• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me identify this book?????

4 posts in this topic

I know a scan of this would speak much louder than explaining it in words but I don't have access to a scanner where I am right now.

Found this book in my Father's things (they moved states after 55 years in the one house). It is a GA....probably late 40's (definitely after the end of WWII).

The title of the book is "A picture story of the United States". It has a yellow cover (on cheap paper) and the picture shows a map of america with a cavalcade of figures in different period dress walking across it.

It is 48 pages....the inside story is a basic description of america's history. There is no indicia, there is no number and there is no price. On the back cover there is a map of the USA showing the 48 states (at that time) and a note down the bottom saying "Distributed by United States Information Service".

I couldn't find it in OS....so any help would be appreciated.

I do not know much about the book you mention but USIA/USIS produced tons of comics for an overseas audience. Some were educational and some were part of a campaign to influence. I would think that your book would have a large print run if USIS were involved. As an example, here is the print run (up to June 1967) for several anti-Castro comics distributed in South and Latin America.

From COMIC BOOK POLITICAL MARKETING: an initial overview by David Dunn, University of Southampton 10-04-03

El Despertar – 2, 685,500

La Traicion – 2,176,700

La Estafa – 2,247,700

La Punalada – 2,060,500

Los Secuestradores – 2,181,500

La Mordaza – 1,816,500

Los Expoliadores – 1,979,500

Escuela de Traidores – 1,010,500

La Tierra es Muestra – 476,000