• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frequently Miscut Books

11 posts in this topic

I've often wondered why certain comics almost always seem to be miscut.

Two that spring to mind (though I'm sure there are others):

X-Men 132 -- I've been looking for a 9.6 or 9.8 that's cut properly for several years. They all seem to be cut funny.

Same for Daredevil 158.

I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining this, why would it affect certain books so much more than others?

Just how they came off the presses for that issue, maybe had a lazy press operator that day who didn't feel like fixing it and it wasn't that bad so they didn't care. There's a few 40s comics that I never have seen a properly cut one, Roly Poly #10 is one of those, it seems every copy is very miscut.

9 minutes ago, catman76 said:

Just how they came off the presses for that issue, maybe had a lazy press operator that day who didn't feel like fixing it and it wasn't that bad so they didn't care. There's a few 40s comics that I never have seen a properly cut one, Roly Poly #10 is one of those, it seems every copy is very miscut.

Yup, that would be my guess too.

Marvel Team-Up #33 is another example. I've never seen a copy of this book that wasn't miscut. And they're all pretty ridiculous.

37273350955_5ece782881_b.jpg

29425590014_6cdf370f7a_b.jpg

Based on him saying daredevil 158, I'm guessing he meant miswrap.  I've noticed the same problems with most bronze age stuff being the worst offenders.  The entire marvel premiere series I am constantly having issues with.

Doctor Strange #1 is another that gives me fits. Its one of the few books I finally gave in and bought with a miswrap.  Just did a quick look on ebay and roughly 80% had white on the left edge.

Edited by 90sChild

When looking for a nice copy of X-Men 101 on ebay, I noticed on many that the "Marvel Comics Group" bar is not parallel to the top edge of the cover.  The Daredevil 158 I have has the same problem as well.  Interestingly enough, these things never bothered me as a young collector before the days of the internet.  I was just happy to pick up a copy however I could.  It is only with the wide range of options that I have to choose from now that stuff like that becomes a concern.