• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I heard they are making a sequel....and to me, that is a horrible idea

Right now it has turned out to be a rumor. Though both Joaquin Phoenix and Todd Phillips said they are opening to it IF the right story can be achieved worth following up on the first film.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Right now it has turned out to be a rumor. Though both Joaquin Phoenix and Todd Phillips said they are opening to it IF the right story can be achieved worth following up on the first film.

As much as you want to see a continuation, it is so hard to even come close to the original.

11 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

As much as you want to see a continuation, it is so hard to even come close to the original.

Are you... Judging a film that doesn't exist and hasn't even been conceived...?

Or are you blanket-judging sequels?

Spoiler

(The difference between "the" and "an".)

If the latter... The Empire Strikes Back, The Dark Knight, and The Winter Soldier are just 3 examples of films that build massively on their prequels. BvS, as well, since it's considered Part II of the Superman Trilogy.

13 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Are you... Judging a film that doesn't exist and hasn't even been conceived...?

Or are you blanket-judging sequels?

Reveal hidden contents

(The difference between "the" and "an".)

If the latter... The Empire Strikes Back, The Dark Knight, and The Winter Soldier are just 3 examples of films that build massively on their prequels. BvS, as well, since it's considered Part II of the Superman Trilogy.

I'm sorry...there was a planned "Superman trilogy?"

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

I'm sorry...there was a planned "Superman trilogy?"

Man of Steel Batman v Superman Justice League

It was intentionally designed to be a Superman trilogy. Obviously, it is incomplete without the JL Snyder Cut.

Justice League Part II was going to be more classic JL rather than Superman-heavy/reliant.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Man of Steel Batman v Superman Justice League

I didn’t know that. I thought there was a Man of Steel 2 planned before or around the time Justice League was in production.

Just now, Grails said:

I didn’t know that. I thought there was a Man of Steel 2 planned before or around the time Justice League was in production.

More or less - you're not wrong.

You could compare it to Thor's story carrying on past his 3rd self-titled film.

This "trilogy" completed Superman's origin arc. The JL Superman was always intended to be "everyone's favorite boy scout". The Superman people 'expect'. Snyder wanted to help people connect to a flawed person in MoS and BvS. It worked very well for me. People could then witness his final developments into his undying faith of humanity, etc, after the events of JL. The Anti-Life Equation was supposed to be involved. So much :censored: that we didn't get to see that would've helped us understand why Superman is "all good".

Even in BvS, as Alexander says, "if God is all good - then he cannot be all-powerful". Superman refused to kill Luthor and Batman. He is all good.

rantrant

15 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

More or less - you're not wrong.

You could compare it to Thor's story carrying on past his 3rd self-titled film.

This "trilogy" completed Superman's origin arc. The JL Superman was always intended to be "everyone's favorite boy scout". The Superman people 'expect'. Snyder wanted to help people connect to a flawed person in MoS and BvS. It worked very well for me. People could then witness his final developments into his undying faith of humanity, etc, after the events of JL. The Anti-Life Equation was supposed to be involved. So much :censored: that we didn't get to see that would've helped us understand why Superman is "all good".

Even in BvS, as Alexander says, "if God is all good - then he cannot be all-powerful". Superman refused to kill Luthor and Batman. He is all good.

rantrant

yeah - I don't buy it.

If anything, it would make sense that the "Superman trilogy" would be Man of Steel, BvS, Man of Steel II.

But Justice League was always planned as a two-parter, so that doesn't work for me (even if Part 2 was supposed to be more "Justice League-centric.")

(And it better have been, because one of the [many] critical faults of Justice League is that Superman alone could have saved the day, with zero help from the rest of the team.)

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

yeah - I don't buy it.

If anything, it would make sense that the "Superman trilogy" would be Man of Steel, BvS, Man of Steel II.

But Justice League was always planned as a two-parter, so that doesn't work for me (even if Part 2 was supposed to be more "Justice League-centric.")

(And it better have been, because one of the [many] critical faults of Justice League is that Superman alone could have saved the day, with zero help from the rest of the team.)

Whether or not you "buy it" bears no weight on the truth.

WB was hellbent on releasing Justice League prior to any consideration for Man of Steel 2. Zack Snyder always intended on creating a 3-part Superman story. He almost accomplished this - if not for studio interference. Justice League is clearly a Superman movie. Everything from the beginning and credits, the entire convergence of relying on his resurrection, his entrance into the 3rd Act... It's all Superman, so much so that Whedon couldn't cut (or add) enough of his content to make it more of an overall team movie.

Justice League was written/designed as a 2-parter because of the Superman Trilogy. Snyder wanted to do the team justice, in a fashion, by actually showing off the full team dynamic in Part 2. Regardless of whether or not that works for you, that was Snyder's compromise of character/content for having to compromise on his Superman story. I'd bet that most of the things you don't like, you probably blame on Snyder, when that's just deflecting it from the true cohorts (WB). This isn't to say that Snyder has no blame to receive, but he gets flak for many things that he just isn't responsible for.

You also have a method of character expansion after MoS, too. BvS cameos them, JL introduces them, and JL2 was to show them off. There was tons of character content written, executed, and cut from JL. After those intros, it only makes sense that you can 'show them off' as equal members in the sequel. Snyder was the only one at Worlds of DC with a plan. It wasn't perfect, but it was different, and it was something. Now WDC is basically a headless chicken.

rantrant Part II

Please list links that show contemporary proof of this plan -- preferably either citing a Warner Bros. exec, Christopher Nolan, or Zack Snyder *prior* to the release of BvS.

And preferably, prior to the release of Man of Steel.