• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The IH181 of 2040
3 3

101 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

The most confusing thing to me about IH181 is that over the past few years when prices kept rising it was happening right when hugh jackman retired his character.  No matter how they try to bring wolverine back, it is never going to surpass jackman's wolverine.  Which will directly affect the demand for the book over the long term.  Bad time to invest.  

He's been dead in the comics for a while now though and the popularity of the character is still strong.....hopefully not everything is movie related :wishluck:

Just read through this chain...things that stuck with me were "a key that is not being speculated upon" and reflections of the current culture, so.....in order these thoughts came to mind:

Don't know where Justice League Dark stands as a rumored movie, but a well-executed Etrigan could steal the show.

People love a good dystopia...Kamandi?

And, outside the $70 parameters, but room left -- Namor is the original anti-hero of comics; pick your key and wait and hope.

And man vs robot is a pending cultural moment; Random House owns the Gold Key properties; Maybe the stars align for Magnus one day?

Edited by Readcomix
Typo

3 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Just read through this chain...things that stuck with me were "a key that is not being speculated upon" and reflections of the current culture, so.....in order these thoughts came to mind:

Don't know where Justice League Dark stands as a rumored movie, but a well-executed Etrigan could steal the show.

People love a good dystopia...Kamandi?

And, outside the $70 parameters, but room left -- Namor is the original anti-hero of comics; pick your key and wait and hope.

And man vs robot is a pending cultural moment; Random House owns the Gold Key properties; Maybe the stars align for Magnus one day?

Good picks---I like your thinking....

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/3/33/Marc_Spector_Moon_Knight_Special_Edition_Vol_1_1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110812193331

This book of course it has both Moon Knight and Shang Chi. This is a huge key their first meeting future Ironfist and Luke Cage :D  but serious side I have no idea but I am sure that it is not Omega-Men 3.

Let's compare 1985 Wolverine to Lobo today:

In 85 Wolverine was one of the most liked comic book hero already. Lobo today well yeah people here know who he is but thats about it. I think Lobos success was  at its highest in early 90's cos he was "RAD".

In 85 Hulk 181 was 30-40 book like OM3 is now but even with all these hype/rumor things about characters appearing on tv shows/films OM 3 book price is not risen at all in few years.  Even Silver Surfer 3 book price rise because of some stupid rumors about Mephisto appearing in Defenders.

Maybe the print run for OM 3 is huge or something else is wrong with that book like Next Men #21 which has Hellboys first appearance who has been in two movies and still it a cheap book.

8 hours ago, godzilla43 said:

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/3/33/Marc_Spector_Moon_Knight_Special_Edition_Vol_1_1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110812193331

This book of course it has both Moon Knight and Shang Chi. This is a huge key their first meeting future Ironfist and Luke Cage :D  but serious side I have no idea but I am sure that it is not Omega-Men 3.

Let's compare 1985 Wolverine to Lobo today:

In 85 Wolverine was one of the most liked comic book hero already. Lobo today well yeah people here know who he is but thats about it. I think Lobos success was  at its highest in early 90's cos he was "RAD".

In 85 Hulk 181 was 30-40 book like OM3 is now but even with all these hype/rumor things about characters appearing on tv shows/films OM 3 book price is not risen at all in few years.  Even Silver Surfer 3 book price rise because of some stupid rumors about Mephisto appearing in Defenders.

Maybe the print run for OM 3 is huge or something else is wrong with that book like Next Men #21 which has Hellboys first appearance who has been in two movies and still it a cheap book.

I totally agree that the timetable parallels between both books don't sync. I will further go to say that IH181 was a HUGE key already in the early 90s. But that's also when indies were commanding top dollar as well. So the market was in a bubble (much like it is today) and u just couldn't tell which key would stick. Many speculators would tell you to keep away from keys like IH181 (not ALL, but many) because they are overpriced. It's laughable to think about those speculators now preaching on those dead stocks, yet here we are again. Same scenario, different books. 

I don't think OM3 is a sure thing. I'm just saying that it's a sleeping giant much like IH181 was for many many many years. It's an example of a key with tremendous potential. Not a sure thing

Wolverine is soooo incredibly entertaining.  His character just exudes coolness.  I think Hugh Jackman nailed his persona, but Wolverine as cool before Jackman and his death in the comic book doesn't take away from all of the great stories that many of us still haven't read.  And we also need to consider the affect of re-runs.  There are so many X-Men movies with Jackman in them.  In fact, can anyone name a character/actor combination that has been in more movies?  Possibly Downey Jr's Iron man, but that's about it.  Going to $70 by 2040?  No way...not when some of us will still be able to watch reruns of Xmen movies with Jackman in them with our Grandchildren.

So what will repeat the success of IH181?  I don't think it can be repeated, in the same way that kids buying NM copies of comic books can't expect the same kind of return that kids from the 40s/50s/60s/70s had when they bought stuff off the stands and took care of them.  There are too many choices today, and the clock has had decades to determine that there won't be anything close to the IH181...if it hasn't emerged now, it probably won't.  My advice?  Bank on a winner...buy another IH181.  Or better, buy Wolverine's early appearances.  It amazes me how cheap IH182 is considering the value of the 181.  A good second appearance should be....what...20 or 30% the value of a 1st full appearance?  Yet clearly it isn't.  Its about 5% if you shop around.  And his early appearances in X-Men are stupid cheap too.

18 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

It amazes me how cheap IH182 is considering the value of the 181.  A good second appearance should be....what...20 or 30% the value of a 1st full appearance?  Yet clearly it isn't.  Its about 5% if you shop around.  And his early appearances in X-Men are stupid cheap too.

IH 181 is his second appearance. :baiting:

8 minutes ago, kav said:

Are you sure?  I see ASM 135 seems to sell for around $70 whereas IH 182 goes for like $40

I meant graded, and to my knowledge the ASM 135 mark jeweler's go for $70...raw... but graded IH 182 goes about $200 in 9.0 and ASM 135 goes for $200+ but isn't talked about nearly as much idk...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM