• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Next Great Big Auction Event post-Berk Collection... share your thoughts

59 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

Being a newbie, you should be made aware that "legend" is not exactly the way many hobbyists would describe him.

Don't know why but for some reason your post made me remember a question I have had for some time. Can you explain to me how books from the Hawkeye collection differ from those in the Church collection. :shy:

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

I'm a very bad man :devil:

Whaaaat, you had a habit of buying high-value restored Golden Age books and then knowingly flipping them as unrestored to unsuspecting collectors (for multiples of the initial price paid, of course!) too. :whatthe:

Or were you perhaps thinking more along the lines of tax evasion? hm 

56 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Whaaaat, you had a habit of buying high-value restored Golden Age books and then knowingly flipping them as unrestored to unsuspecting collectors (for multiples of the initial price paid, of course!) too. :whatthe:

Yeah but "cool books" makes everything forgiven.

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

Actually, he probably was thinking about rumors of forged coding.

8 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I believe the rumors were substantiated

Yup - the excuse allegedly given was 'stress' caused by the IRS breathing down his neck (it's always someone else's fault, even when you evade your own taxes).

When all else fails, he's keen on invoking the names of his pals (e.g., the hobby's ancient and all-powerful Good 'Ol Boys Club) to shield his honor (not that he has any left).

Lance Armstrong ain't got nothing on Mr. D. A...

9 hours ago, SuperBird said:

A guy I am buying off of in bits here and there seems to have full runs of many Marvel and DC golden age titles, keys included. Possibly there are many such collections around...

I know of a collector with absolutely first rate stuff, but prefers to stay out of the public eye. 

I think there still a few big time collections still ungraded!

4 hours ago, sacentaur said:

When all else fails, he's keen on invoking the names of his pals (e.g., the hobby's ancient and all-powerful Good 'Ol Boys Club) to shield his honor (not that he has any left).

Who is considered a GOB these days?

8 hours ago, sacentaur said:
9 hours ago, tth2 said:

Who is considered a GOB these days?

Who do you think? :makepoint:

Honestly, I don't know.  The guys I think of as old guard collectors who were his cronies really aren't very influential anymore, so I'm not really sure how they'd be able to protect him.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

The guys I think of as old guard collectors who were his cronies really aren't very influential anymore, so I'm not really sure how they'd be able to protect him.

Well, we are talking about the past (sometimes decades ago), so I suspect we're thinking about the same people.

On 8/2/2017 at 8:35 PM, Sqeggs said:
On 8/2/2017 at 7:40 PM, Readcomix said:
On 8/2/2017 at 6:32 PM, Sqeggs said:

:gossip: He sold most of his best stuff on the boards yesterday. 

You creamed him on the Cosmo #6 :kidaround:

He'll go to his grave regretting having let that one get away cheap! 

:pullhair:

12 hours ago, sacentaur said:
14 hours ago, tth2 said:

The guys I think of as old guard collectors who were his cronies really aren't very influential anymore, so I'm not really sure how they'd be able to protect him.

Well, we are talking about the past (sometimes decades ago), so I suspect we're thinking about the same people.

Ah, okay.  I thought you were talking about current matters.  

On 8/4/2017 at 0:51 AM, sacentaur said:

Wow ! :whatthe:

Edited by Gotham Kid

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, Readcomix said:

Someone here once told me he is also hoarding the Bill Barnes 7's. If it goes that deep, it's probably extensive. 

I heard the same.  For years that was a cheap book when one would surface.  Not so much anymore.

2 hours ago, Tsp99 said:

I heard the same.  For years that was a cheap book when one would surface.  Not so much anymore.

Yes, I still remembered getting a newsletter from Metro with a list of their Most Wanted a couple of years ago.

Besides the usual GA keys that they were looking for in all grades like 'Tec 29/31/35, Pep 22, Archie 1, Bat 1, the only other 4 "lesser known" GA books they were looking for in all grades were Master 27, Ace 11, Fantastic 3, and Bill Barnes 7hm

Maybe he's trying to stockpile all 4 of these GA books?  (shrug)