• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracked case. What is fair compensation ?

29 posts in this topic

I just received some winnings from an unnamed auction house to find one of the books has a cracked case. They have offered two solutions. One: I can send it back to them, on their dime, and they will get it reholdered.  Two: I can get a 15.00 credit. Seems fair but I'm not feeling good about it. Curious to see what you think.

- The books were packaged fine, plenty of inside layers, not a dent on the box = doesn't seem to be a packaging or delivery problem.

- If I send the book back for reholder, I was told to expect a 6 week wait. The book gets shipped back to the auction house, CGC return shipping will also go back to the auction house.

- I've had some bad experiences with reholdering in the past and would prefer to simply take the credit, maybe deslab the book into mylar. However, the 15.00 amount seems low to me, only compensating for the CGC costs.

My question, is it fair to expect more than a 15.00 credit ? I asked for an amount equal to my original shipping costs = we are only talking about a few dollars more but the auction house would not budge. Yes, I realize I am sweating the small stuff here. BTW, 500 book .  

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I just received some winnings from an unnamed auction house to find one of the books has a cracked case. They have offered two solutions. One: I can send it back to them, on their dime, and they will get it reholdered.  Two: I can get a 15.00 credit. Seems fair but I'm not feeling good about it. Curious to see what you think.

- The books were packaged fine, plenty of inside layers, not a dent on the box = doesn't seem to be a packaging or delivery problem.

- If I send the book back for reholder, I was told to expect a 6 week wait. The book gets shipped back to the auction house, CGC return shipping will also go back to the auction house.

- I've had some bad experiences with reholdering in the past and would prefer to simply take the credit, maybe deslab the book into mylar. However, the 15.00 amount seems low to me, only compensating for the CGC costs.

My question, is it fair to expect more than a 15.00 credit ? I asked for an amount equal to my original shipping costs = we are only talking about a few dollars more but the auction house would not budge. Yes, I realize I am sweating the small stuff here. BTW, 500 book .  

I guess I was born under a lucky star because I can only recall this happening once with a win from an auction house (had it happen several times with sales from eBay or dealers).  I was offered the choice of returning the book for a refund or receiving a $50 credit.  I took the credit.

In that case, the slab was really smashed and it was because of a bad packaging job. Not completely certain that CGC wouldn't have required that the book be regraded rather than just reholdered. The book only had a value of $75 or so, iirc, so maybe the auction house figured they'd just cut their losses and be done with it.  

Edited to add:  Now that I think about it, I also had that happen with another win from the same auction house.  More valuable book, so they said just send it back, which I did.  I don't remember the whole process taking as long as six weeks before I had the book back in hand in its new holder, but perhaps it did. 

Edited by Sqeggs

I would wonder if they think the book is damaged... Whether a reholder would keep the same grade... But I would take the reholder for the shipping that they're paying and all the work and stuff. $15 credit doesn't seem worth it to me I like my mylar but I like cgc cases especially if I buy them  that way...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

If they are paying for shipping and reholdering, it's a much better deal than $15. That's the way I'd go.

Bad experience with reholdering? Care to share?

I recently worked out a trade with a guy, and after things were agreed upon, he noticed cracks in three slabs. He was straightforward about it and offered to pay for the reholder and shipping fees to and from CGC. I immediately subbed them for reholder service, and I'm happy with the results. That's how it's done.

I don't see an issue with getting them reholdered if the comic is still undamaged inside the case. If the book was damaged, I'd have to negotiate with the seller.

2 hours ago, newshane said:

Bad experience with reholdering? Care to share?

Sure, though the company shall remain anonymous for now. Bought a slab (early Flash 10 center) from a dealer online. In hand the book had obvious waves. The dealer arranged for me to send it back to the slabbing company for review and reholder. Turns out they regraded it. It kept the same grade but the notes had an added notation about 'crinkling'. I get the book back and it was wedged very tightly against the upper edge. It now has both waves and a top edge crunch. I took it out of the slab. They gave me a 50.00 credit (not worth it). They are not acknowledging my request for proper compensation.

5 hours ago, spidermanbeyond said:

Get it reholder especially if they are paying for the shipping.  I had the same thing from ComicLink. Probably damaged from just handling. Slabs are easily cracked, even just from stacking flat.

How long did it take before you got it back ?

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:
6 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Man-up and crack it the rest of the way out.

That is what I really want to do.  

80% of the time it is a pleasurable experience.  The other 20% is when the books is overgraded, and stuffed in a slab where you can't see the flaws.  Nothing like 9.4 that is a 9.0 upon liberation.

7 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Sure, though the company shall remain anonymous for now. Bought a slab (early Flash 10 center) from a dealer online. In hand the book had obvious waves. The dealer arranged for me to send it back to the slabbing company for review and reholder. Turns out they regraded it. It kept the same grade but the notes had an added notation about 'crinkling'. I get the book back and it was wedged very tightly against the upper edge. It now has both waves and a top edge crunch. I took it out of the slab. They gave me a 50.00 credit (not worth it). They are not acknowledging my request for proper compensation.

Your wedge issue and subsequent damage was for you to sort out with CGC the slabbing company prior to taking it out of the slab.  

If it's not a CGC case issue then you shouldn't be posting about it here at all.....

I realize your path to post-sale compensation is through the dealer & perhaps gaining some consensus here might help you with yet another post sale renegotiation but IMHO a re-sub paid for by the dealer to appease you is at your risk, the new 'crinkling' note is something you have to live with....the edge wedge and subsequent damage is something you should have sent back for fixing to the proper party.  

14 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Man-up and crack it the rest of the way out.

Consider also that the book itself may have cracked the case , perhaps in it's own efforts and struggles to free itself from that sterile prison.... seeking only another chance to be a real comic again..... how can you place a dollar value on something like that ? Don't fight the force, Bob.... flow with it to freedom and forever .............. finish the job, soldier 2c GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

7 hours ago, kav said:

It's just me but for $15-$20 I just swallow it and move on.  It makes me feel good about myself.

Is it just me or does this seem like a prime candidate for the "out of context" quotes thread ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

11 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I took it out of the slab.

Well, that was the issue. If you cracked it out, of course they are going to re-grade it. Anytime you crack out a book, there are absolutely no promises that it will retain grade...just like when I crack slabs for signatures.

Had you left it in the cracked slab, I bet my next paycheck it would have retained its original grade. I've sent many slabs for reholdering...I never take them out of the slabs...and I've never had any problems.

Lesson for everyone? NEVER take it out of the slab when you send in for reholder service. (tsk)

Edited by newshane
grammar

10 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

How long did it take before you got it back ?

On my latest reholder sub - the invoice date was 7/19 and the ship date was 7/25. I got the book through USPS Registered Mail (slow) on 7/29.

That's pretty astonishing.

Not to mention the new slabs are so much more substantial and solid-feeling than the old ones.