• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movie Spec ending?
3 3

47 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

Is the movie TV speculation age finally losing steam.  I Stopped paying attention to the latest hot book about a year ago. Feel sorry (not really) for all the people who dropped top dollar for books like FF 45

Or, are we just running out of 1st appearances?

speaking of which, did that movie with the Inhumans ever materialize?  Sorry - I don't keep current with many of the movies.

Don't think so but there does seem to be lull in "hot" books popping up lately.  But there also seems to be no new trailers coming out or new movies being discussed either.  Didn't we just see some Awesome Hulk 22 explode in price last week but maybe that was not due to movie speculation.

12 minutes ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

Is the movie TV speculation age finally losing steam.  I Stopped paying attention to the latest hot book about a year ago. Feel sorry (not really) for all the people who dropped top dollar for books like FF 45

Or, are we just running out of 1st appearances?

Not sure if the speculation train is losing steam or not, but FF 45 taking a nosedive is due to 1) the move getting cancelled/shelved and 2) the TV show (apparently) being awful. I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from that example. 

4 minutes ago, october said:

Not sure if the speculation train is losing steam or not, but FF 45 taking a nosedive is due to 1) the move getting cancelled/shelved and 2) the TV show (apparently) being awful. I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from that example. 

At one point they were also being promoted as Marvel Studios' possible replacement / alternative to the X-Men.

20 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

speaking of which, did that movie with the Inhumans ever materialize? 

Yup. There was a TV show made. It's horrifically bad.

9 minutes ago, october said:

the TV show (apparently) being awful.

It's a disappointment. The Inumans were one of my favorite Marvel franchises and they bombed it.

Our local theater had a showing of Episodes 1 and 2 as a full length movie and I won't be watching the rest.

I should qualify that it's equal to most of the other TV shows on TV (Gotham season one lost me quickly) in that most are really bad, and very few reach a level of quality like shows I've come to really enjoy (Saul and Breaking Bad to name two).

Edited by VintageComics

8 minutes ago, romanheart said:

I always ever bought the books I wanted so it never bothered me...

Much the same for me.  I have pretty much everything I really care about, and so I can go into hibernation during this period of over-the-top frenzy.

6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
26 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

speaking of which, did that movie with the Inhumans ever materialize? 

Yup. There was a TV show made. It's horrifically bad.

15 minutes ago, october said:

the TV show (apparently) being awful.

It's a disappointment. The Inumans were one of my favorite Marvel franchises and they bombed it.

Our local theater had a showing of Episodes 1 and 2 as a full length movie and I won't be watching the rest.

I should qualify that it's equal to most of the other TV shows on TV (Gotham season one lost me quickly) in that most are really bad, and very few reach a level of quality like shows I've come to really enjoy (Saul and Breaking Bad to name two).

Edited 4 minutes ago by VintageComics

Did you like Jessica Jones, Roy?  I thought it started well, then began going into ridiculous, contrived situations..., much like the Walking Dead.  But overall, it was worth the watch.

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:
17 minutes ago, romanheart said:

I always ever bought the books I wanted so it never bothered me...

Much the same for me.  I have pretty much everything I really care about, and so I can go into hibernation during this period of over-the-top frenzy.

That's what I'm doing.  I wanted to upgrade my FF 45 for decades, now I'm not sure it will ever happen, as the book is about 5-10 times over priced.  Same with TOS 50, although I've noticed that one weakening lately.  I'll just wait for the crash to pick up nicer copies.

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Did you like Jessica Jones, Roy?  I thought it started well, then began going into ridiculous, contrived situations..., much like the Walking Dead.  But overall, it was worth the watch.

I felt the same way about JJ (and TWD).

It started great and then lost it's charm. I haven't watched Luke Cage because ohow JJ went.

The only Marvel TV series I've enjoyed AND thought was very well done was Daredevil. I thought they nailed DD.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

The only Marvel TV series I've enjoyed AND thought was very well done was Daredevil. I thought they nailed DD.

Yup.  And The Punisher.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:
6 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I felt the same way about JJ (and TWD).

It started great and then lost it's charm. I haven't watched Luke Cage because ohow JJ went.

I guess I need to give DD another try.  We've started it a few times, and only got one or two episodes in.

DD was always my favorite superhero, so I should give it another try.  It was my first old, substantial Marvel series that I really went after and got all the issues.

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

I guess I need to give DD another try.  We've started it a few times, and only got one or two episodes in.

DD was always my favorite superhero, so I should give it another try.  It was my first old, substantial Marvel series that I really went after and got all the issues.

...yes.

1 hour ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

I think DD is tremendous. JJ next best. Cage is fine. Iron Fist has one or two things I like. Rosario is awesome in every one.

I haven't seen Jessica Jones, but that I talk to says its great.  I agree, Rosario is awesome and fiiiiiiine! :wink:

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

At one point they were also being promoted as Marvel Studios' possible replacement / alternative to the X-Men.

Precisely. I think the price exploded around the announcement of the theatrical film, and the increased prominence of the characters in the books. Since then, the theatrical film turned into a TV show (which is apparently terrible) and Marvel seems to be backing off the INhumans comics a bit, because, like, no one cares.

I feel like Inhumans were supposed to be the next big thing, and that's when the prices went nuts. Since then, it's like everyone remembered, "Oh, The Inhumans...no one actually cares about the Inhumans", and the bubble burst.

(PS: For the record, I like the Inhumans quite a bit, at least the Kirby stuff, but I haven't kept up with modern Marvel books for several years.)

I think the movie/tv bumps still exist, you just have to get the timing right if you're trying to flip. 

I think that danger always exists if you are speculating on books that have movie/TV show buzz. Anyone remember the prices The Sixth Gun books were going for just based on the rumor of a TV show? Then when the Pilot was picked up they plummeted, 90% drop in value almost overnight. Before the Walking Dead became a phenomenon movie/tv show rumors hardly did anything to the price of a comic featuring the first appearance of a character. Xmen, back in 1999, did absolutely nothing as far as driving people to pay more for copies of XMen 1, Hulk 181, Giant Size Xmen 1, Iron Fist 14, Avengers Annual 10, Ms Marvel 18 despite featuring characters who would go on to be 3 successful feature films.