• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

For those still keeping score, Joker has earned $324.113 million in North America. That means it’ll pass Deadpool 2 ($324 million, counting that PG-13 Once Upon a Deadpool cut) and Suicide Squad ($325 million) domestically today or very early tomorrow, with an over/under $3.5 million weekend that should put it over the $327.4 million cume of It.

It’ll need Thanksgiving to get past Batman v Superman ($330 million), after which point it’ll be just behind the deluge of very big comic book flicks (Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Aquaman, Spider-Man 3) that earned between $333 million and $336 million in unadjusted domestic earnings. At a glance, barring a major Oscar boost, it’ll probably end with just under $340 million. Once it passes Aquaman, it’ll be the second-biggest domestic DC Films flick (behind Wonder Woman’s $412.5 million cume) and, with $1.022 billion global, the second-biggest DC Films flick globally behind Aquaman’s $1.148 billion cume.

By the way, presuming that 31.7/68.3 domestic/overseas split is intact, the film will pass Captain Marvel ($701.4 million) overseas sometime today or very early tomorrow. Among all comic book flicks, it sits behind Spider-Man: Far from Home ($741 million), Captain America: Civil War ($745 million), Iron Man 3 ($806 million), Aquaman ($811 million), The Avengers ($895 million), Avengers: Age of Ultron ($944 million), Avengers: Infinity War ($1.369 billion) and Avengers: Endgame ($1.937 billion). And it’s even higher on the list if we remove China from the equation.

Crazy! And all without China.

Hi

I saw this movie after it had been out in theaters a few weeks. I assume it was filmed in a manner that would remind people of the 70's. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I may enjoy it just as well on a Sunday in front of the television set. I guess I don't have the greatest attention span, because i found Avengers Endgame much more captivating and enthralling, and it was able to grasp my attention from beginning to end.

49 minutes ago, BaronSamedi said:

Hi

I saw this movie after it had been out in theaters a few weeks. I assume it was filmed in a manner that would remind people of the 70's. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I may enjoy it just as well on a Sunday in front of the television set. I guess I don't have the greatest attention span, because i found Avengers Endgame much more captivating and enthralling, and it was able to grasp my attention from beginning to end.

It really is okay that you appreciated Avengers: Endgame more. But it is also okay not every movie has to be Avengers: Endgame. Or funny. Or dark. Or light. Or PG-13. Or R-Rated.

Variance in the comic book genre makes it that much more fresh. Something to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving! :foryou:

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It really is okay that you appreciated Avengers: Endgame more. But it is also okay not every movie has to be Avengers: Endgame. Or funny. Or dark. Or light. Or PG-13. Or R-Rated.

Variance in the comic book genre makes it that much more fresh. Something to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving! :foryou:

I agree, happy thanksgiving!:foryou:

Joker earned another $2 million (-26%) this weekend to bring its domestic total to $330.6 million. That puts it, sans inflation (but absent 3-D bumps), above the $330.3 million domestic total of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. An R-rated, 2-D psychological drama with no action and little onscreen violence just passed the unadjusted cume of the first live-action on-screen team-up between the Caped Crusader and the Man of Steel (featuring the live-action debut of Wonder Woman). In many ways Joker is everything everyone said that DC Films SHOULDN’T be doing with their movies, namely being violent, dark, cynical, adult-skewing and lacking in conventional humor and aspirational qualities.

And yet, it will soon pass Aquaman ($335 million), along with (among superhero hits) Guardians of the Galaxy ($333 million), Spider-Man: Homecoming ($334 million) and Spider-Man 3 ($336 million) to become the second-biggest DC Films flick in domestic grosses behind Wonder Woman ($412.5 million). Its $1.04 billion global cume puts it just behind Aquaman ($1.148 billion) worldwide. Anyone can cook. In a skewed way, looking at the top grossers for DC Films (not counting the unrelated Chris Nolan Dark Knight sequels, which earned $533 million domestic and $1.004 billion in 2008 and $448 million/$1.081 billion in 2012) for domestic and worldwide earnings shows a refreshing contrast.

In North America, the two biggest (unadjusted) domestic earners for DC Films are Joker and Wonder Woman ($412.5 million in 2017). Patty Jenkins’ superhero origin story was aspirationally inclusive, as the first female-driven comic book superhero biggie in a generation, with a female director and a top-tier budget to boot. It was the first female-led comic book flick to get rave reviews and become an unmitigated mega-smash. The Gal Gadot/Chris Pine adventure represented essentially everything the pundits said DC Films should be doing in the aftermath of Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad. On the other hand, Joker is, all due respect, none of those things.