• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC's Future: the crystal ball
2 2

51 posts in this topic

:takeit:With Beckett's acquiring the "other company" in a stock merger, what is the next step for CGC and how with that impact us GA collectors who must depend of their expert advice as to whether  a book has been repaired...or something like that. GA collectors need a grading service, especially with current prices what they are.

When the "Other Guy" started I predicted that they would either merge or CGC would buy them out and do a stock merger( 60% cgc/40% other guy) etc.  Now that they have upped their game and added tremendous capital to the their operation, look for expansion/faster service CGC cannot afford to stay in its position . What about CGC....here is my prediction, actually a few.

1-CGC is bought by HA.com

They could do it and write a check, it would be a change of dynamic  for them , but they save $$ with in house grading of every book put at auction, their website expertise would help CGC out, and it could lead to more purchases and of course Ha makes the big bucks on coins, a natural for a merger.

2-CGC is bought by Steve Geppi

Big tax write off, cool merger with the "comic book price guide", possibly liking all comic shops to the CGC as grading stations, a lot of possibilities here with this one.

3-CGC and Beckett and "the other guy" still merge

The most likely here, really this is how business works, buying market share...look for a 65/35 stock split with CGC on top. But since they both operate in Florida they could consolidate operations for higher profits.

Folks the future is exciting ...stay tuned..what are you thoughts?????

Mitch,

CGC is the tail on the dog that is the Certified Collectibles Group LLC -- CGC's parent.  CCG is chaired and managed by Mark Salzberg, and he is much more of a coin guy than a comic guy.  NGC, one of the coin arms of CCG, has locations not only in Sarasota, Florida, but also Zurich, Switzerland; Munich, Germany; Guangzhou and Shanghai, China; Hong Kong; Seoul, Korea; Singapore; and Taipei, Taiwan.  NGC has graded over 30 million coins.  In short, I suspect that CCG views SB's comic grading company as competition for CGC, but competition which is essentially immaterial to CCG's overall bottom line.  There appears to be no shortage of work for either company.  CGC is overwhelmed with turnaround times lengthening.  So I'm not sure why CCG should be concerned.

Edited by sfcityduck

Selling to Beckett was more of a necessity and less of a strategic plan.  They simply couldn't survive without capital injection.  It will be interesting to see where Beckett goes with this but they will be cautious as the marketshare is decidedly one-sided; hence the sale.  On top of this CGC's parent, CCG, is a behemoth compared to Beckett so them buying CGC is highly unlikely.  I'd say business as usual for certain for CGC.  It will be interesting to see if Beckett is able to breathe life into their new acquisition.  They've got quite a chore ahead of them.

11 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

3 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

Seems like an auction house owning a grading service might be a slight (read: huge) conflict of interest, but that's just me.

If I remember correctly, isn't there already an indirect or minority ownership relationship between the 2 companies?  ???

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Selling to Beckett was more of a necessity and less of a strategic plan.  They simply couldn't survive without capital injection.  It will be interesting to see where Beckett goes with this but they will be cautious as the marketshare is decidedly one-sided; hence the sale.  On top of this CGC's parent, CCG, is a behemoth compared to Beckett so them buying CGC is highly unlikely.  I'd say business as usual for certain for CGC.  It will be interesting to see if Beckett is able to breathe life into their new acquisition.  They've got quite a chore ahead of them.

I think you're right.  Their failure even to make the minor outlays necessary to start a census or fix their train wreck of a chat board made me think that money was very tight. 

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

If I remember correctly, isn't there already an indirect or minority ownership relationship between the 2 companies?  ???

I assume that Jim Halperin is still part owner of CGC.  So in that sense Heritage does have a minority ownership of CGC.  

17 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I assume that Jim Halperin is still part owner of CGC.  So in that sense Heritage does have a minority ownership of CGC.  

Steve Ivy is as well.

CGC = HA, guys, always has been

Edited by Bronty

18 minutes ago, Bronty said:
36 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Steve Ivy is as well.

CGC = HA, guys, always has been

Yes, nothing new at all and the reason why there were screams of potential conflict of interest right from the get go.

Similar to the screams of conflict of interest when CCG brought out CCS and included them under their umbrella of companies. 

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I Got burned once on a BIG cgc book purchased from Heritage. A clearly overgraded 9.0. Just sayin ...

54 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

I Got burned once on a BIG cgc book purchased from Heritage. A clearly overgraded 9.0. Just sayin ...

Not trying to be critical with my question but are you saying HA was at fault for not suggesting the CGC grade did not meet your expectation of a 9.0 or that you did not agree with CGC's 9.0 grade when you received the book or that HA and CGC are in some clandestine partnership to sell overgraded slabs?  Or something else?

Was the book a consignment perhaps from a private party? 

Again just trying to understand and apologies for my apparent denseness and am not trying to defend HA, CGC, consignor, etc. - it just got curiosity piqued. 

18 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

:takeit:With Beckett's acquiring the "other company" in a stock merger, what is the next step for CGC and how with that impact us GA collectors who must depend of their expert advice as to whether  a book has been repaired...or something like that. GA collectors need a grading service, especially with current prices what they are.

When the "Other Guy" started I predicted that they would either merge or CGC would buy them out and do a stock merger( 60% cgc/40% other guy) etc.  Now that they have upped their game and added tremendous capital to the their operation, look for expansion/faster service CGC cannot afford to stay in its position . What about CGC....here is my prediction, actually a few.

They could do it and write a check, it would be a change of dynamic  for them , but they save $$ with in house grading of every book put at auction, their website expertise would help CGC out, and it could lead to more purchases and of course Ha makes the big bucks on coins, a natural for a merger.

2-CGC is bought by Steve Geppi

Big tax write off, cool merger with the "comic book price guide", possibly liking all comic shops to the CGC as grading stations, a lot of possibilities here with this one.

3-CGC and Beckett and "the other guy" still merge

The most likely here, really this is how business works, buying market share...look for a 65/35 stock split with CGC on top. But since they both operate in Florida they could consolidate operations for higher profits.

Folks the future is exciting ...stay tuned..what are you thoughts?????

Isn't CGC already owned by the same company that also owns the established and respectable SGC (sports card grading company) that's been competing with Beckett for many years?

The real question is whether the other company will introduce a BCCG type grading model to comics?

We got a taste of that from the other company when they introduced a version of no frills grading that did not include a restoration check.

1 minute ago, bronze johnny said:

Isn't CGC already owned by the same company that also owns the established and respectable SGC (sports card grading company) that's been competing with Beckett for many years?

The real question is whether the other company will introduce a BCCG type grading model to comics?

We got a taste of that from the other company when they introduced a version of no frills grading that did not include a restoration check.

I forgot about that.  I wonder if it generated much business?  I'm thinking that it didn't.

16 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I forgot about that.  I wonder if it generated much business?  I'm thinking that it didn't.

It didn't but one thing to keep in mind is that Beckett has a few grading models in the world of sports cards and I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar happen here. The BCCG model has been very successful for Beckett so let's see if they try it. 

SGC (CGC's counterpart in sports cards) has successfully held its own against PSA and Beckett so I'm not sure what the OP's cause for alarm is?

Edited by bronze johnny

12 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

The BCCG model has been very successful for Beckett so let's see if they try it. 

Since I don't follow the sports card market, what exactly is this BCCG model and how would it apply to the comic book market?  ???

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Since I don't follow the sports card market, what exactly is this BCCG model and how would it apply to the comic book market?  ???

CGC's parent company has had a stake in the sports card collecting market for some time. Beckett, however, is a company that has different grading models within it. CGC's competitor already attempted to apply something similar to Beckett's BCCG grading model. Whether Beckett applies a BCCG model in the comic book market is the question that should be looked at because the result could have an impact on the comic book market, for better? or worse? I'm not going to make a prediction. Here's some info on BCCG:

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/showthread.php/19999-What-is-BCCG-grading-service-and-why-use-it