• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago -- August 23-26, 2018
1 1

233 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

If you were at the show looking for oa or commissions, this wasnt the show for you.   The artist alley list was pretty bad.  

You could've approached the pumpkin carving guy about commissions lol

the question of how dealers did can be misleading. The dealers who have the right stock, price accordingly, set up their booth with the intent to sell will make money. always have always will. The question then becomes in relation to previous years, how did you do?

there were plenty of dealers who think they can put boxes on a table, not price their books (or in some cases overprice them) and then expect their stock should sell. well that's probably not going to happen.

were there buyers at the show with big pockets, yes there were.

Edited by jsilverjanet

24 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

the question of how dealers did can be misleading. The dealers who have the right stock, price accordingly, set up their booth with the intent to sell will make money. always have always will. The question then becomes in relation to previous years, how did you do?

there were plenty of dealers who think they can put boxes on a table, not price their books (or in some cases overprice them) and then expect their stock should sell. well that's probably not going to happen.

were there buyers at the show with big pockets, yes there were.

I also like to ask if the dealers did well vs the booth fees.  Wizard is not cheap and if a seller does 5x the booth fees its a big chunk of cash but probably not a killer day unless you are selling $1 books since you are giving 20% to the house just to be there.  Very, very few Con pictures floating around which would have been unheard of years in the past.  This was THE Con for buying books and pulling in the big hitters and I'm not seeing much energy (except Hector who bought well and lives local).  Joey - what did you think?

On 8/24/2018 at 11:52 AM, manetteska said:

General Q: At large, multi-day shows like this, what % of dealers re-stock (or bring the inventory to re-stock) from one day to the next?

Was reading the last couple days of post and saw this.  I'd think very, very few dealers restock unless they are a local store and did killer on the 1st couple days.  Most big dealers who can afford to set up at Wizard bring a set booth with them and leave restock stuff at home for the next Con.

32 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Looking for some dealer help; he was setup in booth 514 -- listed as Golden Memories -- and is from New York.

The NY Golden Memories comic store said it's not them and a Google search has nothing.

I have his business card at home. I can message you the info later tonight.

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Very, very few Con pictures floating around which would have been unheard of years in the past.  This was THE Con for buying books and pulling in the big hitters and I'm not seeing much energy (except Hector who bought well and lives local).  Joey - what did you think?

This is kind of the impression I’ve gotten too. Very little enthusiasm during or after this show in this thread aside from Hector, and the few pics posted show fairly empty aisles. I know of a couple dealers who’ve said that this might have been their last setup there. 

4 hours ago, mysterio said:

This is kind of the impression I’ve gotten too. Very little enthusiasm during or after this show in this thread aside from Hector, and the few pics posted show fairly empty aisles. I know of a couple dealers who’ve said that this might have been their last setup there. 

I bought around 30 books and spent about as much as I did last year. I enjoyed the show, but it did not have the same "vibe" as in years past IMHO.

I agree with Casey about the vibe, but I still managed to buy more books than I ever have at a show. I also had a good time hanging out with friends I don't get to see nearly often enough.

If the aisles were indeed bigger, that was a great move. Getting from booth to booth was usually not bad at all. In the past, the aisles could be very crowded, especially going in and out of the hall.

It seemed like there were plenty of shoppers. I was both boxed in and boxed out of Comics4Less' booth several times. Also, greggy ridiculed what I bought several times, so that seems like a pretty WW Chicago show to me. :takeit:

One main reason we didn't set up this year was the long heard buzz of the show progressively going down each year.  Our sales at WW last year were pretty good, but we did amazing at C2E2 this year, and chose to just make C2E2 this upcoming year our one major show this time.  It's gotten tougher finding keys the last couple years, and we'd rather be very well stocked with some great key issues, than having a mediocre stock and doing a show every 3 months.

10 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

i went Friday and sunday.  Friday was a no mans land - super dead.  sunday was surprisingly busy.  

Saturday was dead. Metropolis had the smallest booth I’ve ever seen of theirs. I think this was my last WW.  I’ll stuck with C2E2

20 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

i went Friday and sunday.  Friday was a no mans land - super dead.  sunday was surprisingly busy.  

Didn't the admin price drop quite a bit for Sunday?  That could explain why people avoided Saturday.