• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you rather have one high grade key or many lower grade keys?
2 2

One high or many low  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather own one high grade key, or many lower grade keys?

• one high grade
    • multiple lower grade keys

44 posts in this topic

I like to complete a collection and then upgrade it as I go.  Just completed Dark knight returns in 9.8 and finishing up DD 1-10 and once I do I will work towards having them all at 7.0 or 8.0

Next up is Hulk 1-6

To do this I have started selling off some of the other lesser keys and general why did I buy this slabs.

I'll take the lesser multiples please. For me the joy is in simple ownership, as long as it's not trashed. High grade is certainly nice, but not essential to my collecting philosophy. That might be different had I unlimited resources, but my budget for comics does not support hg, and honestly once you hit the 9.0 area it all seems a bit insane to me. A couple of spine ticks accounting for five-figure differences in value? To me that's ridiculous. And I emphasize the to me part, I don't mean to diss anyone else's passion, I just don't share it.

1 hour ago, Mackenzie999 said:

That might be different had I unlimited resources, but my budget for comics does not support hg, and honestly once you hit the 9.0 area it all seems a bit insane to me. A couple of spine ticks accounting for five-figure differences in value? To me that's ridiculous. And I emphasize the to me part, I don't mean to diss anyone else's passion, I just don't share it.

I am with you. I would take 2 books at 6.5 - 7.0 instead of one in 9.2 in a heartbeat.

I try to focus on nice mid-grade examples without some flaws that I simply don't like and avoid (marvel chipping and writing being the two most prominent). A grade of 6.5-7.5 is my sweet spot, and I know that I will probably never be able to afford to upgrade some of my books to higher than that and I am totally fine with it. I love the lower grade books I have as well, but I have a hunch that as soon as my main collecting goals are somewhat fulfilled I will feel the itch to upgrade them to my sweet spot :smirk:.

It depends on the key but books like action#1, tec #27,supes #1,marvel #1,cap #1 and so on I’d prefer to have 3.0-6.0 copies laying around as opposed to one hg key unless it was maybe an 9.0 or better action #1 or a tec #27

Edited by topofthetotem

31 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:

It depends on the key but books like action#1, tec #27,supes #1,marvel #1,cap #1 and so on I’d prefer to have 3.0-6.0 copies laying around as opposed to one hg key unless it was maybe an 9.0 or better action #1 or a tec #27

Yeah I'd settle for a 9.0 Action 1 or Tec 27

11 hours ago, Mackenzie999 said:

Yeah I'd settle for a 9.0 Action 1 or Tec 27

That's only VF-NM.

I'd wait on another higher-graded copy with fewer spine ticks, no dust shadow, or whatever the unsightly defect(s) might be that brings it out of the ultra HG category.

:baiting:

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, s14roller said:

I'd also have more lower/mid keys.  

A good question would be, would one prefer a mega key or multiple keys...say, 1 AF15 vs Spidey 1-20, etc.  

Different question entirely.  I can't see anyone turning down an AF15 over most other keys or runs, dollar for dollar.

5 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Different question entirely.  I can't see anyone turning down an AF15 over most other keys or runs, dollar for dollar.

I meant the concept...

As in, an IH181, ASM300, GSXM1, and ASM129 vs. having a X-Men 1 for example.  

24 minutes ago, s14roller said:

I meant the concept...

As in, an IH181, ASM300, GSXM1, and ASM129 vs. having a X-Men 1 for example.  

I think the OP meant that you could buy one high grade key or use the same amount of money for lower grade keys but more of thrm... In that case what would you do?

You have the money for one high-grade key or do you by lower grade keys but many of them...

That's still a Tuffy though, I guess it depends on what you already have, but I go with the one high grade key while you have the money... You could always come back and buy the lower-grade keys later. If you saved up money buy the high-grade key now as it will take less time to build up for the lower grades

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

FWW inregards to the OPs question if we look at "just" a milion dollar key like action 1 (or even only the highest graded Hulk 1 in my case) that amount of money would literally buy 100 mid- to low keys or semis.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:22 PM, Fiddy said:

IMG_3809.thumb.JPG.b9eb727d8fc82522537e4d830a2a6ce2.JPG

I love it that I have a Tec 1-3 10-12-17-18-19-20 and 27 with Action 10-12-13-15-16-18 and lots more with Bat 1 2-4-5-6-7-8- plus more Marvel comic's 1  Sup 2 the D copy 4-5-6 and lots of low grade Marvel 1's. over a copy of Tec 27 6.0 unrestored only.  I would take the pic above over a 7.0 Fantasy 15

Back in the day, I traded a Dark Knight #1, along with some other keys of the day (late 80's), for my friend's IH 181.  At the time the value was equal.  Since then I've done well with that trade.

Edited by GM8