• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on NM collecting
2 2

84 posts in this topic

Of course I'd love to have 9.8 (not necessarily slabbed) across the board and fill my collection with them but here's my question. How realistic is that? Buying raw on ebay you just take your chances because individual grading is extremely subjective and buying slabbed can break the bank. For those of you that have huge un-slabbed collections and like the highest grade possible what do you settle for? For me I tend to stick within 9.0-9.6 and hope I get some 9.8's along the way but the problem is I sometimes cant seem to grasp how a book would grade out to determine if its NM or not. For example if a book is virtually flawless everywhere else but the spine has tiny stress marks all up & down (no color break) to me that would be a VF+ but maybe I'm being too strict. Maybe an easier way to ask that would be how many of these tiny stress marks can there be until it drops into VF range?

Edited by kingjohn3

I don't think your questions really have answers, as each collector will have a different context.

I collect NM if I can get them, but in my focus areas, it may not be feasible.

Grading is subjective, and it is up to you to decide what you'll settle for.

What era are you collecting?  If you're collecting modern, a 9.4 would be considered low grade.  If you're collecting golden age books, a 6.0 would be considered high grade.

I'm now collecting Bronze stuff from low VF to 9.4 because I like a book that gives the impression that it's been well cared for.  But when I was collecting Silver Age, I was happy to have Mega Keys in any grade and I liked a book in Fair (1.0) as long as it didn't have certain kinds of flaws.

My point is that you should find the grade range and material that fits you best.  And don't fall into the trap of feeling that if a book isn't a 9.8, then it's not worthy of a collection.  Fact is, even some of the most seasoned collectors send books off expecting a 9.8 and they come back lower.  There are also cases of people cracking out books and having them come back lower or higher.  Grading at the upper end is so subjective that it gets ridiculous.  Plus the technical grade doesn't always paint the best picture.  For me, I love a book that has a perfect spine, even if the edges of the book hold the grade down.  And I love a books that have bright glossy covers.  So if I had to choose between a 9.2 that had great color and a perfect spine, or a 9.6 that had staple stress lines and a little tinge of fading, guess which one I'd pick?

Don't stress, and try to enjoy yourself.  Buy what moves you.

I tried buying NM copies of everything for a short while in the 90's when I thought that's what I was supposed to do.  I wasted money replacing anything that wasn't in top shape, and would sometimes come home with a book that had a back cover defect hidden by the board that I'd have to buy all over again.  It was pretty dumb.

My suggestion is buy books that you enjoy looking at, and don't grade them.  The number grade will definitely get in the way of you appreciating a comic.

6 minutes ago, kav said:

How many new books on the shelf at the LCS would be 9.8s roughly what percent?

I submitted two write out the shelves one came back 9.8 one came back 9.6 not enough of a sample choice lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I submitted two write out the shelves one came back 9.8 one came back 9.6 not enough of a sample choice lol

I was in a discussion about this and wished I knew an answer.

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Too many factors really such as where the did the LCS  get the books

Diamond

Lets say the LCS owner is careful what % of books on new book rack would come back as 9.8?

1 minute ago, kav said:

Lets say the LCS owner is careful what % of books on new book rack would come back as 9.8?

From Diamond I'd say a good percentage, not exactly how much, but at least 75% would be my guess.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

thx

In all honesty when I say I sub right off the shelf, I mean my LCS will ship to CGC for me etc. So in this instance I just picked them off the shelf went to the cash register paid and they set them aside....to ship

Are you hoping for 9.8s? 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

In all honesty when I say I sub right off the shelf, I mean my LCS will ship to CGC for me etc. So in this instance I just picked them off the shelf went to the cash register paid and they set them aside....to ship

Are you hoping for 9.8s? 

If Im picking them,yes.

We'll again I've done it a couple of times with variants, especially if there is a cheaper copy to actually read....i don't often buy variants though aspen nor diamond. This was my first look at Michael Turner... And got carried away lol

It was the Batman rebirth 1 if anyone wants them for $150

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Are you hoping for 9.8s? 

No I just had someone ask me about this.