• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: ASM 129 - Faded - Grade is in!
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Bought this for very low priced at a local comic shop. Obviously faded comic -- but otherwise very crisp edges, staples are mint, no blotches...creases....only negative is of course the obvious fading of the front color. 

IMG_20170827_090104.jpg

IMG_20170827_090126.jpg

IMG_20170827_090157.jpg

Edited by YouFoundDonon

I hate it when the LCS keeps a nice book like this open to light and it fades. Unfortunately, it is a very bad flaw and will probably be hammered by CGC. I've never submitted a book like this, with full cover fade, so it's difficult to say but maybe it can stay in the midgrade range ? If the rest of the book is 9.4/9.6 I would hope it stays in the 6.0 range.

15 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I hate it when the LCS keeps a nice book like this open to light and it fades. Unfortunately, it is a very bad flaw and will probably be hammered by CGC. I've never submitted a book like this, with full cover fade, so it's difficult to say but maybe it can stay in the midgrade range ? If the rest of the book is 9.4/9.6 I would hope it stays in the 6.0 range.

What I don't get is why then is it faded on both the front and the back? Did they flip it every other day?

2 hours ago, YouFoundDonon said:

Thanks guys, it looks like 4.5-7.0 is the range we are "hoping" for. I paid $200 for the book at a shop, so I will more than happy with anything over 5.0. Going to send it out tomorrow and will promise to update when I get it graded. 

The more I think about it, I'm going with an official guess of 7.0 . I do think that is the highest grade it can get though. Good luck !  

I'll be curious to see the result. Just as one data point, I dimly remember a CGC 4.0 X-Men 94 shown here many years back that was downgraded for a severe front cover fade... in my mind the book was pretty tight other than the fade. Anyone else remember that one?

If I'm entirely honest, for me $200 doesn't feel that far under the 'right' price to pay for the #129. I would tend to value a book with heavy fade more like a G to GVG... though who knows, red hot book as always and the market could well say otherwise.

CGC is probably more forgiving than I would be with heavy fading. I suspect it will come at least 5.0, but to me it's such a major eye-appeal killer that I have a hard time thinking of it being worthy of that sort of grade.