• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy 100th. Birthday Jack Kirby
1 1

26 posts in this topic

All hail The King on his centennial!   One-hundred years from now, the greatest works of his prodigious imagination will still be as fresh, exciting, and challenging as they were the day he created them.

I only have one scan handy at the moment -- the first Kirby comic I remember buying off the stands as a 10 year-old. My OO copy is still in my collection, but it's not nearly as nice as this one, which I got from MCS a year or two ago...

cap198-9_8a.thumb.jpg.0dc7493bbdcddce8c83a15e94c2bb2ed.jpg

Hey all...please see below for an artifact from the old boards (ca. 3-4 years ago or so): my thumbnail scans for ALL of the books in Jack's legendary and mythopoeic Fourth World saga, which many King Kirby fans (including me!) regard as his magnum opus -- the purest extant expression of  Kirby's mature & untrammeled cosmic imagination, albeit tainted by short-sighted editorial and commercial considerations which, sadly, were beyond Jack's control.

Unfortunately, due to Photobucket's decision to screw its users, I'm not sure if the links to the full-size scans are still available.  Bummer!   

The good news, of course, is that Kirby's visionary appreciation of reality, in all of its multifaceted glory, cannot be limited by size, which like time itself is relative, and which his pulp fiction forays into quantum microverses ("Worlds Within Worlds") obviated anyway. 

Kirby's love supreme for truth and beauty, as he envisioned it, will never be constrained.  As Blake said, "If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite..."

Time isn't holding us, and time isn't after us...that which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath already been.

Long Live the King, and happy birthday indeed! 

(thumbsu

Here's the complete series as originally published in the early 1970s (with a few exceptions -- see below), sorted (quickly) into a rough approximation of publication order by cover date. Any corrections to this order would be very much appreciated -- I really do believe it's best to read these in the order in which they first appeared on the newsstand, even though the individual title runs do hold up very well when read on their own.

I've excluded several non-Kirby comics featuring his Fourth World characters in issues of Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane, and at least one post-Kirby issue of Jimmy Olsen. Also not pictured is Kirby's somewhat anticlimactic Hunger Dogs graphic novel, published in 1985. However, I have included issue #6 of the 1984 New Gods reprint series, which features a (then) new conclusion to the storyline (by Kirby, naturally).

What's pictured below represents (to me at least) the canonical original "Fourth World" saga in its entirety:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Forever People: 1 - 11

Mister Miracle: 1 - 18

New Gods: 1 - 11; reprint series (1984) 6

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen: 133 - 139, 141-148

---------------------------------------------------------------

th_4thworld-01.jpg th_4thworld-02.jpg th_4thworld-03.jpg th_4thworld-04.jpg th_4thworld-05.jpg th_4thworld-06.jpg th_4thworld-07.jpg th_4thworld-08.jpg th_4thworld-09.jpg th_4thworld-10.jpg th_4thworld-11.jpg th_4thworld-12.jpg th_4thworld-13.jpg th_4thworld-14.jpg th_4thworld-15.jpg th_4thworld-16.jpg th_4thworld-17.jpg th_4thworld-18.jpg th_4thworld-19.jpg th_4thworld-20.jpg th_4thworld-21.jpg th_4thworld-22.jpg th_4thworld-23.jpg th_4thworld-24.jpg th_4thworld-25.jpg th_4thworld-26.jpg th_4thworld-27.jpg th_4thworld-28.jpg th_4thworld-29.jpg th_4thworld-30.jpg th_4thworld-31.jpg th_4thworld-32.jpg th_4thworld-33.jpg th_4thworld-34.jpg th_4thworld-35.jpg th_4thworld-36.jpg th_4thworld-37.jpg th_4thworld-38.jpg th_4thworld-39.jpg th_4thworld-40.jpg th_4thworld-41.jpg th_4thworld-42.jpg th_4thworld-43.jpg th_4thworld-44.jpg th_4thworld-45.jpg th_4thworld-46.jpg th_4thworld-47.jpg th_4thworld-48.jpg th_4thworld-49.jpg th_4thworld-50.jpg th_4thworld-51.jpg th_4thworld-52.jpg th_4thworld-53.jpg th_4thworld-54.jpg th_4thworld-55.jpg th_4thworld-56.jpg

Edited by jools&jim

He was remarkably consistent, which is why I hated him on some stuff, because it wasn't a right fit for that specific comic or character.  BUT he was PERFECT for FF.

IMG_6888.jpg