• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single best profit or loss on a comic deal?
3 3

104 posts in this topic

Just now, Bomber-Bob said:

And I'm sure everyone here reported these phenomenal gains to the tax man. Bragging on a public internet site about unreported capital gains is very wise.

I was about to say the same thing.. those who are selling a 1000 book for 1200 OBVIOUSLY do not report those figures to uncle sam

3 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

Oh I was referring to my post count in which I got YOU beat. :banana:

That's funny. Yes, you win on post counts ! But seriously, do you really want to leave your post of making 19K on a single transaction ? Someone may tell your wife :baiting: 

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That's funny. Yes, you win on post counts ! But seriously, do you really want to leave your post of making 19K on a single transaction ? Someone may tell your wife :baiting: 

I have nothing to hide and no one to hide from. 

4 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

percentage or $ amount?

The key is percentage in my opinion

Agreed.

Probably my best PERCENTAGE "flip" was on two coverless Golden Age books I picked up at an antique store a couple of years ago for $1 each. Auction them on eBay, sold for $100 each. I'm not good with math, but I think that's a percentage of, what, 1,000,000 or so? Seems right.

People with the best flips are generally not going to post an internet message board (even when you do pay taxes on gains) for a number of practical reasons.  On top of that, there's a part of it that seems a bit uncouth to brag about it so publicly.  It's fun to share wins with friends when you know they are also winning similarly.  

6 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

People with the best flips are generally not going to post an internet message board (even when you do pay taxes on gains) for a number of practical reasons.  On top of that, there's a part of it that seems a bit uncouth to brag about it so publicly.  It's fun to share wins with friends when you know they are also winning similarly.  

Youre right.

Theres a place for people that do that for just about everything else in life

its called facebook

Brian is right. The big boys aren't going to get on here and brag. You're going to get stories like I bought a book for 50 cents and doubled my money, the real exciting stuff. What's the point of this thread. Why limit yourself to comics. Did you make any money in the stock market today ? Let's start talking about our Net Worth.  What was your grade point average in school ? Who's got the highest vertical leap ? 

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

This board is here because of a grading company. Are a majority of people getting books graded just for their PC?

Now this is an interesting question that got lost in the chatter. Years ago, I submitted to realize FMV on the many raw books I wanted to sell but now it's mostly for personal collection. From an estate planning standpoint, I think it's better to have your good stuff graded.

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Now this is an interesting question that got lost in the chatter. Years ago, I submitted to realize FMV on the many raw books I wanted to sell but now it's mostly for personal collection. From an estate planning standpoint, I think it's better to have your good stuff graded.

Right, because you're concerned about the value and have a way to validate that. Someday they will be sold or if they are damaged they can validate the value.

$$$

The comment I responded to basically made it sound like if you sold something you weren't a "collector".

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Right, because you're concerned about the value and have a way to validate that. Someday they will be sold or if they are damaged they can validate the value.

$$$

The comment I responded to basically made it sound like if you sold something you weren't a "collector".

Nope.  The comment you responded to, mine, was just pointing out that this is yet another measuring thread among wannabe dealers.  I may flip books, but I don't feel the need to whip it out to be judged by people.  Same stupid result as threads where people are asked about the most they've ever spent on a book or what they do/make to be able to afford comics.  It's all the same end game, trying to impress people.