• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd McFarlane signature suggestions
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Spider-Man # 1 Platinum.

a) The book is one of his best covers period, and the release of Spider-Man # 1 ushered in a new era of comic collecting.

b) Even if it were in VG, the fact that's it the Platinum edition = still more beautiful than the rarer Gold UPC and was an unobtainable showcase book when I was 12.

Runner up (in 9.8 only):

Hulk 343.

a) This was my first ever Hulk comic off the shelves.

b) There are currently zero 9.8 McFarlane-signed copies of # 343 on the census.

12 hours ago, Tony S said:

If money is no object, most would argue ASM 300 is the best book to have McFarlane sign.  It is without a doubt his most widely recognized and iconic cover image. Todd has (re) used it many a time with his other characters. 

If cheap is necessary, I'd consider in the following order...

Coyote 11 - his first work in comics. Dirt cheap

Rust 1 - Spawn ad inside back cover. This is the first published image of spawn.  The limited edition foil cover has a print run of 10,000 and can be had for $50. The regular edition is cheaper still
Malibu Sun 13 - cover dated May 1992 just like Spawn 1. But it actually arrived in comic shops a couple of weeks before Spawn 1 did.  Spawn on the cover.  It is an advertisement,  so calling it the "1st appearance" is sketchy. But Spawn is on the cover. This one gets sorta pricey, it's hard to find a copy under $150-$200

As others have mentioned, you cannot get CGC graded as a Verified Signature (Yellow label) books signed by Todd at comic books shows/conventions.  CGC Yellow label is only available when signed at his 2x a year private signings with NY Comics. Next one is coming up sometime in December.  However, it is my understanding that at most shows (where you cannot get CGC) Todd signs for little or no cost. 

Just a correction here: Rust 1 is not the 1st published image of Spawn. With a publication date of April 1992, it was released 1 month after Previews Vol2 Issue 3 (March 1992)

For sigs, I like the covers where there's room for clean sigs, without intruding on detailed art.

So I like ASM 301, Batman 423 (sig on cape is ok), maybe even Hulk 340 (in the blue above Wolvie's head)

I really like this one though, and I think the sig is kinda rare, maybe sign in the lower right corner

5396122660_3cbb67f247_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Spider-Man # 1 Platinum.

a) The book is one of his best covers period, and the release of Spider-Man # 1 ushered in a new era of comic collecting.

b) Even if it were in VG, the fact that's it the Platinum edition = still more beautiful than the rarer Gold UPC and was an unobtainable showcase book when I was 12.

Runner up (in 9.8 only):

Hulk 343.

a) This was my first ever Hulk comic off the shelves.

b) There are currently zero 9.8 McFarlane-signed copies of # 343 on the census.

I think the green cover lends itself to the sig the best.  But I did think to break out the platinum book.

4 hours ago, revat said:

For sigs, I like the covers where there's room for clean sigs, without intruding on detailed art.

So I like ASM 301, Batman 423 (sig on cape is ok), maybe even Hulk 340 (in the blue above Wolvie's head)

I really like this one though, and I think the sig is kinda rare, maybe sign in the lower right corner

5396122660_3cbb67f247_b.jpg

Nice! I've never seen this one. Need to get one. None on eBay..

16 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

423 is the best of the Bats cover, by a long shot.

I'd probably go with Bats 423 or ASM 300 or 316.   Hulk 340 is another solid bet. 

Spidey 1 is a great choice, but I've already got his sig on that book.  

Weird. Cool cover, but I never thought of it as  an "elite" McFarlane example.  I guess one of the things I love about McFarlane's style during that era was his detail, which is generally absent on that one because of the design (cover is mostly cape).

Thanks for all the suggestions. Got a couple signed non-graded though this weekend. Had the signature placed on the second page (splash) under the credits information in ball point pen. 

Figure these are for me so grading not totally needed. If I want it graded later either green or submit via a group and get it on the cover.

Some art I just don’t want to take away from with a signature. 

20 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Got a couple signed non-graded though this weekend. Had the signature placed on the second page (splash) under the credits information in ball point pen. 

Figure these are for me so grading not totally needed. If I want it graded later either green or submit via a group and get it on the cover.

Some art I just don’t want to take away from with a signature. 

Nice. I want to get my Amazing Spider-Man McFarlane run signed like this.