• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toronto: hobby-specific locations worth a visit

34 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, staffman said:

I'll be at the Fan Expo helping out in Artist Alley with Dave Johnson, Cary Nord, Mark Irwin, etc in area P211 if anyone wants to drop by and say hey.  Always enjoy meeting fellow collectors in person.  Just ask for Chris. I will be up this Wednesday so I will definitely check out BMV and the Silver Snail, so thanks for the info on places to check out.

Will stop by for sure

30 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Will stop by for sure

Cool.  I just realized we will be partnering right next to Capullo so that will be pretty cool to see him in person.  Just look for a tall thin bearded/short haired guy running around with an ipad sling on him and that will most likely be me.

42 minutes ago, MagnusX said:

For those of you going to BMV this is the address

Very close to Spadaina or Bathurst Subway station

Screenshot 2017-08-28 09.56.52.png

I see there is a location for BMV by the Silver Snail.  Is the 471 Bloor St a better one for finding bargains or are they all equally the same?

12 minutes ago, staffman said:

I see there is a location for BMV by the Silver Snail.  Is the 471 Bloor St a better one for finding bargains or are they all equally the same?

They are Not the same, The 471 Bloor location is the Biggest and Better...

(thumbsu

On 2017-08-28 at 10:59 AM, MagnusX said:

They are Not the same, The 471 Bloor location is the Biggest and Better...

(thumbsu

Yes Bloor is by FAR the biggest.  Be sure to check out the DVDs/movie & music books in the basement...some esoteric stuff there for sure...

This being said, there is a possibility that you may find something at the Edward Street location (that's near the Snail) that you wouldn't at Bloor.  BUT if you only have time for one make sure that it's the Bloor St location.

Edited by pemart1966

On 8/27/2017 at 9:12 PM, Dumur said:

If I weren't in the middle of a big move during the time you were coming, i would invite you over (or to a nearby cafe) and you could look at my collection and talk art...

I'm not in the middle of a move, but it's a long weekend and we're going to be up at the cottage. @SquareChaos you happen to stay into next week or longer, and/or return again, you're welcome to come by to check out my collection. Have a good trip!

1 hour ago, comicwiz said:

I'm not in the middle of a move, but it's a long weekend and we're going to be up at the cottage. @SquareChaos you happen to stay into next week or longer, and/or return again, you're welcome to come by to check out my collection. Have a good trip!

Very much appreciated - everyone has been very kind and helpful! This trip is going to be quite packed as we're only staying a short three days and four nights, but it sounds like I might have to start planning trips around stopping and admiring other generous collector's collections! lol

9 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Very much appreciated - everyone has been very kind and helpful! This trip is going to be quite packed as we're only staying a short three days and four nights, but it sounds like I might have to start planning trips around stopping and admiring other generous collector's collections! lol

Hey David,

Enjoy your time in Toronto. I am actually here right now too with my son. We are doing a bit of back to school shopping and then headed Friday all day to FanExpo to have a look around! It's a great city to visit. Too bad the Blue Jays are out of town or I would recommend seeing them while there.

Enjoy and hope all is well!

mathew

11 hours ago, artistlost said:

Hey David,

Enjoy your time in Toronto. I am actually here right now too with my son. We are doing a bit of back to school shopping and then headed Friday all day to FanExpo to have a look around! It's a great city to visit. Too bad the Blue Jays are out of town or I would recommend seeing them while there.

Enjoy and hope all is well!

mathew

Thanks Mathew - I'm looking forward to it. Enjoy the day with your son, it sounds like fun!

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

Didn't get out to any shops in Toronto but Fan Expo was a blast - recap on my site if you are interested:

https://thejadegiant.wordpress.com/2017/09/04/fan-expo-2017-the-dale-keown-experience/

Great to meet you at the show @JadeGiant  You guys made the show that much better.  

I did not manage to have much time away as I hoped but I did get to the one BMV location down by the Silver Snail and man that one alone was great.  While no where near the size of the other store, there were some good bargains to be found.  I struck gold with a signed Frank Quitely book for $20.  I will definitely make it a priority to get to the Bloor location next year.  Oh and if anyone is looking for a sweet tooth fix while in Toronto, you should stop in at Sweet Jesus and get some decent ice cream.  

3 minutes ago, staffman said:

Great to meet you at the show @JadeGiant  You guys made the show that much better.  

I did not manage to have much time away as I hoped but I did get to the one BMV location down by the Silver Snail and man that one alone was great.  While no where near the size of the other store, there were some good bargains to be found.  I struck gold with a signed Frank Quitely book for $20.  I will definitely make it a priority to get to the Bloor location next year.  Oh and if anyone is looking for a sweet tooth fix while in Toronto, you should stop in at Sweet Jesus and get some decent ice cream.  

You too man. Missed on the ice cream this year - next year for sure!