• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the super rare Whitman variants of DC comics

17 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed that the super-rare Whitman variants of DC Comics from the month of June 1980 seem to come from Canada?

Those rare Whitman variants include Action 508, Batman 324, DCCP 22, Superman 348, LOSH 264, Flash 286, JLA 179, Superboy 6, etc.   The following link contains a great description of them:

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/01/12/whitman-dc-variants/

Over the years, I've been able to buy at least 2 copies of Action 508, Batman 324, Superman 348, and JLA 179.  I believe every single seller was from Canada.   Since those are extremely hard to find, I'm wondering if Whitman packs of those issues were only sold in Canada (or something else weird happened, which makes them hard to find).  I have a friend who chases the Whitmans,  and he had the same observation about the Canadian connection.

I think the same also holds true for many of the scarce 8-12/1980 Whitman pre-pack issues (Uncle Scrooge, Little Lulu, etc.)

My personal speculation is that sometime in mid-1980, Western Publishing's distribution deals across the US fell apart, leaving only spotty distribution... copies going to Canada (and -perhaps based on anecdotal comments in other threads here on the boards- a few other international destinations) seem to have been less affected, though I still would not describe these issues as plentiful.

contrary perspectives welcomed...

Edited by Brock

7 hours ago, Brock said:

I think the same also holds true for many of the scarce 8-12/1980 Whitman pre-pack issues (Uncle Scrooge, Little Lulu, etc.)

My personal speculation is that sometime in mid-1980, Western Publishing's distribution deals across the US fell apart, leaving only spotty distribution... copies going to Canada (and -perhaps based on anecdotal comments in other threads here on the boards- a few other international destinations) seem to have been less affected, though I still would not describe these issues as plentiful.

contrary perspectives welcomed...

Thanks for weighing in!   (thumbsu

15 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

Whitmans were distributed in Australia as well.

Uncle Scrooge 179 - one of the rarest pre-pack issues - seems to be found either in Canada or Australia. Books like Black Hole 4 and DC Comics Presents 22 often seem to come from Canada. The more I search for these things, the more convinced I am about distribution problems occurring in the U.S.

has anyone else noticed specific examples that would back this up?

4 minutes ago, UhDerh said:

Don't worry, its still a stupid reason for wanting to buy a comic. Only stupid Noobs, dirtbag flippers and scumbag speculators care about Whitmans.

A usual cynical opinion that is common with today's uneducated internet user on the hobby.  

Please, enlighten the masses with concrete facts on why you spew this negative statement with the lack of any research.

Before making such ridiculous statements you should actually put the effort into learning how low the distribution of June 1980 DC Whitman issues were on those 8 titles.

Educated collectors do realize this, and albeit the demographic that collect this niche are low and supply is catching up with demand, these Whitmans always bring a premium.

Same holds true for the Sgt. Rock and Warlord issues.

Ironically, your own statement makes you look like the Noob.

On 7/31/2017 at 10:41 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

Has anyone noticed that the super-rare Whitman variants of DC Comics from the month of June 1980 seem to come from Canada?

Those rare Whitman variants include Action 508, Batman 324, DCCP 22, Superman 348, LOSH 264, Flash 286, JLA 179, Superboy 6, etc.   The following link contains a great description of them:

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/01/12/whitman-dc-variants/

Over the years, I've been able to buy at least 2 copies of Action 508, Batman 324, Superman 348, and JLA 179.  I believe every single seller was from Canada.   Since those are extremely hard to find, I'm wondering if Whitman packs of those issues were only sold in Canada (or something else weird happened, which makes them hard to find).  I have a friend who chases the Whitmans,  and he had the same observation about the Canadian connection.

Yes, I came to that same conclusion long ago.  Pretty sure the June 1980s were distributed only in Canada based on the available copies I've purchased/seen for sale.

2 hours ago, UhDerh said:

Distribution? Educated collectors? lol Educated collectors don't chase these, and educated collectors know only dumas fanboys would pay a premium for these. So dumb.

Your response speaks volumes to the public.  Just as I said earlier...

Ironically, your own statement makes you look like the Noob.

You need to stay paddling in the shallow end where your wit won't drown.

11 hours ago, UhDerh said:

Don't worry, its still a stupid reason for wanting to buy a comic. Only stupid Noobs, dirtbag flippers and scumbag speculators care about Whitmans.

Dirtbag flipper right here! I found 2 DCCP 22's in Saskatoon and 2 in Winnipeg all dirtbag cheap too. Still have a high grade one which I will sell sometime. It has dropped in value, but should still get over a grand for it. 

17 hours ago, UhDerh said:

You left out "obsessive nutcases".   That's me.... it seems crazy to want to chase down all the variants in any given title (like jeweler variants, 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th printings, newsstand variants, RRPs, misnumbered variants like the golden-age Superman 75 and Action Comics 223, DC Universe variants, mall variants of Adv of Superman 443, Superhombre variant of Superman 409, etc) but I can't help myself!

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, UhDerh said:

I am curious as to why you refer to "flippers" as "dirtbags" and "speculators" as "scumbags"'

Please note that I do not take personal offense at either of these terms as I am not a comic dealer, seller, flipper or speculator.  I am just a humble collector with a modest collection.  I do not, however, begrudge anyone who is buying books in hopes of making a profit.  If no one ever did this, then chances are my collection would be smaller than it is, as I have likely purchased from many "flippers" who found books that I was unaware of and then made them available to me.

As for Whitmans, I do not collect them, however, I am certain I have a number of them that I acquired "back in the day".   I did not buy them because they were Whitmans, I just bought them to read.

As for putting down what others collect, I find that strange.  There are many things that I do not collect, however, I am happy that other people collect them and that they find some joy in adding a piece to their collection.  There are also many things that I do not collect, however, when I see someone else's collection, I can admire the time and sacrifice they put in to putting it together.  If we all collected the same thing, I believe the world would perhaps be a little less special.

2c

On 8/2/2017 at 5:09 PM, UhDerh said:

Distribution? Educated collectors? lol Educated collectors don't chase these, and educated collectors know only dumas fanboys would pay a premium for these. So dumb.

:troll: