• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a fair sum of money set aside to by comics, help me spend it.
2 2

56 posts in this topic

On the X-Men front I would choose the following: X-Men 1, GSXM1, Hulk 181, X-Men 94, X-Men 4, X-Men 101, X-Men 12, X-Men 14

On the Batman front I would choose the following (assuming Golden Age books are allowed): Detective 168, Batman 47, Batman 4, Batman 16 (somewhat obtainable Golden Keys) and then Batman 121, 181, 232, 227, 251

My son and I just recently did this exact same thing as we saved up and sold off some stuff to go to a big comic con for two days this year and had a blast.  

The two books we ended up buying were Tales of Suspense 39 and Flash 105.   

Can't recommend enough taking the cash to a show and spending it in person vs buying online as you get the thrill of discovery walking around as well as the fun of dealing with people face to face.   

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

On the X-Men front I would choose the following: X-Men 1, GSXM1, Hulk 181, X-Men 94, X-Men 4, X-Men 101, X-Men 12, X-Men 14

On the Batman front I would choose the following (assuming Golden Age books are allowed): Detective 168, Batman 47, Batman 4, Batman 16 (somewhat obtainable Golden Keys) and then Batman 121, 181, 232, 227, 251

Great suggestions.  Thank you.  I actually have 2 copies of Hulk 181, and was actually considering selling or trading my lower grade copy.

It had also been mentioned that GA Batman books are starting to take off.  I purchased Batman 69 (CGC 5.5), Batman 84 (CGC5), and Detective 203 (GCG 5) in the mid to high $200 for all three issues around 18 months ago, and now see sales approaching $500 or more in that grade range.

These books are all likely to stay in my perminant collection.  These are not flips.

1 hour ago, Beardown said:

My son and I just recently did this exact same thing as we saved up and sold off some stuff to go to a big comic con for two days this year and had a blast.  

The two books we ended up buying were Tales of Suspense 39 and Flash 105.   

Can't recommend enough taking the cash to a show and spending it in person vs buying online as you get the thrill of discovery walking around as well as the fun of dealing with people face to face.   

This is exactly what I am doing.  Going to a big Con actual cash in hand. So I do need flexability in items I may purchase.  Some issue may be abscent, or I might not like what is availble.  That is why I am trying to develope an attack plan with alternatives.

I'd do the X-Men 1 as well.  Beyond that, GA Joker covers seem like a sound investment, even though I'm not a fan.

Batman 121 scares me.  Is Mr Freeze anyone's favorite villain?  Hard book to find, for sure, but I think the steep run up was more about it being the "it" book to have when prices started to creep up, than lasting interest.

37 minutes ago, drotto said:

I actually have 2 copies of Hulk 181, and was actually considering selling or trading my lower grade copy.

I would keep it,unless you are upgrading to something more of a desirable quality. First Wolverine a decade from now will be looked at like AF#15 was a decade ago pricewise.

3 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I'd do the X-Men 1 as well.  Beyond that, GA Joker covers seem like a sound investment, even though I'm not a fan.

Batman 121 scares me.  Is Mr Freeze anyone's favorite villain?  Hard book to find, for sure, but I think the steep run up was more about it being the "it" book to have when prices started to creep up, than lasting interest.

Exactly. First X-MEN with first Magneto will always be more desirable than the first Mr. Freeze appearance.

45 minutes ago, drotto said:

It had also been mentioned that GA Batman books are starting to take off.  I purchased Batman 69 (CGC 5.5), Batman 84 (CGC5), and Detective 203 (GCG 5) in the mid to high $200 for all three issues around 18 months ago, and now see sales approaching $500 or more in that grade range.

There really is no downsize to collecting GA Batman,as well as Timely Captain Americas. That's as blue chip as one can get in GA collecting long-term.

I think the value increase in bats 121 and 181 are due to them being true first appearances of major bat villains (as opposed to first silver age appearances - with the true First appearances out of range for most). Although part of Bats 121 appeal is certainly scarcity (and an awesome cover IMO)

I also thinks Batman 232 should be worth more - but the market disagrees with me. 

But again being a huge XMen fan myself nothing beats XMen 1 :) 

X-Men 1 is the top of my list and also the censensus.  Will have to see what is availble.  I have a grade and price range in my head.  See how much I have for other fun stuff once that is off the list.  But like I said, at cons you need to be flexable due to availibilty, and dealer pricing. I have owned X-Men 95 and 101 in the past, but they were lower grade copies which I sold 4 or 5 years ago (in retrospect I regret selling them). With that said I think it is likely X-Men 101 is a little overheated right now due to movie speculation.

I have also always love the Neal Adams Batman 227 and 251.  Just great classic covers.  Along with a recent facination with Batman 181.

My target list right now (assuming finding a X-Men in the 3.5 to 5 range).

1. X-Men 1

2. GSX 1

3. Batman 227, 251, 181

15 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I would keep it,unless you are upgrading to something more of a desirable quality. First Wolverine a decade from now will be looked at like AF#15 was a decade ago pricewise.

You really think that Hulk 181 has that much room to grow in the next 10 years? My copies are a 5 and a 7.5, I have a good handle on what they are worth right now.

33 minutes ago, drotto said:

X-Men 1 is the top of my list and also the censensus.  Will have to see what is availble.  I have a grade and price range in my head.  See how much I have for other fun stuff once that is off the list.  But like I said, at cons you need to be flexable due to availibilty, and dealer pricing. I have owned X-Men 95 and 101 in the past, but they were lower grade copies which I sold 4 or 5 years ago (in retrospect I regret selling them). With that said I think it is likely X-Men 101 is a little overheated right now due to movie speculation.

I have also always love the Neal Adams Batman 227 and 251.  Just great classic covers.  Along with a recent facination with Batman 181.

My target list right now (assuming finding a X-Men in the 3.5 to 5 range).

1. X-Men 1

2. GSX 1

3. Batman 227, 251, 181

You really think that Hulk 181 has that much room to grow in the next 10 years? My copies are a 5 and a 7.5, I have a good handle on what they are worth right now.

Yes. What ever the prices your  5 and a 7.5 are now would be doubled in 10 years. Maybe quicker? Wolverine is top character of bronze age like Spidey is the top character of silver age.

20 hours ago, drotto said:
20 hours ago, Senormac said:

So you're looking to hire a consultant or something ? :popcorn:

Do you work for food and beer?

Mike works for racy bed-time stories:

image.png.2e1e8497fece3b37fe575061836adc04.png

20 hours ago, drotto said:

I have been selling off some books I do not care as much about over the last few months, and have a minimum of $5000 to spend which is likely to hit 6k to 7k in the next few weeks (I am still selling a few things).  My interests are mainly X-Men and Batman.  I am looking to pick up key books and 1st apperances mainly within those two families, but am open to other suggestions.  These are book I intend to keep. These are not flips. I have a few books in mind that I have always wanted like X-Men 1 (looking for a mid grade copy), and Giant Sized X-Men 1 (higher grade).  So I throw the thread open to suggestions. Sorry no prizes.  :smile:

What I think of when "investing" in comics:

DilbertInvestingStrip.gif

2 hours ago, drotto said:

This is exactly what I am doing.  Going to a big Con actual cash in hand. So I do need flexability in items I may purchase.  Some issue may be abscent, or I might not like what is availble.  That is why I am trying to develope an attack plan with alternatives.

Kidding aside, I think the key to your strategy is right there. Go with a plan (sounds like you now have one) but if nothing that fits the plan is available at your number, don't force it. Go home empty-handed and wait for the next con. Exception: no plan targets available BUT a true bargain you know you can flip presents itself. Then "settle" for that; flip it ASAP, and grow the war chest before the next con, where you attempt the plan again.

as to my 2 cents on the plan itself, I like X-Men #1 too but I like GA Bats as much. X1 is pretty common as top tier Marvel keys go, so get the nicest on you can. It is priced low these days it seems. I also like a really nice X-Men 94 as its tough in high grade and cheap these days too. For silver bats, I like 181 and Tec 359 a lot. 

Edited by Readcomix
Typo that makes me think I have mad cow disease

12 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

I think the value increase in bats 121 and 181 are due to them being true first appearances of major bat villains (as opposed to first silver age appearances - with the true First appearances out of range for most). Although part of Bats 121 appeal is certainly scarcity (and an awesome cover IMO)

I also thinks Batman 232 should be worth more - but the market disagrees with me. 

But again being a huge XMen fan myself nothing beats XMen 1 :) 

I agree Bats 232 should be considerably higher. I mean c'mon Ras Al Ghul? Probably the biggest Batman villain aside from the Joker.

I don't know about that.   He's certainly Top Tier, but I wouldn't put him #2.  I'd probably go with the Riddler.  In the past 10-20 years, he's played a large role in some of the great Batman stories (Long Halloween, New52, etc...).  

That's, of course, if we don't count Catwoman as 100% villain.  If we include her, she's clearly #2.  

On 9/24/2017 at 10:56 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Yes. What ever the prices your  5 and a 7.5 are now would be doubled in 10 years. Maybe quicker? Wolverine is top character of bronze age like Spidey is the top character of silver age.

Aren't there many more copies of 181 vs AF15?

Doesn't scarcity come into play on these big prices?

15 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I agree Bats 232 should be considerably higher. I mean c'mon Ras Al Ghul? Probably the biggest Batman villain aside from the Joker.

Too bad Al Ghul didn't appear in the 1940's. I'm sure he'd be worth more

Edited by TheFifthHorseman