• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Calgary Comic Expo (Fan Expo Calgary?) April 26-29, 2018
5 5

562 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Were are the embarrassing pics of forumites napping at your booth? :shy:

For comparison, Fan Expo Vancouver has minimum 1 hr queue of vans and SUVs to get in/out of loading bay (30 mins to load in/out to one's booth) with the Fan Expo online time slot scheduler. That is a long line up of vehicles idling in the drizzle.

We crammed so much in our booth we could barely get in let alone have people nap in there.  We placed our chairs on the opposite side of our aisle and called it the lounge.  Those chairs were never empty for long.

We had to schedule a load in time.  We were slotted 1 pm to 2 pm on Wednesday.  There were no carts available so moving all our stuff inside in an hour wasn't reasonable so I parked my car and took 5 hours to do it right.  Thursday was a problem as there was only one line to come into the lot and I had to wait over an hour until the guys ahead of me waiting for a loading spot moved forward.  Makes zero sense to make guys who've already set up wait behind guys waiting for a loading spot.

Found a box of Comic Readers in the collection we picked up.  Figured they were worthless but checked ebay for sales.  Priced up a couple dozen and sold a couple right away.  We also picked out a couple better ones in nice shape to send to CGC.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorgeous-Full-Color-Vintage-MARVELMANIA-CLUB-CATALOG-1969-Kirby-Lee/183102812513?hash=item2aa1c73161:g:ekYAAOSwYNxab7QN

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

Found a box of Comic Readers in the collection we picked up.  Figured they were worthless but checked ebay for sales.  Priced up a couple dozen and sold a couple right away.  We also picked out a couple better ones in nice shape to send to CGC.

I have 2 boxes of vintage Comic Readers and mag sized zines like RBCC in storage. Glad you were able to make some loot $$ but what was the average price of a non-FOOM fanzine that actually sold in Calgary? I am sure there are low Cgc :) census #s for Comic Reader and RBCC with special cover art.

2 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

I have 2 boxes of vintage Comic Readers and mag sized zines like RBCC in storage. Glad you were able to make some loot $$ but what was the average price of a non-FOOM fanzine that actually sold in Calgary? I am sure there are low Cgc :) census #s for Comic Reader and RBCC with special cover art.

We probably averaged $20 per fanzine or convention program book.  Sold a stack to Ferd at that price and some to Dickk of Island Fantasy fame that'll likely end up on ebay.

There's only a few Comic Reader issues with recorded sales on GPA, the issue with the Stan Lee photo cover is most valuable.  

12 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I got word that 19 books were returned to this Vancouver seller because of color touch.  I actually kept 2 of the 6 I bought off him and would have kept at least 1 more if he'd given me a reasonable price -Spirit 21 - once I showed him the color touch.   I think once word got around that we'd found it everyone started looking at their books closely.  Too bad, he had some beautiful books.  

Where was the seller? Was it only GA that was restored?

I was pretty satisfied with my first time selling at Calgary. Brought about 40 GA slabs and sold half of them as well as half my raw wall books, many to members here. Was hoping to sell more of my filler books in the 5-30 range but still acceptable. Left a deposit for next year but would like a better spot for sure, my aisle seemed narrow and got overly congested. Had a few guys tell me they wish they found me sooner so not sure if I was hidden away too much  

Got some great Marvelmania books from humantorch and artboy99 and a few cool posters. 

02D8A440-2856-4D24-853D-D99F8F66EAE2.thumb.jpeg.ba614ca0881cad109756daeb5e4fe408.jpeg

D6D343CB-5F8C-4E12-B98B-8E7EE15A7A2D.jpeg

0558F2A6-9268-4327-9D57-70E72400B635.jpeg

CC12BFB3-912F-4354-B4D1-2604F6866B13.jpeg7 Signatures in the 1972 Comic Art Convention program book including Neal Adams, Steranko, Kirby,  Murphy Anderson, Garry Morrow, Mike Royer, and Larry Ivie.

The Marvelmania #4 is the blue copy, only 250 were made before switching the print run to grey.

Edited by thehumantorch

12 hours ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

I was pretty satisfied with my first time selling at Calgary. Brought about 40 GA slabs and sold half of them as well as half my raw wall books, many to members here. Was hoping to sell more of my filler books in the 5-30 range but still acceptable. Left a deposit for next year but would like a better spot for sure, my aisle seemed narrow and got overly congested. Had a few guys tell me they wish they found me sooner so not sure if I was hidden away too much  

Got some great Marvelmania books from humantorch and artboy99 and a few cool posters. 

I found you right away

11 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

I might sell it, can’t find any sales data

Didn't I buy the one with the original mailer.

If I did, I stole it.