• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WINNER ANNOUNCED Pg5!!! Test your Auto Body Appraisal Skills! Win a COMIC PRIZE! NOW WITH CHARITY AUCTION
2 2

95 posts in this topic

The body shop just called me and told me they're going to go over my car TODAY, and submit the info to the insurance company, who will probably take 2-3 days to get back to me with the findings and decisions, etc.  So get your guesses in, if you haven't already done so.  Time is running out!

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:56 AM, HemiGTX said:

Totaled

$2375 Salvage value

:news: WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

HEMIGTX of MINNESOTA!!!  (I will pm you soon!)

You hit it EXACTLY ON THE MONEY! Totaled with a $2375 salvage value!!!!

(it occurs to me that not everyone has the same definition of salvage value, I'm going buy what the insurance guy told me)

Some relevant facts:

Damage Total Estimate was $11,697.52 (I'll try to get an itemized list of the damage and post it)

My payout including prorated registration and tax stuff = $12,382.67 (They use comparable data from local DEALERSHIPS to come up with the number, allegedly)

Personal:

Thanks to all who played, and thanks  for your support and well wishes.

For those wondering, this is an extremely positive outcome for me and our family.  We were thinking about changing cars for the past year, especially since my wife can't drive manual (I tried to teach her but it didn't go well), and also to possibly take advantage of tax credits for electric cars (my workplace has chargers), before those credits disappear.  This is overall much easier than getting the car ready to sell (cleaning and maintenance), dealing with strangers and sales tax, etc.  And very likely we realized a much higher amount.

The Criminal:

I have yet to see a police report, though its supposed to come soon.  If and when possible, I will push for the toughest possible penalty.  The driver was being extremely reckless in a residential neighborhood, where there's 2 houses adjacent that teach music lessons to kids.  And the driver attempted to shirk responsibility, thankfully thwarted by our observant and quick-thinking neighbor.  I will update this thread with more information once I get it.

ONE FINAL REQUEST:

I really want to get something for our neighbors who witnessed the crime and gave great evidence to the police including video and the license plate.  PLEASE GIVE ME A SUGGESTION for what I should get them.  If it matters, they are a Japanese-American family with mom, dad, two elementary-age kids, a medium-small dog, and a father-in-law in an upper-middle class suburban area.  They just built their house on the lot behind my in-laws about a year ago, with a heavy 'wood' theme.

gift card or gift card to a nice restaurant 

As long as it doesn't affect what they give as evidence in the potential criminal case, I'm not familiar with such nor know if a "gift" affects such.

Without knowing them personally, a gift card may be better than outright cash, but to a restaurant maybe you know them enough to do such.

Mow their yard a couple times? offer to help in anyway? idk just a thought :shy:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

gift card or gift card to a nice restaurant 

As long as it doesn't affect what they give as evidence in the potential criminal case, I'm not familiar with such nor know if a "gift" affects such.

Without knowing them personally, a gift card may be better than outright cash, but to a restaurant maybe you know them enough to do such.

This.  Or better yet, invite them over for a cookout.

6 hours ago, shadroch said:
9 hours ago, aszumilo said:

That's racist.  If they were Mexican-Americans, I guess you'd recommend matching sombreros:baiting:?

I appreciate all suggestions, and will consider them.  It might be a little awkward, but I don't think bonsai is necessarily racist.  They have a new house (relatively), and if I knew something enough about bonsais to thoughtfully choose one and express my gratitude sincerely, it might be appropriate.  But I definitely see a tight needle to thread to avoid coming off the wrong way.  Unfortunately, I don't know enough about bonsais.  On a somewhat similar vein, I would be comfortable giving some nopales cactuses to Mexican friends or neighbors, as my dad has been growing them from my youth, and we eat cactus dishes and drink cactus juice on a regular basis despite not being Mexican.

Unrelated bonsai personal note:

Even though he fought against the Japanese in WW2, my grandfather was very very into bonsai plants.  He had a whole garden in his front yard.  He was very into peace and energy harmony as it relates to the body and mind, and even went to Taiwan to become certified in a very specific Chinese martial art (not really sure how to describe it, its more like a tai-chi but with even less self-defense application).  He was very very serious about bonsai, he would meticulously curate and manage the bonsais, and in some cases build elaborate displays and environments that would be like whole bonsai houses or small cities.

I got the estimate

Labor: 81.3 hours x $78 per hour + $120 sublet (whatever that is, storage?) = $6,6461.40

Paint and Detailing = $1,057.99

Parts and related taxes when applicable = $4,178.13

Total = $11,697.52

Also, the most expensive parts to replace were:

Left Quarter Outer Panel = $715.40

Left Rocker Air Dam = $673.42 (I have no idea what this is)

If you have any other questions about the damages, feel free to ask.

I said just went and emptied out my car and released it to the insurance company.  It was kind of bittersweet.  I was ready to let it go, but I bought the car brand new right before my third date with the woman who eventually became my wife, so it has been an integral part of our story.

On 8/23/2017 at 11:20 PM, aszumilo said:

I think this is a wonderful idea.  People like it when you appreciate their culture.

So the winner, HEMIGTX has graciously asked me to donate the prize comics to charity.  So we're having an auction in copper/modern

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/420960-captain-atom-1-45-auction-for-charity-ends-831-11pm-eastern/

you can clink the link above or in my sig line.

Please check it out.