• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIPPED OFF ON EBAY..HOW TO AVOID IT!
3 3

70 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

OTOH, every seller sold their first item with 0 feedback.

True.But when a seller is offing $100+ books as their opener it's a red flag to watch out.I have purchased lower dollar books from first time sellers many times and had it work out just fine. But overtime I don't believe buying an Expensive book from someone with no proven history is a risk worth taking.

14 minutes ago, Mackenzie999 said:

If everyone on this board that had been ripped off on Ebay posted a single reply this thread would be hundreds of pages long.

There actually is a are few threads about eBay issues, and they are about as long as one would expect 

4 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

#4 Has nothing to do with determining a seller's trustworthiness.  Sellers get ripped off a lot as well, and we've even lost to ability to give negative feedback.  I never give the buyer feedback untill they give me positive.  They pay get your item and then can do so many things sellers are powerless to.  Chargeback, forced returns, never recieved item claims, "not as described" refusal of package, send back a different broken item, buyers remorse, etc.  All this after I gave positive feedback just cause they paid? No way.  Feedback for buyers is pretty much useless unless it's super low anyway.

And I thought I was the only seller that had all of that garbage happen to. :p.

YUP ...would this be under the category of buyer's remorse?

Just recently I had a winning bidder pay for the item, then send me a message that they had paid with the wrong credit card and could I please send them a refund.

Then I could relist the item at the winning price and they would pay right away with the correct card. Yeah ok, I will give you the benefit of the doubt..

I comply, and now I have to submit a claim for disputed/non paid item to get the fees removed, once that is done then I can relist the item but only if I have the listing room to do so( I didn't ) so then I had to contact Ebay to request higher selling limits ) which Ebay gave me but it was insufficient to relist the item so I had to contact them again to request another increase and I was told Ebay only allowed one increase per monthly cycle so I explained why I needed higher limits and finally some higher level person was able to renegotiate my selling limits and THEN I was able to relist the item and I contacted that buyer and I never heard from him again.

I can't leave negative feedback, so basically that buyer just caused me a bunch of hassle and it cost me about 4 hours of my time ( why does Ebay make it so hard to contact them?). So annoying.

Thankfully I did sell the item to the next highest bidder via the "second chance offer".

Edited by Artboy99

18 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

And I thought I was the only seller that had all of that garbage happen to. :p.

YUP ...would this be under the category of buyer's remorse?

Just recently I had a winning bidder pay for the item, then send me a message that they had paid with the wrong credit card and could I please send them a refund.

Then I could relist the item at the winning price and they would pay right away with the correct card. Yeah ok, I will give you the benefit of the doubt..

I comply, and now I have to submit a claim for disputed/non paid item to get the fees removed, once that is done then I can relist the item but only if I have the listing room to do so( I didn't ) so then I had to contact Ebay to request higher selling limits ) which Ebay gave me but it was insufficient to relist the item so I had to contact them again to request another increase and I was told Ebay only allowed one increase per monthly cycle so I explained why I needed higher limits and finally some higher level person was able to renegotiate my selling limits and THEN I was able to relist the item and I contacted that buyer and I never heard from him again.

I can't leave negative feedback, so basically that buyer just caused me a bunch of hassle and it cost me about 4 hours of my time ( why does Ebay make it so hard to contact them?). So annoying.

Thankfully I did sell the item to the next highest bidder via the "second chance offer".

That sounds awful..and complex...how much$ was this item listed for.You an get a direct line to Ebay through twitter and facebook.

3 minutes ago, Pizzafist said:

That sounds awful..and complex...how much$ was this item listed for.You an get a direct line to Ebay through twitter and facebook.

slightly over $1000

Contacting Ebay through Ebay.ca requires that I go through a questionnaire to streamline my request and perhaps to find a solution on the site rather than speak to a real person.

In the case of increasing my seller limits the second time I could not find a way to get to the "contact Ebay and here is the calling code" screen so I had to choose a route that got me that result. Took me some time. Was very annoying.

Edited by Artboy99

Just now, Artboy99 said:

slightly over $1000

That's more than I've ever dealt with,I guess I would have clicked on the "cancel transaction" link to the right of your item under "items sold" in your my ebay. You would still give the refund but the transaction would be closed automatically by Ebay fairly quick ,even if the fake buyer does not reply. Some buyers are just plain terrible.I'm sorry this happened to you.

2 minutes ago, Pizzafist said:

That's more than I've ever dealt with,I guess I would have clicked on the "cancel transaction" link to the right of your item under "items sold" in your my ebay. You would still give the refund but the transaction would be closed automatically by Ebay fairly quick ,even if the fake buyer does not reply. Some buyers are just plain terrible.I'm sorry this happened to you.

Can you cancel a transaction that has been paid for?

Then where is it OK to start trusting a seller?  I have about a 140 rating.  I started where everyone else does, and like most have about a 2/3 return on my feedback, so that number should really be higher.  Everyone must start at nothing, so when do you start trusting a seller? Granted most of what I have sold is in the $75 to $150 rang but have a few sales well above that.

48 minutes ago, drotto said:

Then where is it OK to start trusting a seller?  I have about a 140 rating.  I started where everyone else does, and like most have about a 2/3 return on my feedback, so that number should really be higher.  Everyone must start at nothing, so when do you start trusting a seller? Granted most of what I have sold is in the $75 to $150 rang but have a few sales well above that.

agreed. have to develop a feedback. To me feedback as a buyer is also important. Reveals the character of the individual.

On 10/20/2017 at 9:13 AM, Artboy99 said:

Yes but then is that the correct way to do this? My way while more time consuming is the "right way" is it not?

I think it would be the correct way since the buyer wanted you to cancel the sale and relist.I can't see any problem with it.But I don't work for paypal so I can't be certain.I think it would have made things easier on you though...my two cents. Sounds like a lame buyer...I guess the only positive side might be the sale would be listed in Ebay history and might inspire others to buy the book for your price?...Maybe that's a reach?

3 hours ago, drotto said:

Sounds like you're an honest seller and a credit to ebay.  I hope they treat you fair. I personally give most sellers a chance when I'm buying unless the book seems too good to be true or they start off with pricey books right away...I would buy from you without thinking twice about it.As far as how many feedback make someone feel safe I guess that's a personal answer every buyer must decide on.

Don't assume #3 is always fake transactions either.  In my 15 years of buying there were several times I arranged locally to pick up an item the same day I paid for it.  You can find nearby listings by sorting search results by distance.  

I will add my thoughts on safely selling:

You cannot control who bids on your items so give up on putting things like "no bidders below x feedback".  it is now against ebay rules and your listings will be cancelled.  

Anytime someone buys from you that you are uncertain of/do not know, take pictures of the item during and after packing the box, ALWAYS PAY FOR SIGNATURE CONFIRM and tracking.  This along with the pictures will be your only defense against false chargeback/not-received claims.

Edited by 90sChild