• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A surreal Moebius experience

6 posts in this topic

I'm in a small town in France at the moment. We were just waking around the local shops and bars yesterday evening when I walk past a used book and bande desinee (French graphic novel) store. 

I see a few photocopies of original art hanging off the counter including a Neal Adams spiderman sketch, two Silver Surfer and Galactus  pin ups by Mitton and even a pin up by Moebius. I ask the guy if he has the originals and he pulls out three folders full of art by French and Italian artist.  Amongst that folder were three or four sketches by Moebius, priced between €400 to €1000.  The original of the pin up I saw over the counter was €3,900.  

We struck up a half hour conversation although he didn't speak English and I didn't speak French. But the gist of it was that he knew someone who was an old friend of Moebius and that's how he was able to acquire all this art.

I didn't have the cash to buy any of the Moebius sketches. I already feel like this is going to be one of those decisions I regret.  

Edited by Skizz

I wanted to take pictures of a some of the art, particurly the Neal Adam sketch (which was only €100).  Because of the language barrier, communication was a bit difficult. But it didn't seem like the owner was too keen on letting me take photographs.  And without photos there was no way for me to verify if these were originals. One of the reasons I walked away empty handed ?

Edited by Skizz

Update:
Okay, so instead of live with regret, I took a risk and bought the piece below before I left from my holiday in France. 

I still do not know for sure if what I have purchased is legit or a fake. The shop owner seemed genuine and assured me it was authentic.  I can only hope. 

On a side note, I've had quite a few people message me to ask where this shop is. I thought I'd leave the info here for anyone interested. The shop is called Bulles Magiques in a town/village called Piriac in the west of France. They don't take card or have a website. Cash or cheques only 

image.jpeg

Edited by Skizz