• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIPPED OFF ON EBAY..HOW TO AVOID IT!
3 3

70 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

What about buyer fraud?  eBay will literally tell the seller to eat it.

This thread is only about protecting new buyers. Go through lists of key books for sale on ebay and you will be shocked how many zero feedback sellers are selling big dollar books like those that move fast. They sell a few fast,get the money, vanish, and do it again and again. But if you have any concerns about a case.Message me here and I'll do my best to offer my advice.

Thanks,

Pizzafist

14 minutes ago, Pizzafist said:

This thread is only about protecting new buyers. Go through lists of key books for sale on ebay and you will be shocked how many zero feedback sellers are selling big dollar books like those that move fast. They sell a few fast,get the money, vanish, and do it again and again. But if you have any concerns about a case.Message me here and I'll do my best to offer my advice.

Thanks,

Pizzafist

I buy tons from eBay. I must've bought 7-10 items from 0 feedback users. Never had a problem. 

If I was to opine on this based on my experience I would say that some of my best wins were with 0 - low feedback sellers just because everyone is worried about condition + fraud that they wouldn't bid high. 

19 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

never buy raw books on ebay unless you know the seller, in which case, why would you use ebay? buying raw there is like begging to get a raw deal. that's what cons and LBS are for. 

I have actually done well overall buying raw on eBay.  I did return one book where the book sent was not the book pictured.  Other than that I have purchsed a few minor keys, and they all graded at or above what the seller had them listed as. Granted the most I ever spent on a raw was $150, but that book turned out to be a 9.6 worth about $350 once graded.  Now I may have just been lucky so far, but do not put down all raw sellers.

Yes there are plenty of bad sellers on eBay, but for the most part, if you avoid big ticket well known keys, I think the likely hood of getting restored of flat out fraudulent books is low.  Yes, over graded, but stick to listings that have lots of pictures, and be prepared to return as needed.

On 10/20/2017 at 6:45 AM, Knightsofold said:

#4 Has nothing to do with determining a seller's trustworthiness.  Sellers get ripped off a lot as well, and we've even lost to ability to give negative feedback.  I never give the buyer feedback untill they give me positive.  They pay get your item and then can do so many things sellers are powerless to.  Chargeback, forced returns, never recieved item claims, "not as described" refusal of package, send back a different broken item, buyers remorse, etc.  All this after I gave positive feedback just cause they paid? No way.  Feedback for buyers is pretty much useless unless it's super low anyway.

I agree. I usually don’t post feedback until the buyer has. If they don’t then I don’t. 

Thankfully I’ve only had one issue with a buyer on eBay, they didn’t pay and I lost the sale as a result. Resisted and sold later for less... so I’m a bit bitter.

Both buyers and sellers are at risk, just depends on what side your on when it happens.

1 hour ago, drotto said:

I have actually done well overall buying raw on eBay.  I did return one book where the book sent was not the book pictured.  Other than that I have purchsed a few minor keys, and they all graded at or above what the seller had them listed as. Granted the most I ever spent on a raw was $150, but that book turned out to be a 9.6 worth about $350 once graded.  Now I may have just been lucky so far, but do not put down all raw sellers.

Yes there are plenty of bad sellers on eBay, but for the most part, if you avoid big ticket well known keys, I think the likely hood of getting restored of flat out fraudulent books is low.  Yes, over graded, but stick to listings that have lots of pictures, and be prepared to return as needed.

I agree with everything you wrote. Ebay is the best place to buy raw books in the world!

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

I buy tons from eBay. I must've bought 7-10 items from 0 feedback users. Never had a problem. 

If I was to opine on this based on my experience I would say that some of my best wins were with 0 - low feedback sellers just because everyone is worried about condition + fraud that they wouldn't bid high. 

Glad for your fortune.It's too bad many Ebay buyers  are not so lucky.

1 hour ago, rogue14 said:

I agree. I usually don’t post feedback until the buyer has. If they don’t then I don’t. 

Thankfully I’ve only had one issue with a buyer on eBay, they didn’t pay and I lost the sale as a result. Resisted and sold later for less... so I’m a bit bitter.

Both buyers and sellers are at risk, just depends on what side your on when it happens.

It looks like Ebay is moving now; more towards not leaving feedback until after the buyer does.  Ebay has changed the "buyer leave feedback"

to now start with two options of "leave feedback" or "report buyer"...that says to me that alot of bad buyers are out there!

20 minutes ago, Ottobord said:

Its almost impossible to get "ripped off on ebay" as a buyer.  Perhaps if you pay by check or money order, other than that I can't think of a way.   It sure can be a hassle at times but "ripped off"?  don't see it

Sounds true...However ...It can take very long to be reimbursed. ...As long as you don't care a bad seller is ripping off Paypa/Ebay for the money in the process and ruining a customers faith in Ebay comic book sales!