• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

With a substantial portion of the country continuing to quarantine as coronavirus numbers continue to surge, HBO Max continues with its otherwise solid launch. The platform itself carries most movies bearing the likeness of DC Comics characters. Even then, one of the newest entries from DC Films continues to be the most popular on the platform. A new study published by the streaming platform trackers at Reelgood suggests Joker isn't only the most popular comic book-related movie on the service, but the most popular movie overall.

Todd Phillips' Joker leads the way in popularity on the service and is followed by the Brad Pitt-starring Ad Astra; Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone then rounds out the top three of the most popular movies available on the service. According to the study, Joker has a 7.3-percent share of all movie streams on the service. Ad Astra notched 5.2-percent of the streaming share while the Sorcerer's Stone earned 2.4-percent of market pie.

When it comes to small-screen properties, Rick & Morty is the most popular television series available for streaming on HBO Max. The Adult Swim hit is then followed by Game of Thrones and FRIENDS.

Phillips and Phoenix collaborated on the film, one which ended up tallying 11 nominations at the 2020 Academy Awards. In fact, Phoenix ended up winning Best Actor for his role. According to the director, Phoenix's professionalism in the craft was a leading factor in his ability to walk away with the word.

Joker has reclaimed its position as the most popular comic book movie available on streaming services in the past week New data unveiled by Reelgood suggests the Joaquin Phoenix-starring flick was streamed by three-and-a-half percent of the site's two million-plus subscribers, making the movie the most popular comic book movie on the serve. The site, one which tracks streaming usage and subsequently compiles that data, has revealed this week, the popularity of Joker was closely rivaled to that of Birds of Prey (3.2-percent) and Netflix's The Old Guard (3.1-percent).

Reelgood's top five most-watched comic book movies then rounds out with Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man: Homecoming, which swooped up 2.8 and 2.7-percent of the "market share," respectively. You can see the site's full top ten below.

top-10-comic-book-movies-week-of-sep-14-2020-1237973.thumb.jpeg.26ff21871ea58b3860112f54a7dbb39f.jpeg

On the TV side, Amazon's The Boys continues to dominate comic book shows currently available for streaming. It looks like the streamer's decision to switch from a binge model to weekly-release has afforded the Eric Kripke-led show some additional legs as viewers now to have to tune in week after week as opposed to watching the whole thing in one sitting. For the past week, nearly a quarter of Reelgood users tuned in to at least one episode of the hard-R superhero series.

That was subsequently followed by The Umbrella Academy and Lucifer, both shows currently streaming on Netflix. Surprisingly enough, The Walking Dead also managed to crack the top five, getting a three-and-a-half percent slice of the streaming pie.

‘Joker’ Tops 2020 UK Home Ent Chart
Joker was 2020’s biggest home entertainment title in the UK, with more than 1.4 million copies of the film sold across physical disc, EST and TVOD, according to industry body BASE.

In total, the market was worth £3.3BN across the year, up 26% on the previous 12 months. Digital formats accounted for that growth, with TVOD (transactional video-on-demand / rental) purchases up 24% in 2020 and EST (electronic sell-through, or digital purchase) across both film and TV up 14.5%. During the lockdown, the total number of customers buying and renting grew by 14% to 12.9 million, according to research company Kantar. Streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon grew by 42% in the year and now represent 74% of the total market value. The market for physical was down from £477M in 2019 to £365M in 2020, with the closure of some high street retailers for much of the year impacting sales.

On 7/29/2020 at 4:28 AM, Beige said:

Took a while to get to cable here.

Damn that was superb.

Best DC film ever made.

10/10

It was great but The Dark Knight is still king of the hill. Not only the best DC movie but the best comic book movie ever made. Joker would have fit right in with the Nolanverse. 

Edited by Oddball

4 minutes ago, Oddball said:

It was great but The Dark Knight is still king of the hill. Not only the best DC movie but the best comic book movie ever made. Joker would have fit right in with the Nolanverse. 

Heath Ledger's Joker won't be beaten by a Joker solo film. Ledger's Joker has intrigue and mystery; Something that was severely important to the success of his character.

I watch The Dark Knight every year. I haven't re-watched Joker since it left theaters. It's a very good movie, but it's not very re-watchable IMO.

Since some sites stirred the pot again against long-time Hollywood creators with articles about 'they hate comic book films' this may have gotten missed.

In a recent sit-down with Deadline, Scott shared his feelings on Phoenix's performance in Joker. In a nutshell, Scott spoke of Pheonix's work as being "almost Shakespearean," saying that that much of what audiences see from Phoenix on screen is based on the character's authentically "damaged soul." Although Scott shared his belief that Phoenix can practically "do anything," he is particularly excited to monitor his portrayal of Napoleon as he breathes it into existence. See what Scott said regarding Phoenix's portrayal of the Joker below:

"He is elegant enough to contain his rage and say, what older, wiser man can do this instead of me? So, it’s almost Shakespearean, and I think, you know, Joaquin can do anything. So, when he then does something like Joker, there are moments in the Joker that I’ve never seen before. There are reactions in the Joker which are silly. You can’t just say they’re not evil. They’re coming from a damaged soul. And that’s what I’m looking for: What will Joaquin’s version of Napoleon be? He will be the painter of his own portrait, and I’ll be there to monitor it as best I can because that’s what I do. I make sure I cast great."