• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #1 CGC 9.2 slight(p) on eBay...

141 posts in this topic

I'm not positive, but I could swear this copy looks familiar. I'm pretty sure this is the copy I sold last year. Back then it was a 9.0, and from what I understand the person who bought it from me sent it in to see if the restoration could be removed. It couldn't so instead a little bit of extra work was done to make it a 9.2. If I'm correct and this is indeed the book I sold it is an absolutely stunning copy, I've only ever seen one nicer. The winning bidder will be very happy with it. (But I wish I had kept it just one extra year and sold it now with the Batman movie coming out compared to what I sold it for a year ago!) Then again, I could be wrong because I've sold a couple.. But that S in the corner and the ink mark in the top look really really familiar..

Anyway congrats to the seller because it looks like they're going to meet their reserve price, and congrats to the buyer because its a really nice book!

Filter, this is really important to know, at least to me. Is there anyway for you to confirm your suspicion? Is the current seller in the same city as your buyer?

Well, it's $1 away from meeting the reserve...

Isn't it interesting that 2 people both bid just $1 less than the reserve 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If the reserve were not known, yes, 893scratchchin-thumb.gif indeed. However, since people know the reserve, they are likely just having fun pushing it up while knowing they won't get stuck with the book.

Filter, CGC's grading notes also indicate that the top of the book's pages are somewhat tan. Does that correspond to your copy?

Hey Mark, just curious, if you win the auction, are you going to pick the book up in person, or trust Fed Ex? I have no idea what I'd do. Maybe send an armored car!

Hey Mark, just curious, if you win the auction, are you going to pick the book up in person, or trust Fed Ex? I have no idea what I'd do. Maybe send an armored car!

I would have a colleague pick it up in person.

my father (who is in his 80s) remembers either Action 1 or Superman 1 on the newstand... but he didn't buy it, so I can't have any hatred about anyone throwing out his comics while he was in WW II. In fact, he though the whole idea was really stupid and couldn't imagine why anyone would buy comic books with super heros, etc.

$65K. [a lot] more than I take home in a year as a public servant. a down payment on a modest condo here in NYC. my mortgage payments for 4 1/2 years..... 1.75 years of college tuition at an ivy

$65K. [a lot] more than I take home in a year as a public servant. a down payment on a modest condo here in NYC. my mortgage payments for 4 1/2 years..... 1.75 years of college tuition at an ivy

Or....A tad less then the amount I lost on my stock shorts last month. I think I should have covered and bought the book.

confused-smiley-013.gif And in 2003 Paul Allen paid $200 million for a yacht. An incomprehensible number to most people, but only 1% of his net worth at the time.

news.gif People with money spend a lot of it.

confused-smiley-013.gif And in 2003 Paul Allen paid $200 million for a yacht. An incomprehensible number to most people, but only 1% of his net worth at the time.

And don't forget about that $500K pencil you broke back when we were discussing Hobgoblin/KHurst's economic valuation theory regarding recent back issues.

And don't forget about that $500K pencil you broke back when we were discussing Hobgoblin/KHurst's economic valuation theory regarding recent back issues.

Christo_pull_hair.gif I finally got over that particular traumatic episode in my life, and now you've dredged it up! I will have nightmares tossing and turning in my $20 million bed tonight!

Just to be clear, Paul Allen really did spend $200 million on his #1 yacht. Apparently he didn't like it that much since he went and purchased a second yacht a year later or so that was almost as big, while still keeping #1. I guess when your fortune gets into the tens of billions, money becomes a completely irrelevant concept, other than as a scoreboard.