• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Stolen Comics Story That Ends WELL? Nice To See!!
2 2

36 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Mackenzie999 said:

It always blows my mind when you see some drunk driver on the news that has 7 previous DUI s...at what point to they just say "you're done, no more driving for you. Ever."

That reminds me of a part of Corey Taylor's book "You're Making Me Hate You" where he reveals his idea that anyone convicted of more than one (I think that was it) DUI should have their legs cut off. Interesting thought. Seems hardcore but could be the only prevention for a future offense.

Edited by punksdropdirtysrh

1 hour ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

That reminds me of a part of Corey Taylor's book "You're Making Me Hate You" where he reveals his idea that anyone convicted of more than one (I think that was it) DUI should have their legs cut off. Interesting thought. Seems hardcore but could be the only prevention for a future offense.

My solution would be that convicted drunks must attach a neon orange bra to any car they are driving, and being caught bra-less means significant jail time. This serves as a deterrent (shaming) as well as a warning for police, potential passengers, and others on the road that there is a significant chance that the driver is impaired. I know this reeks of Scarlet Letter, but the difference is that Hester Prynne's "crime" was victimless, whereas repeat drunk drivers are an actual danger to society.

Mackenzie999 in 2020!

PS for those who don't know, a car bra is one of those tacky faux-leather coverings they used to put on sports cars that covered the front grill/bumper area

Edited by Mackenzie999

14 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

That's great, and thanks for posting!   @blazingbob posted about this one when it occurred but it got buried some pages back.  Guy seems to have a bit of history with the law, surprised he was released pending considering he's already on parole per the link you provided.

Maybe him and Lex Ledger will share a cell.

This is great to hear!

The only thing that really remains unanswered is why did FedEx leave these books on the stoop without getting a signature? Since this incident, I have stopped using FedEx.

14 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Part of what tripped him up:

“If you own something this rare, you're not going to try to sell it to any comic book store.”

That statement jumped out for me as well. I'm sure comic book stores and their markets vary, but in my experience the statement is funny, but  inaccurate. I spend one day a week in a comic book store, nice stuff walks in regularly, really nice stuff occasionally. And X-Men 1 in 1.8 is not rare. 

The thief thankfully knew nothing about comics. If he did they would have been out of the slabs and into a small box of beat up Archies when taken to local comic shops. 

1 minute ago, Tony S said:
14 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Part of what tripped him up:

“If you own something this rare, you're not going to try to sell it to any comic book store.”

That statement jumped out for me as well. I'm sure comic book stores and their markets vary, but in my experience the statement is funny, but  inaccurate. I spend one day a week in a comic book store, nice stuff walks in regularly, really nice stuff occasionally. And X-Men 1 in 1.8 is not rare. 

The thief thankfully knew nothing about comics. If he did they would have been out of the slabs and into a small box of beat up Archies when taken to local comic shops. 

I thought that even the cops might have the anti-dealer sentiment....,

"Only criminals would be stoopid enough to try to sell their books to feelthy, steenking dealers." :sumo:

p.s. And, have you seen what beat up Archies sell for on here?

I went looking for a guy I saw profiled on Sixty Minutes years ago that had around 300 DWIs, but found this instead.

Man Arrested For DUI 400 Times Sentenced To 17 Years
NBC5 ^ | December 2, 2003

Posted on ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2003‎ ‎8‎:‎26‎:‎29‎ ‎PM by Between the Lines

ANDERSON, Ind. -- A 74-year-old Anderson man who's been arrested at least 400 times for drunken driving was sentenced Monday to 17 years in prison for his latest drunken driving conviction. Virldeen Redmon was arrested in July for driving even though his license had been suspended for life. His latest conviction was on charges of driving while intoxicated, endangering a person and driving while suspended.

Police have been arresting Redmon since 1947, including three times since June. He's had his driver's license suspended for life five times. In 1996, a judge sentenced Redmon to 9-1/2 years in prison. That sentence was reduced in 2001 and he was released after a doctor testified that Redmon suffers from health problems.

1 hour ago, Tony S said:

well let's not help out the internet search engine in giving people clues how to go about off loading stolen comics. Yeah-- seems like no-brainer type stuff to us but to some comics novice, that simple instruction could help them get away with selling the stuff.

ps- not trying to jump all over you for the post-- just think we should be less giving with that type of information.