• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC's Future: the crystal ball
2 2

51 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I actually have absolutely no problem at all with a price war, or even price increases for that matter, because it is something that is obvious and clearly visible that all potential customers can see and make their own decisions if they want to use that service or not.  (thumbsu

The issue I have is when they compromise their own product by having a "grading war" in a veiled attempt to give the impression that they have a superior product that has more value, as compared to the competitor which as a result, must then have an inferior product.  Of course, we all know what happens here when we get the expected response from the other competing companies.  Although some customers think they are getting ahead, it's actually a slow spiral and what I call a race to the bottom, with both the hobby and marketplace losing out long term unless one of them puts a stop to the silly game.  hm

Especially when the grading standards are undisclosed to the marketplace and as a result, open to subtle but significant changes almost at a whim in order to align with the business agenda of the day.  :ph34r:

That seems to be the issue here, the "grading war"....with a lot on the line, 1/2 grade can mean $$$ and I mean big ones especially on the "whale books" such as A1, DEt 27.....but again it is subjective...I think CGC will create some kind of response..business wise to this major move in the comic book grading market place. Any guesses?

22 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:
On 10/26/2017 at 9:04 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Interesting observations.

Just asking: do the graders at CGC or the other place know the identity of the book submitter when they grade a book?

And does HA submit books they’ve purchased (from dealers and comic cons and other third parties) for grading at CGC, for resale at their own HA auctions?

In theory, the graders are supposed to know absolutely nothing about the books in hand. If you deslabbed the book before submitting they wouldn't know anyway. Regarding HA, I have no idea but I suspect it happens. To be honest, I don't have a problem, no biggie, with any relationship that may exist between HA and CGC. 

Even if you submit the books to CGC still in one of the other companies' slabs, the book has been cracked out before the graders see it. 

Of course, the graders are not kept locked away from the world between shifts (come to think of it, maybe this should be considered hm), so they could hardly not know who the owner is of some pedigree GA keys or other big books that have been discussed in the hobby.

51 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Of course, the graders are not kept locked away from the world between shifts (come to think of it, maybe this should be considered hm), so they could hardly not know who the owner is of some pedigree GA keys or other big books that have been discussed in the hobby.

Yes, they are kept locked up from both the real world and these make believe boards as far as I know and only come out when it's time to do more grading.  :gossip:

That's why they never knew all of those books belonged to Jon Berk when his collection went through and got graded and slabbed.  :D

6 hours ago, EverKnew said:
On 10/27/2017 at 11:21 AM, Knightsofold said:

I hope this results in better customer service at CGC, and the long overdue free graders notes.  I still prefer cgc.

Long overdue? You know CGC gave out grading notes for free for 14 years, right?

Welcome to the Boards! 

As far as I know, the only person that gets free grading notes are the ones who submitted the books in for grading, and then only if you request them.  :gossip:

Everybody else who wants to have the grading notes will have to pay for them and the cost is dependent upon the grading teir and can range from something like $5 to $15 per book for the notes.  It's free money for CGC if you want the notes.   :devil:

A virtual cash cow for them since it's simply a completely automated system that sends the grading notes to you after swiping (pun fully intended) the monies from your credit card and depositing it right into their own bank account.  :flipbait:

Especially in the case of when the grading notes is only one short sentence and actually even shorter than the notes already on the CGC label itself.  Now, that's when you realize you've really been ripped off.  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, EverKnew said:

Long overdue? You know CGC gave out grading notes for free for 14 years, right?

I had forgotten about this.  I would call and get the notes but it was only for books I had subbed.  I assumed you could get others but never did.  I do understand not wanting to do it over the phone due to the staff and time burden but charging to get access for a few electronically shared words on non-subbed books is not user friendly.

lou_fine lays it out perfectly above.

Seeing as i collect cards and comics a few observations.

beckett grades cards, they also sell there own cards through ebay i think and a card auction house.

they are in Texas

they have now bought a comic grading company and i would expect them to sell that brand as well.

how this is not a conflict of interest is beyond me, but as has been said in this thread there are seversl people that have there toes dipped into both sides of the game.

James G

2 hours ago, jgallo said:

Seeing as i collect cards and comics a few observations.

beckett grades cards, they also sell there own cards through ebay i think and a card auction house.

they are in Texas

they have now bought a comic grading company and i would expect them to sell that brand as well.

how this is not a conflict of interest is beyond me, but as has been said in this thread there are seversl people that have there toes dipped into both sides of the game.

James G

Beckett is growing, and this was a very smart move, early on in the "other guys" business life,  say two years from now they would double the price....there is an endgame....there always is, I predict within the next 7 years there will be ONE grading company period...it could be that both CGC and Beckett will merge, but most likely a stock purchase. Just makes sense taking two operations and cutting it down to one. We are at the point of diminishing  returns as far as new collectors of the physical comic book, too many other distractions in the entertainment area . The classic stuff will always be there, but the "other guys" knew they were on a time limit to hit peak value, maybe a bit early, but never be too greedy.

This similar to the "dime novels" of many many  years ago, they had price guide, they shows etc...who knows or cares about them today? The greatest comic book work has already been created in this field, the next field is yet to be here, I think comic books morph into graphic novels...on the computer as far as an end game goes.

Forks, remember this rule..BUY what you LOVE, do not buy assuming that somebody is gonna pay  more money...and  in terms of investment always remember , comic books are not tangible income producing assets, no rents, no crops, no dividends ..only the hope down the line, that somebody is gonna pay a price that exceeded yours  and that amount  hopefully will exceed the inflation factor  from the time  when you bought it to  the  time when you sold it.

Buy the book for pride of ownership , not the hope that somebody is gonna believe that "somebody else" is gonna buy the book for more $$$$ when they buy it from you.

Edited by Mmehdy

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:30 PM, telerites said:

I had forgotten about this.  I would call and get the notes but it was only for books I had subbed.  I assumed you could get others but never did.  I do understand not wanting to do it over the phone due to the staff and time burden but charging to get access for a few electronically shared words on non-subbed books is not user friendly.

lou_fine lays it out perfectly above.

Not only would they give the notes, but they would also disclose if one of the graders had given the book a higher grade than the final grade. I picked up several books that were 8.5's where one of the graders had given it a 9.0..... always nice books. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

20 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Beckett is growing, and this was a very smart move, early on in the "other guys" business life,  say two years from now they would double the price....there is an endgame....there always is, I predict within the next 7 years there will be ONE grading company period...it could be that both CGC and Beckett will merge, but most likely a stock purchase. Just makes sense taking two operations and cutting it down to one. We are at the point of diminishing  returns as far as new collectors of the physical comic book, too many other distractions in the entertainment area . The classic stuff will always be there, but the "other guys" knew they were on a time limit to hit peak value, maybe a bit early, but never be too greedy.

This similar to the "dime novels" of many many  years ago, they had price guide, they shows etc...who knows or cares about them today? The greatest comic book work has already been created in this field, the next field is yet to be here, I think comic books morph into graphic novels...on the computer as far as an end game goes.

Forks, remember this rule..BUY what you LOVE, do not buy assuming that somebody is gonna pay  more money...and  in terms of investment always remember , comic books are not tangible income producing assets, no rents, no crops, no dividends ..only the hope down the line, that somebody is gonna pay a price that exceeded yours  and that amount  hopefully will exceed the inflation factor  from the time  when you bought it to  the  time when you sold it.

Buy the book for pride of ownership , not the hope that somebody is gonna believe that "somebody else" is gonna buy the book for more $$$$ when they buy it from you.

There have been 3 major trading card 3 party grading companies for well over 10 years, none of them have ever merged or been bought out.  I don't see that happening with comics either.  Hell PGX is still grading books for people.  As long as a company has fans and capital they will continue, I think both the comics grading companies now have booth.  I don't think they will ever merge into one.

I also don't think comic collecting will vanish.  People still collect 100 year old baseball cards and more people consider that a dead sport and business. 

Dime novels don't have the character recognition that comics do that is a primary reason why comics will never fade.  People still come into my show and ask for Duck books, these characters wont' just fade...

James G

21 hours ago, jgallo said:

There have been 3 major trading card 3 party grading companies for well over 10 years, none of them have ever merged or been bought out.  I don't see that happening with comics either.  Hell PGX is still grading books for people.  As long as a company has fans and capital they will continue, I think both the comics grading companies now have booth.  I don't think they will ever merge into one.

I also don't think comic collecting will vanish.  People still collect 100 year old baseball cards and more people consider that a dead sport and business. 

Dime novels don't have the character recognition that comics do that is a primary reason why comics will never fade.  People still come into my show and ask for Duck books, these characters wont' just fade...

James G

I am not saying this will happen this year or next but when comic book/comic art market is gonna contract as the last of the newsstand buyers go away. At that point 2 major grading services are gonna realize what is good for both of them