• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Smoke Monster is One of Us
3 3

11 posts in this topic

Well that explains it. If these are the types of folks average collectors are up against in every new comic auction, we're screwed. 

Nicolas cage might have just been the tip of the iceberg. Oh the irony. We pay for the streaming service to watch the cool new series that pays the cool actors that happen to be collectors that compete against us for items for our collections. Ergo, we bid against ourselves.

The answer: stop paying for whatever streaming service that employs them. 

Still pretty cool tho.

1 hour ago, justafan said:

Well that explains it. If these are the types of folks average collectors are up against in every new comic auction, we're screwed. 

Nicolas cage might have just been the tip of the iceberg. Oh the irony. We pay for the streaming service to watch the cool new series that pays the cool actors that happen to be collectors that compete against us for items for our collections. Ergo, we bid against ourselves.

Still pretty cool tho.

Your tax dollars fund the comic purchases on any cop, fireman, teacher, sanitation worker or any other government employee.  Really no different... 

Consider this.  I live in NY.  I just shipped two packages out.  One went to someone in NJ and the other went to someone in Arkansas.

Source:https://www.gobankingrates.com/making-money/average-americans-salary-state/

• NJ Average Salary is $72,062
  • Florida Average Salary is $41,264
  • Let's simplify things... forgetting tax, let's say that even with the cost of living each person living in each state can only afford to devote 10% of their earnings to comic purchases.
  • NJ has about $7,200 to play with 
  • AR has about $4,100 to play with

When comic link, eBay, Comic Connect, heritage and any other seller online is offering something, they are offering it on a national level.  However the buyers can only afford to buy based on their personal income.  Unless you are well above average in Arkansas, you will not be able to compete with the average person from NJ.

I wouldn't worry about Mr Welliver, I would be aware that at every auction there are regions of people with more of a disposable income than others that can spend more without it seriously impacting their bottom line. 

Hey! How am I suppose to bid against you if you quit watching pay tv and paying my salary? 

I wouldn’t blame you tho. Judas Priest is the show I work on stupid. 

Edited by NoMan

On 9/23/2017 at 12:55 PM, justafan said:

Still pretty cool tho.

Yeah, how dare they be successful and share an interest with us.

Titus is a true fan. He mainly collects statues but he is very knowledgeable on all aspects of our world. I showed him pictures one day of my comic room and he was like oh man, you got....... that must be worth..... He even noticed small details like my original Star Wars figures missing their light sabers, lol. 

I was thinking at the time, he is nerding out over my stuff when he could buy it all without trying or making a dent in his income.

He is a very humble and appreciative person by nature.

Wealthy celebrities have been bidding in auctions forever. We're just starting to find out about them now.

There is an endless list of collectors out there and celebrities are humans and like all the same things we do.

I'd be more worried about speculative investors who have no attachment to collectibles than celebrities who do.