• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on NM collecting
2 2

84 posts in this topic

Just now, Artboy99 said:

ZERO

Thats what i was thinking but i dont know enough to say for sure.

25 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
48 minutes ago, kav said:

Thats what i was thinking but i dont know enough to say for sure.

You hit 39,000 posts and I was there for it :tink:

At least a 100 had some content to them.

Edited by lizards2

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

Content shmontent

Just now, kav said:
2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Content shmontent

Case in point....., hm

I would love for someone to just walk up to the onsite grading one day with a literal unopened case from the distributor and see how many 9.8s come from that.    If anything comes back lower than a 9.8 there better be a 9.9 or a 10 to make up for it.

15 hours ago, Phantalien said:

I would love for someone to just walk up to the onsite grading one day with a literal unopened case from the distributor and see how many 9.8s come from that.    If anything comes back lower than a 9.8 there better be a 9.9 or a 10 to make up for it.

It has always been my understanding that most books -- even ones directly from the printing press-- do not have much of a shot at being 9.8 due to handling. Perhaps that opinion has changed somewhat but that was the going theory during the late 1970s as I recall. Finding a bunch inside a bundle from that time period would be impressive. I'm certain methods have changed significantly since then as far as shipping methods are concerned though.

I've moved WAY down from NM, just look at my sig line lol

But I've also moved toward GA and am looking for the reading experience more than the $$$ experience. 

When I look through CLINK autions and see "Highest Graded" .... I immediately know I have no chance at landing that book.  I'm not even going to try. 

52 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

It has always been my understanding that most books -- even ones directly from the printing press-- do not have much of a shot at being 9.8 due to handling. Perhaps that opinion has changed somewhat but that was the going theory during the late 1970s as I recall. Finding a bunch inside a bundle from that time period would be impressive. I'm certain methods have changed significantly since then as far as shipping methods are concerned though.

Pretty sure 9.8 wasn't even a grade in the 1970s

16 hours ago, Phantalien said:

I don't think you understand mass production.

16 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

good point-- it was more or less a three grade system with "Mint" being the top. It seemed a pretty loose definition at that. I base that mostly on how Overstreet had their book set up. I was too young to really evaluate my books beyond noting missing or torn covers. Now we seem to examine every inch of the book for flaws

6 minutes ago, Senormac said:
25 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I remember "good" , "fine" and "mint"

I remember buying a couple ASMs (16, 19 and 21?) at a Portland convention in the late 70s that were "pristine mint".  They were, of course, for the time.  I need to pull them out sometime and take a look.

Edited by lizards2