• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The IH181 of 2040
3 3

101 posts in this topic

This always boggles the mind. IH181 was a 30-40.00 book in the mid 80s. In NM nonetheless. That's approximately 60-70.00 by today's standards. But not just that, it wasn't even anything that you'd get excited over. Sure, if u were a marvel fan you probably had one, cause it was a key, but if u were collecting trending books you'd probably be after a sizzling indie, or a hot new DC book, a s&n limited edition book, or whatever Chuck Rozanski hyped on his monthly newsletters.

So...

Which ONE book that goes for (up to) 70.00 today do you see as a hot, in demand, 1000.00+ book in the mid 2040s?

Tip - it doesn't even have to be a first appearance ;)

Edited by Aweandlorder

1 minute ago, Aweandlorder said:

Isnt it already a 1000$ in NM?

right-ok how about Incognito #1 once they do the movie.

I've bought a couple of Adam Hughes lol I think that is just as unlikely as any :) and I'll be the first to compare that AH! for DC is great for cover's as Neal Adams was.....? :whatthe:  as far as still found for $70

also many Harley Quinn raw's are only $70 take your pick

IH 181: the total census back in early 2015 was about 7,200.  It is now 9,694.  In only 2.5 years' time, the # on census has increased 35%!  Surely some of those are CPR. 

I don't think we will have a character from a book in the 80's do what Wolverine in IH 181 has done value wise and fame wise... at least nowhere to the same extent anyway. Not  to mention the current scene of constant movies and shows has made everything more expensive, faster. 

My sleeper (make that hibernation) longshot pick with Millarworld just being bought by Netflix... Secret Service #1 :insane:

No matter what heats up, this thread will be fun to look at in 23 years! :preach:

Edited by Rhymenoceros

I'm not particularly current on the past 2 decades, though I am aware of the popularity of e.g. Deadpool and Harley Quinn.  Even have a copy of NM98.

What stands out to me, is most of the characters who became 'big' following the flagship superhero characters of the 60s have been anti-heroes.  Wolverine, and Punisher stand out, possibly because the tendency for a pendulum swing -- from goody-goody Superman, and boy scout Captain America, to tame bad goodguys like Batman or DareDevil in the 70s, to genuine bad guys like Wolvie and Punisher who became very popular a decade later.

The popularity of Ledger's Joker (2008) as a psychopath instead of the tamer Jack Nicholson version (1989) was another example.

Not sure if pendulum would ever swing back on this and lead to resurgence of popular new character from the true-blue side of the hero spectrum.  Was Spidergwen or Gwenpool ever popular, or just a short-lived fad?  So my guess is on the anti-heros mentioned at top as the 'easy' guesses.

1 hour ago, grebal said:

I'm not particularly current on the past 2 decades, though I am aware of the popularity of e.g. Deadpool and Harley Quinn.  Even have a copy of NM98.

What stands out to me, is most of the characters who became 'big' following the flagship superhero characters of the 60s have been anti-heroes.  Wolverine, and Punisher stand out, possibly because the tendency for a pendulum swing -- from goody-goody Superman, and boy scout Captain America, to tame bad goodguys like Batman or DareDevil in the 70s, to genuine bad guys like Wolvie and Punisher who became very popular a decade later.

The popularity of Ledger's Joker (2008) as a psychopath instead of the tamer Jack Nicholson version (1989) was another example.

Not sure if pendulum would ever swing back on this and lead to resurgence of popular new character from the true-blue side of the hero spectrum.  Was Spidergwen or Gwenpool ever popular, or just a short-lived fad?  So my guess is on the anti-heros mentioned at top as the 'easy' guesses.

That's a good insight re: the anti-hero, and agree Deadpool and Harley Quinn are probably the two most popular modern "anti-heroes" currently. Between BA12 and NM98, BA12 is likely the more rare book. NM98 was well into Liefield's NM run, and there's over 13,000 in the census, with 2800/3700/2300 in 9.8/9.6/9.4. BA12 being an atypical "comic book" and more a book about the animated series outside DC continuity, far less was likely printed and kept high-grade bagged/boarded for later (comparatively, just 3500 on the census, and 600/900/600 in 9.8/9.6/9.4). I think both characters probably have potential staying power, although if I had to guess just one, I'd probably go with Harley Quinn given Jim Lee's recent comments that she's become a "4th" pillar of DC.

Of course these books are way above $70-80 raw today...that barometer is a tough one given how quickly books appreciate (just look at Totally Awesome Hulk 22 going for $50+ raw already speculating that Weapon H may have staying power).