• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children 1-30 Complete Set!!!

42 posts in this topic

I guess the quesion with these books is how does scarcity match up with desirability in the marketplace? This set is interesting to me, as it's kinda like bidding on a highgrade golden age non-key. Yes, it's super-tough, but how many people will bite? Like high grade no-name gold, these books are desirable mainly because they are difficult (i.e. not for the content of the actual books themselves...does anybody even know what's in issue #27?). That said, it wouldn't take more than two interested parties to make this set sell for a nice piece o' change.

Vewwwy interesting...

You totally need more pics. Pictures MAKE bids. Honestly, i've sold some pretty crappy stuff but if there's nice big pictures (use imageshack) people will have so much more faith in you.

It's funny.

In the old days when I'd sell lots I used one pic.

Say four VF non-key late Silver-Age comics worth about $10-$20 each...

I figure one nice large pic was better so they could check my grading but found no one wanted to bid.

Then I'd relist with four smaller pics and bingo. Many bids.

Sometimes people think you are lying about lots I guess unless they see them all.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, it's frustrating. eBay gives you the slideshow option, but the template made the slideshow appear in the tiny pic on the top left, not in the large pic below the description. Or did I miss something?

Yeah, I don't think we'll know 'til the very end. There are currently 10 people watching the auction.

Maybe they have copies and are watching to see what yours close at? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Well, I can put a few more pics up, but geez, shouldn't perfect feedback of over 250 mean something?

OK, I just covered your minimum bid. Might get you a little more attention. I'm sure I'll be outbid, and if I'm not, heck, I actually like the content and don't care how scarce it is.

But Jeff, wrong philosophy on the feedback/scans thing. It's not so much a matter of how good your grading is, it is that scans sell books. They are advertisements. Especially with a set like this where many people have not even seen the covers. And they are COOL covers. If I had sold this lot I would have used the option for $1.50 where you can include 12 scans. I'd show the 12 coolest covers and let the books sell themselves.

acclaim.gif

Surprised nobody outbid me. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, it'll be nice to have the complete set. I've never owned any copies above #18.

I love the Wasteland book from the same guys. Contains all one panel (full page) twisted gags in the same vein as this series.

Yeah, Wasteland is a very cool book, very "pre-vertigo" before vertigo became a somewhat predictable comic formula.

Are you talking about Wasteland the series, or Wasteland the graphic novel? I'm familiar with both as they are both cool. The GN is by the Ugly Children guys, the series was an anthology by various creators.

Russell, there had been so much talk about how rare a complete set is, I felt eBay was the best way to go. I could have taken your $100 offer, but then I'd never have known what the market was for these books.

I'm surprised you didn't bid.

Russell, there had been so much talk about how rare a complete set is, I felt eBay was the best way to go. I could have taken your $100 offer, but then I'd never have known what the market was for these books.

I'm surprised you didn't bid.

But - according to this thread - you didn't have a complete set... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Because of the the two trades? At this point, I'm not convinced they would have helped. This may indeed be a case of low supply, but also low demand.

Don't forget the PREVIEW... poke2.gif

I agree.

I was curious to see how this went and sorry that it didn't go higher for you. I saw some issues at a local con and would have sprung for them if they'd been near cover, but they were being offered at $8-10 a pop.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan