• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurricane Irma - Florida declares state of emergency
5 5

171 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, justafan said:

Ive beem tracking it since the beginning. All but 1 model had it going east or central.  Looks like cgc and some folks on the west coast of florida were doing a wait and see. I was wondering when cgc would make an announcement. Looks like they finally did.  

"CCG is housed in a secure, state-of-the-art facility that is built to withstand hurricane conditions. Collectibles will be secured in CCG's vaults, as always, and procedures are in place to ensure the safety and security of all collectibles in our care."

I just pray that cgc folks and people on the western coast are able to get out of the path now that they know it's heading that way. 

I'm trying to imagine what a "state-of-the-art facility that is built to withstand hurricane conditions" looks like and what counter measures it employs. 

I'm picturing a 3-level all brick building with a sealed elevated vault suspended within a vault with triple redundant power generation with 96-hours of battery power backup for climate and humidity control and security. And a triple redundant 1000Gpm water pumping system.

I'm picturing an outer wall of concrete blocks with gang graffiti, an intermediate wall of marijuana bales, and inside that, an old VW bus with colorful Grateful Dead art.  banana082.gif

9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I'm picturing an outer wall of concrete blocks with gang graffiti, an intermediate wall of marijuana bales, and inside that, an old VW bus with colorful Grateful Dead art.  banana082.gif

BAD BAD BAD :makepoint:

27 minutes ago, comicjack said:
37 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

BAD BAD BAD :makepoint:

I could do badderer....., :cool:

16 minutes ago, comicjack said:
39 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I could do badderer....., :cool:

I think not (:

I decline your challenge. 

But not because I couldn't.

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

IMG_0539.JPG.778abb5fb5666b217aaaa6e1069cafe9.JPG

I was thinking of their employees and actual building structure. I always assumed with the amount of books that go through CGC they had some general safety precautions in the event of fires, flooding, etc... in place although nothing is ever foolproof with weather.

I wasn't expecting piles of GA comics ready for grading left out in the middle of a room on a table somewhere with the windows open. lol 

If you do a google maps search on their address you can see the bldg. Appears to be a one story office space in a strip mall type row of office spaces. Was hoping they had several stories but that doesn't appear to be the case. Concerned because I just sent in some high dollar books which have been in my collection for many years. Most valuable books in my collection. I really hope they have an actual "vault" and that it's extremely water and moisture proof 

Edited by Oat Willy1

Just got worse for everyone on the west of coast of Fl. 

Looks like the eye comes in just below Sarasota goes through Tampa and back into the Gulf then almost a direct hit where I live which is 28 miles west of Gainesville,Fl

Levy County

Good luck to all who are in Fl. see you after the storm :tink:

Main thing is stay safe, also CGC being in Sarasota Florida, I'm sure the CGC site itself will withstand the storm. I hope that the workers and everyone else home's are safe as well.

I'm sure they'll get back to business when they can 

54 minutes ago, Oat Willy1 said:

If you do a google maps search on their address you can see the bldg. Appears to be a one story office space in a strip mall type row of office spaces. Was hoping they had several stories but that doesn't appear to be the case. Concerned because I just sent in some high dollar books which have been in my collection for many years. Most valuable books in my collection. I really hope they have an actual "vault" and that it's extremely water and moisture proof 

It's not in a strip mall.  I was one of the first boardies to stop in the new location about 10 or 11 years ago.   The sign wasn't even up yet.  Dropped off some books and had lunch with Steve and Paul.

cgcbuildingmaingate.jpg

cgcbuilding2.jpg

cgcbuilding1.jpg

stevepaulandI1.jpg

Edited by comicdonna

Unfortunately, it's shaping up to be a bad one in the Keys.  My wife and I had a glorious vacation there a few winters ago, and so feel especially concerned for all the free-spirited souls living there off the beaten path.  Not only is there risk of the land being completely submerged, but there's concern about the integrity of the causeway, the only land-based way to reach the mainland.

Edited by namisgr

I was at the facility years ago and also had lunch with Steve and Paul. I would not worry about that building.

If it was the old building, which was just corrugated aluminum I would be extremely worried. 

Edited by toro