• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IS THE CGC MARKET CRASH DEPRESSING YOU?

33 posts in this topic

To toot our very own forum member's horn. Congrats Tom Gordon of Monumental Collectibles working on new hi-end comic/cgc 9.0 up Ostreet mkt report starting summer 2003. 32 pg MONTHLY newsletter for a subscription fee of $75/yr. Plz read the new article.

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=2213&si=121

There was also an FF #48 CGC 9.4 WHITE that didn't make reserve and ended at around $1500. That is worrying me a bit, since I bought the same book 2 months ago for $1800. Some thoughts? Is it the war?

Sadly, I don't think that the War has anything to do with a faltering FF 48, even in CGC 9.4! There are ALOT of FF 48s around in 9.2 and better, and if a buyer is hunting one, he can be picky as far as the mechanics, color, date stamps, etc., present on any particular high grade up for grabs. MANY 9.2s and 9.4s will fall by the wayside, being passed over by lowered bids because a buyer for this issue can be VERY choosey with so many to pick from. I believe that ComicLink once had approx. 10 copies of this book ranging from VF to NM+ at one time on their site!!! Now, if you're looking for a 9.4 #49, #50 or #55....be prepared to $PEND!!!!

Firstly CGC isn't the only game in town.It's an interesting game,to be sure,but the fate of the entire comics market does not revolve around it.

There are still deals and finds and whatnot to be had,both known and unknown.

The known has already gone up in price,the unknown is the next "big thing" to hit our hobby.

Segments of just about any market are driven by Buy/Sell/Trade.Also by supply and demand.Theres a lot of gambling going on and the ones who usually sweep chips are not the bold risk-taking heroes we read about so constantly-It's the "Invisible Person" who quietly goes about his/her business,studying trends,studying the market,absorbing knowledge and,generally being in the right place at the right time.Buying low and selling high,even if the buy was a bit of an impulse.Sure I probably didn't *need* 100 copies of Batman #497,first print but at 5 cents a shot,I still got an awesome deal for five bucks.And who knows.....?

I probably get more good information out of the daily classifieds than just about anywhere else.Excellent source of garage sales,auctions,and whatnot.Of course,picking up a "Comic Book Marketplace" or "Comics Buyers Guide" every so often doesn't hurt either.And whenever possible,find yourself in the serendipitous

situation of having a pocket full of $$ just when your favorite comics dealer is unboxing the fine collection of a panelologist who prematurely expired and was thoughtfully turned in by his dear,sweet,mother.

Keep your eyes,ears and options open.The world is out there,you just gotta do some digging ,that's all...

Dude, Chrom. That picture scares the hell out of me every time I see it. HOW DID YOU SURVIVE??? Wait, DID you survive?!?!? Are you posting from... The Beyond??? Oh jeebus, you're living dead, aren't you. Well, my zombified friend, you'll find that you'll go quite hungry around here as brains are in short supply!

Yeah, seriously. I keep trying to mentally work out an ending to that pic, and I can't seem to come up with one where he lives, or at least walks away with his knees intact.

The more I look at that picture.......the more it looks like that car was edited into it after the jump (yes.....I'm secretly Mr. Obvious).

So my question is.......what was he really jumping onto? That grin on his face would suggest a very soft girlfriend. tongue.gif

jump.gif

It's a death-defying life I lead, I take my chances.

I'd die for living in the movies and for me.

But the hardest thing I ever do is watch my leading ladies,

kiss some other guy while I'm bandaging my knee.

I might fall from a tall bulding,

I might roll a brand new car,

'Cause I'm the Unknown Stuntman that made Redford such a star.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Ok, it's an edit job smile.gif

The jump was real (and stupid) though, there was no car there, just a pile of clothes...

Picture was taken at my frat house about 15 years ago, I was the jock of the house (got into uni on an Athletic scholarship) and I was forced (they promised me beer) to do stupid stunts all the time.

This time I went to the roof of the smallest building which was overlooking the garden and just jumped. The bet was that I had to keep looking in the lens all the time. To give you an idea on how stupid we were, everybody took off their jackets and sweaters to make a sort of target where I would land 'softly'

The jump (well 'drop' actually) was about 20 - 25 feet and I 'only' sprayed my ankle...

I used to have a picture where I'm carsurfing on the highway as well, but I foolishly gave away my only print to impress a woman mad.gif

These days I get scared if I have to walk down more than three flights of stairs... laugh.gif

But it was fun being the 'fall guy' for a while

Holy crapola shocked.gif .........you jumped off the ROOF?.......I just thought that you had jumped off that stair railing. shocked.gif

I think a wider angle shot of you jumping from the roof onto a pile of their jackets would even have been better than the car shot. smile.gif

The picture was taken by one of my roomies who was leaning out of a window on the second floor, well on the first floor actually, but for some reason you 'mericans call the ground floor the first floor...

Oh and don't sweat the roof thing, Belgian buildings are a lot closer to the ground than the US ones smile.gif