• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a fair sum of money set aside to by comics, help me spend it.
2 2

56 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

Aren't there many more copies of 181 vs AF15?

Doesn't scarcity come into play on these big prices?

Sure, but demand is ultimately what's most important.  

The buying pool for Hulk 181 is much larger than AF15.  Lots of collectors are getting priced out of the big SA keys.  They will move to the big BA keys and Hulk 181 is the top dog for BA books. 

It's already a pretty expensive book and continues to climb.   There's enough Wolverine fans out there to absorb it.   And, being a blue chipper, it may fall during a crash, but it's not going to fall as far as other books.   As long as comic collecting is around, Hulk 181 will be in demand. 

17 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I agree Bats 232 should be considerably higher. I mean c'mon Ras Al Ghul? Probably the biggest Batman villain aside from the Joker.

I agree with that, but I think 232 does pretty well as a steady big-money seller given the healthy supply of high grade copies that seem to be out there. Definitely a sound pickup, though.

As far as Bats 121, part of the price is because it's a SA 10-center, so it's going to be scarce in general. Otherwise, although Freeze probably straddles the A-List/B-List Rogues, he's certainly not "hot" (you know what I mean) now nor has he been for a while. Plus "Mr. Zero" meh

If I were wanting to sink all or most of that money into a single book, I'd probably get the nicest Action 252 or 'Tec 359 I could --or-- GA Bats with key villain appearances. You might even be able to get an entry-level unrestored Pre-Robin 'Tec. There have also been a few (like 2 or 3) 9.4 or better Batman 181's that have popped up lately and that's a book that's pretty tough over 8.0-8.5. Even after the Gotham City Sirens movie announcement I still don't think I've seen more than a handful up for sale while prices in the low-to-mid range have surged like crazy.

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Sure, but demand is ultimately what's most important.  

The buying pool for Hulk 181 is much larger than AF15.  Lots of collectors are getting priced out of the big SA keys.  They will move to the big BA keys and Hulk 181 is the top dog for BA books. 

100 percent agree. There will be a time when some people will be priced out of the silver age keys then turn to the bronze keys where Wolverine is the most iconic character of the bronze age. Nothing, but good upside on Incredible Hulk #181 in any condition. I would say eventually even low grade CGC issues will be north of $1000 in a decade. So buy those CGC 2.0 copies when you can . lol

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

100 percent agree. There will be a time when some people will be priced out of the silver age keys then turn to the bronze keys where Wolverine is the most iconic character of the bronze age. Nothing, but good upside on Incredible Hulk #181 in any condition. I would say eventually even low grade CGC issues will be north of $1000 in a decade. So buy those CGC 2.0 copies when you can . lol

I got a 2.5 and a 3.0 for that very reason, then I splurged on a 7.5 ha. I still think IH 180 &182, along with GSXM1 will all eventually see more of a bump than now because of those particulars.

3 hours ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

I guess, but I'd rather scrape together everything I could to go after that is something in demand and scarce.

What's gonna happen when 181 prices go sky high and everyone unloads?

I can't speak to everyone unloading at once, but several months ago over the course of 1 or 2 days a boardie unloaded over a dozen copies in higher grades here and another 10 or so on ebay - and the market barely even blinked, as far as I could tell.  Don't know if more than a few people even noticed.

Edited by grebal

Of course the 181 market wouldn't see a hit from 10 copies. There's 7500 on census.

I'll say the 100 9.8's will surely appreciate. Anything high grade probably.

Will there be a drop in price if a thousand people unload once prices go sky high?

Buy high grade IH181 in high grade NOW, and then FLIP it like a modern when prices get good.

It's a blue chip, yes. But scarce it is not. Will the next generation of non-collectors with deep pockets care about Wolverine in 10 years? How many comic book collectors will be around by that point?

These old guys with collections are gonna cash out eventually. Will anyone be there to buy them?

49 minutes ago, Comicdey said:

Think outside the Xmen Batman box.  So much more to ❤️ 

Think outside those boxes is fine, but what? My knowledge base is in those two titles. It is also hard when I have wanted a copy of X-Men 1 for a very long time.

The most out of the box ( at least by your assertion) book I own is a Wings Comics 101 CGC 8.5.  I have also toyed with getting some GA horror in the past, but I always drift back to superheroes.   I have also been considering Avengers 1 or 4, but I know that is still ikn my Marvel wheelhouse. 

On 9/25/2017 at 5:42 PM, TheFifthHorseman said:

Of course the 181 market wouldn't see a hit from 10 copies. There's 7500 on census.

I'll say the 100 9.8's will surely appreciate. Anything high grade probably.

Will there be a drop in price if a thousand people unload once prices go sky high?

Buy high grade IH181 in high grade NOW, and then FLIP it like a modern when prices get good.

It's a blue chip, yes. But scarce it is not. Will the next generation of non-collectors with deep pockets care about Wolverine in 10 years? How many comic book collectors will be around by that point?

These old guys with collections are gonna cash out eventually. Will anyone be there to buy them?

I'm not sure.  Check the hammer prices for the Berk auction a few months ago and you can probably answer that question.

3 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Matt Baker covers are on fire...........

I've heard Tarzan is trending downward but Conan is surging.  Maybe you could corner the market on Conan #1's  (: