• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should books graded 9.6 have notes?
1 1

Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. should books graded 9.6 have notes?

• Yes
    • No
    • Greggy aka Crack

79 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, grayzr said:

If the book is not 10.0 I feel some sort of notes should be giving to determine why its not perfect. 

A quick example like "One nanometer tear on left edge"

Would be nice to know.

Ha, yes, but then CGC would be giving it away.  As near as I can tell 9.8, 9.9, 10.0 are all mythical grades made up by CGC, and they are applied without explanation.  Because if you explained them, then you could be pinned down.

4 hours ago, Phantalien said:

The more CGC comments on why a comic got points deducted the more we can figure out what crazy way they grade.  

I don't think that's true.  You could potentially gather individual point deductions for a flaw if that is the only flaw, but you'd have to have books that each only had one of each flaw.  And even then, that doesn't tell you if there's any extra point deduction for an aggregation of flaws.  You'd need a huge sample of graded comics and some decent game theory skills to extrapolate approximate grades.  Ain't nobody got time for that

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 2:37 PM, WoWitHurts said:

I agree.  It shouldn't be some mystery.  I buy more 9.6 books than 9.8 simply because I can't justify double the price. I think 9.6 books look every bit as nice as 9.8 in most cases.

Yes! Some of my 9.6 look better than some of my 9.8. And saved a lot of money on them so I can get more keys. I also like buying a 9.6 better than a raw someone claims is a likely 9.8 because it probably won't be. 9.4 I can always see defects but not some 9.6.

I also owned a cgc 10.0 and one of the corners wasn't perfect imo.

Edited by jason4

4 hours ago, jason4 said:

Yes! Some of my 9.6 look better than some of my 9.8. And saved a lot of money on them so I can get more keys. I also like buying a 9.6 better than a raw someone claims is a likely 9.8 because it probably won't be. 9.4 I can always see defects but not some 9.6.

Thank you for saying that

I wish you hadn't said that

14 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

One of the tricks is that you can't see half the flaws present unless you remove the book from it's CGC inner and outer well.  Plenty of surprises lurk beneath the encapsulation.

Spine stress lines are 99% of your grades in 9.6 or higher. The fewer the better. Breaking color will matter too, as whether they are on the front spine or back. Very small creases about a small spine stress will usually equal a stress line rather than a crease. Also the lightest of bends may still yield 9.6 or possibly a 9.8 depending on how light and low long. Use different light sources at different angles to see stress lines or bends. Interior defects (pages) don't count for much unless they are extreme (like a 1" tear on a page or such).

Hey everyone. How hard would it be to juzt have a number system for the grader? Not hard at all right

1 spine 

2 dent

3 corner

4 tear cover

5 tear page

6 other

Specifics would be nice, but why not have at least a general universal? 

Edited by Konrad5288

7 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

These are the reasons why as a collector I stick with 9.6 on moderns.

Yes 9.8 is the way to go for investment purposes but I rather get double the books for the money.

Plus if you are picky and patient you will come across 9.6s that look identical to 9.8s

12 hours ago, Konrad5288 said:

Hey everyone. How hard would it be to juzt have a number system for the grader? Not hard at all right

1 spine 

2 dent

3 corner

4 tear cover

5 tear page

6 other

Specifics would be nice, but why not have at least a general universal? 

This is a fine idea if there were only 5 flaws, like you listed. However, in reality, there are multitudes of flaws, 6 = other just wouldn't cut it. Color fade, stain, thumbprint, substance on book, writing, staple tear, spine roll, indentation, scratch, crease, dirt, chips, dangling chips, waviness, stress, bends, spine split, tape, detached at centerfold, detached on cover, scrape, general wear, pieces missing, etc, etc, etc.  

I think the only way to get comprehensive notes would be to pay more for the service and perhaps only in certain tiers. Maybe there needs to be a new 'Full Service' tier. This could include, before and after pics, comprehensive notes, extra padding in shipping, etc. Hey CGC, you listening, a Full Service tier option !

The higher tiers will get more notes, logically usually due to more flaws. But it's more important why that Fantasy 15 is a 4.5 and not a 6.5, so the owner should have more details about the flaws. There are many hidden flaws like those stains inside the cover that will bring down the grade and you may scratch your head and wonder why. You look at an encapsulated 9.4 but the grade says 8.0. You should be able to know that there is a nickel size stain on the inside front cover that can't be seen on the outside. Most times are due to the fact the stain is behind some dark section on the front cover.

As for more comprehensive notes by paying extra for them? I doubt that is going to happen, at least any time soon. People complain as it is about the turn around times, even though the majority are still on time. 40 business days is a long time and a few months ago, the turnaround times were about 10-15 days on things like economy and value. 

27 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

its not about detailed notes, my issue is very specific - I would like to see notes on 9.6 books especially if you provide them on some (of the same book) on the same invoice. 

I think most of those would be "very light spine stress lines", possibly with a "breaks color".

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This is a fine idea if there were only 5 flaws, like you listed. However, in reality, there are multitudes of flaws, 6 = other just wouldn't cut it. Color fade, stain, thumbprint, substance on book, writing, staple tear, spine roll, indentation, scratch, crease, dirt, chips, dangling chips, waviness, stress, bends, spine split, tape, detached at centerfold, detached on cover, scrape, general wear, pieces missing, etc, etc, etc.  

I think the only way to get comprehensive notes would be to pay more for the service and perhaps only in certain tiers. Maybe there needs to be a new 'Full Service' tier. This could include, before and after pics, comprehensive notes, extra padding in shipping, etc. Hey CGC, you listening, a Full Service tier option !

I was just stating as an example for people to have a general(as stated in my post), not specific, idea of what to look for.  Like on spine. there may be a lot of damage or barely anything but you would know to look at the spine rather than just staring at the book trying to figure it out. There would obviously be more numbers.  If the grader chooses not to make notes why not at least give the submitter a general clue as to why the book was lowered.  And the number 6 "other" was a specific reference to the fact of there being something that the comic was dinged for, but CGC does not want to announce their exact grading criteria to the public. This would probably come into play for only the higher grades.  If you had the "other" listed as reason for a 9.6 instead of 9.8 you could at least cancel out all the other "general" defects. 

Edited by Konrad5288

1 minute ago, Konrad5288 said:

I was just stating as an example for people to have a general(as stated in my post), not specific, idea of what to look for.  Like on spine. there may be a lot of damage or barely anything but you would know to look at the spine rather than just staring at the book trying to figure it out. There would obviously be more numbers.  If the grader chooses not to make notes why not at least give the submitter a general clue as to why the book was lowered.  And the number 6 "other" was a specific reference to the fact of there being something that the comic was dinged for, but CGC does not want to announce their exact grading criteria to the public. This would probably come into play for only the higher grades.  If you had the "other" listed as reason for a 9.6 instead of 9.8 you could at least cancel out all the other "general" defects. 

And on anything lower than say a 9.2 why would anyone need the flaws listed? You will be able to see flaws most of the time on a 9.0 or lower comic.

6 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

IMO, there's already too much tiering.  I think the $5 notes fee is already basically double dipping.

This seems to me a matter of what kind of company one wants to run.  I want my customer to feel they got more than full service, not that they got nickle and dimed and paid twice for the same work.