• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The IH181 of 2040
3 3

101 posts in this topic

Back to the OP's topic ASM 134 & 135 along with IH 180 & 182 have started momentum

but what about key's that climbed but could eventually climb higher:

Marvel Spotlight 5 could spike again as it is a household name/thingy, there really aren't many Wolverine key's imo other than first appearances, popularity, and then movie craze. The same could happen with first appearance of Ghost Rider, there is a thread in BA forum, but I don't know what made wolvie continue to rise other than it was once inexpensive and everyone said duh and wanted one.....wolvie could be cleaned up for the 90's cartoon, I don't see them putting a flaming skull in a kids show to grow popularity, but as times change who knows. At least movies could be done idk

1 hour ago, Westy Steve said:

So what will repeat the success of IH181?  I don't think it can be repeated

I don't agree w this statement soz. I think that in this crazy time we live in, EVERYTHING is a key! More than ever before for sure. It's just a matter of separating the boys from the men at this point. I'm a strong believer in sustainability, that's why I created this topic. ANYONE can pick hundreds of NEW keys and say: this is it. 

But time and time we saw, that true keys are ones that stay and grow. 

In that regard I agree with Kav, ASM300 will most DEFINITELY become an IH181 grail by 2040. Prolly before that time. But it's no fun buying a key for 300-500$ if u can buy a few for the same total amount and wait a little longer. 

I cant go wrong with buying an established key when that book is asleep. I may not make money on it. But I won't lose on it. I did that with MP15, Star Wars 1, Tick and many other books when they weren't as hot as they are now. I also did it w less established keys and had good results but not as great. It's always safe when u have a budget set and u don't go overboard. 

4 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Only thing that seems to fall in your range then is Spider-Gwen and you're not accepting that. She has proven pop culture appeal.

How many people do you see at SDCC in Lobo gear?

WHEN will we see spider MJ and spider aunt May???

20 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Only thing that seems to fall in your range then is Spider-Gwen and you're not accepting that. She has proven pop culture appeal.

I have to agree.  Spider-Gwen is everywhere while Lobo has yet to deliver anything at all.  It's strange that cos players can have such a large influence on the market, yet here we are......

33 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yup she's certainly more relevant now. Definitely a top contender for the near future. An EOSV2 can flirt with NM98 prices as soon as she moves up to Hollywood

I just don't know if this whole fem power resurgence will last for more than a decade let alone 25 years. 

Remember - if it's a hot book now, there's nothing to speculate here about. IH181 wasn't a hot book in early to mid 80s. Hard to fathom but that's just because so many other books were more exciting and relevant. Same w ASM129, up til 86 it was a 2.00 book. Thanos wasn't even mentioned as a 1st appearance on IM55 till 89.  

Thats what I'm looking for here, an established property with promise. I have many moderns I can speculate on and they may truly work but let's focus on older properties that have appreciated and show some promise.

So far I'm with OM3 and SW1

if you're willing to spend a bit more  can't go wrong w asm300 imo

3 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I have to agree. Spider-May sounds better than Spider-Gwen. 

Dont know about looks tho

well they could use the young sleazy May from 'Trouble'.

Marvel_Trouble_1.jpg

10 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

IH181 wasn't a hot book in early to mid 80s.

They were hot but not first appearance/Wolverine hot they were "new X-men" hot, like first Byrne (MTU 53), MTU Ann 1, PM & IF 57, Rom 18, Dazzler 37 and a few others :facepalm: ....I think I paid as much or more for my PM/IF 57 as I did for my IH 180 back then, 181's weren't easy to find... I was always on the lookout for a 181 as a dupe for my X-men collection since the Hulk set with both issues got traded back & forth quite a bit. :smile:
 It's also hard to compare eras because something selling for $10.00 when new issues were $0.35 is equivalent to a hundred dollar book today....if you use new issues as a price index.

19 minutes ago, bababooey said:

They were hot but not first appearance/Wolverine hot they were "new X-men" hot, like first Byrne (MTU 53), MTU Ann 1, PM & IF 57, Rom 18, Dazzler 37 and a few others :facepalm: ....I think I paid as much or more for my PM/IF 57 as I did for my IH 180 back then, 181's weren't easy to find... I was always on the lookout for a 181 as a dupe for my X-men collection since the Hulk set with both issues got traded back & forth quite a bit. :smile:
 It's also hard to compare eras because something selling for $10.00 when new issues were $0.35 is equivalent to a hundred dollar book today....if you use new issues as a price index.

I was comparing books in the mid/late 80s to today. I think 87 was the first year that the market saw a huge bump in (then) current trending books and less with established bronze keys. Bronze X-Men were still the sh*t, but IH181 wasn't as big as a TMNT 1 or as trending as a Dark Knight Return 1. 

The Punisher Mini made ASM129 a 30$ book that year, that's a few bucks less then a Nexus magazine #1 back then 

even tho it wasn't commanding high prices, I remember I was more excited with Badger than I was with Wolverine, because the character was a lot crazier than Logan. 

And TMNT just made everyone speculate on print runs w indie b&w funny animals books. It truly was the WD of the 80s.

Take any of those books that were speculated on back then and look at them today and you'll find only a handful of them that lasted. Most aren't even known today.

thats why I don't speculate on moderns for the long run

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

That's why I described comic collecting as a historically pricey hobby, even when I started collecting in 1977 as a 13-year-old.

Being used to buying 12p comics from a bus station news stand, and then going to my first comic marts and seeing books such as ASM 121 for £8, which would've been around $15 at the time.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/4/2017 at 11:12 PM, Mapleleafvann said:

I have to agree.  Spider-Gwen is everywhere while Lobo has yet to deliver anything at all.  It's strange that cos players can have such a large influence on the market, yet here we are......

It's only strange if you don't accept that fact that everything changes. We are now a very visual society. Everything for younger generations is geared towards recognition through symbols and not words. Comic book characters have become pop culture symbols.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

It's only strange if you don't accept that fact that everything changes. We are now a very visual society. Everything for younger generations is geared towards recognition through symbols and not words. Comic book characters have become pop culture symbols.

I have another thread that touches on this subject here somewhere ?

IMG_6115.PNG