also to everyone for helping out at the booth as well. I'm glad some of you were able to sell some books, have a "home base" to work out of for your deals, or have a place to go to just sit down for a while... It was also fun seeing Jim wheel and deal for his FF #1 or to see any of the other nice books (high grade and pedigrees) and original artwork that people came back to the booth with.

I don't know if I would call some of you pure collectors any more though... Once you cross into the dark side of being a dealer, it's hard to go back. One good thing about being a dealer though is talking to the customers... That's always interesting... even when they're trying to lowball you on a comic. cool.gif

-Shin

And Redhook, I didn't cut you off... I'm just too lazy to send scans or even make certificates. (I also don't have the time any more generally to sell comics by mail order.) Packaging them up, printing out invoices, etc. takes up way too much time that could be better used for other things.

-Shin

And Redhook, I didn't cut you off... I'm just too lazy to send scans or even make certificates. (I also don't have the time any more generally to sell comics by mail order.) Packaging them up, printing out invoices, etc. takes up way too much time that could be better used for other things.

Thank Shin. Just pm me what you have, what the price is and I'll get back to you. Since I trust your grading completely, if it's a matter of scans....just send me your grades. I don't need the certificates either. Since I'm here on the East Coast, and I can't make it out to the Bay area in person, it would be nice to hear from you.

Best, Red

I don't know if I would call some of you pure collectors any more though... Once you cross into the dark side of being a dealer, it's hard to go back. One good thing about being a dealer though is talking to the customers... That's always interesting... even when they're trying to lowball you on a comic. cool.gif

sorry.gif Selling and trading is the only way I can afford to acquire most of the books I'd like to own. Even if I'm not able to keep them in my short boxes indefinitely, it's great fun to go through the process of finding them. I usually lose a little money or break even on the books I end up selling. It's not very often that I make a profit on them. Plus, I make it a point to not lowball dealers when negotiating. In fact, there's a lot of times where I get little to no discount at all. I often don't even ask! I just try to identify good deals on comics that I'm interested in without having to grind someone for a lower price. Doing that isn't fun at all, IMO.

Not that it's a bad thing (it definitely isn't), but I don't really consider myself to be a flipper. I'm certainly not a very good one! FFB summed it up pretty well the other day when he compared me to a "catch and release" fisherman. Look for the book, find the book, get it, enjoy it for awhile, and move on to the next "big fish".

I definitely agree that talking with other people about comics is my favorite aspect of the hobby.

Thanks for letting us share the booth with you, Shin!