• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

From The Collection Of....Mel Cummin
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Picked up a copy of this nice infinity cover recently, opened it up to see ink stamps on splash page indicating "Mel Cummin Art Director" & "Property of Mel Cummin".  Doing a search I came up with this from Wikipedia

" Mel Cummin drew covers, interiors, and he also served as art director from 1946-49 for Novelty Press,[22] one of the numerous comic book publishers of the Golden Age of the 1940s (his tenure as art director there is alternately listed as 1943-1948 on the Who's Who of American Comic Books 1928-1999 website).[14] The cover to Target Comics #V7 #1, [1] for example, was produced from Cummin's pencil and ink artwork. "

I thought it was a cool piece of history to go along with the book!  Has anyone else seen books with these notations before?

kk1.jpg

On 10/21/2017 at 5:05 PM, Robot Man said:

Will this do?

I used to work with his wife. Got to meet him and he gave me these when he found out how much I loved his show as a kid and was a comic book collector.

combevhillbillies8.jpg

buddyebsonphoto.jpg

Really neat! I loved that show as a kid.  I remember that when it first came on, my father wouldn't let us watch it on the grounds that the premise was too implausible/stupid.  Then one day, he somehow saw an episode, liked it, and the ban was lifted.

I was surprised to later find out that Buddy Ebsen had had a career as a musical comedy star in the 1930s.  He was apparently slated to be the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz before he had an adverse reaction to the metallic makeup.

Not quite as shocking as when I saw good ol' Fred MacMurray in Double Indemnity:whatthe: