• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your deal breaker?
1 1

56 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

I agree - if you are the one offering, you need to set a price.

I agree. If a piece is NFS and a collector inquires about a possible sale, they should be ready to start the discussion with a number. By that same token, if a piece is listed as available, the owner should provide a number. What I see as most frustrating is when a piece is not overtly listed as being for sale when it really is and the seller is fishing for buyers but wants to play coy and insists on the seller giving a price. 

5 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

I agree. If a piece is NFS and a collector inquires about a possible sale, they should be ready to start the discussion with a number. By that same token, if a piece is listed as available, the owner should provide a number. What I see as most frustrating is when a piece is not overtly listed as being for sale when it really is and the seller is fishing for buyers but wants to play coy and insists on the seller giving a price. 

I agree with everything you've said here, but I found myself very recently - inadvertently - acting against these beliefs.

I saw a seller put up a few pages from a series I collect in a 'for sale' gallery. He had another page from the same book that he had not included and was listed NFS, however, I had long ago set my sights on it, so I sent him a brief message and said if he was thinking about adding that page as well, or if he tried to move it in the future, to please let me know as I'd long been an admirer of it. I also had generally admired a few other pieces of his, especially a very nice Mignola that I'd never seen before. He replied back saying he hadn't planned to sell it, but I could offer, at which point I replied back - honestly - that I truly hadn't been looking to 'jar it loose' or anything like that, I just wanted to be on his radar lol   

Still the end result - we actually did come to a deal - means I broke my own rule here. If I see something listed as NFS, the most I ever intend to do is compliment the owner, and get on their radar if they ever decide they want to sell in the future.

57 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

My rule of thumb is this: If you advertise that your art is for sale, you should put it up for auction, or put a sales price on it. If it is not advertised for sale, then it is incumbent upon the potential buyer to inquire if it is. At that point, it is appropriate for the owner to say: "I'm not looking to sell, but make me an offer." At that point, you make an offer, or explain why you've changed your mind.

If you advertise that your OA is for sale, and you get inquiries on the price, it is not OK to say "make me an offer." I dislike that tactic. You want to sell it. You should be up front about how much it would take to part with the piece. If you want multiple bidders on it, then put it up for auction, don't play games. I also dislike the tactic of saying it is for sale, but not publishing the price and forcing people to make a specific inquiry about it. An unadvertised sale price just opens the process up to manipulation. You may give one buyer one price, and another a different one, knowing they are a "whale" or that they need the piece to finish a book, etc.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

There is so much grey in this area and many ways to list your art where you can say it isn’t listed as being for sale but it clearly is. Here are a few that come to mind – what else are out there?

NFS … but it never hurts to ask

Only the shadow knows (or something like this)

_____ (nothing in the field, not even an NFS)

Open to offers

I personally don’t have a problem with how people list art (each to their own) and have learned how to navigate buying from just about any type of listing.

2 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I agree with everything you've said here, but I found myself very recently - inadvertently - acting against these beliefs.

I saw a seller put up a few pages from a series I collect in a 'for sale' gallery. He had another page from the same book that he had not included and was listed NFS, however, I had long ago set my sights on it, so I sent him a brief message and said if he was thinking about adding that page as well, or if he tried to move it in the future, to please let me know as I'd long been an admirer of it. I also had generally admired a few other pieces of his, especially a very nice Mignola that I'd never seen before. He replied back saying he hadn't planned to sell it, but I could offer, at which point I replied back - honestly - that I truly hadn't been looking to 'jar it loose' or anything like that, I just wanted to be on his radar lol   

Still the end result - we actually did come to a deal - means I broke my own rule here. If I see something listed as NFS, the most I ever intend to do is compliment the owner, and get on their radar if they ever decide they want to sell in the future.

you might have broken the letter of the rule but I saw nothing wrong for your approach.  I'm the same way although have not overtly acted, many pieces I would be interested in if it was for sale at market, but I'm not about to offer something that would entice someone to sell if they weren't keen on selling.

Malvin

38 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

There is so much grey in this area and many ways to list your art where you can say it isn’t listed as being for sale but it clearly is. Here are a few that come to mind – what else are out there?

Open to offers

I personally don’t have a problem with how people list art (each to their own) and have learned how to navigate buying from just about any type of listing.

ouch! one of those is mine! :)

But I'll state my intent clearly.

If something in my gallery is marked as "NFS.. but it never hurts to ask", its basically something that I am not actively selling, but would be willing to sell at market.  Plain "NFS" is basically not for sale.  And while I may still sell if it was "shake the jar loose" pricing, I may still reject offers that are multiples of market.

Malvin

10 minutes ago, malvin said:

ouch! one of those is mine! :)

But I'll state my intent clearly.

If something in my gallery is marked as "NFS.. but it never hurts to ask", its basically something that I am not actively selling, but would be willing to sell at market.  Plain "NFS" is basically not for sale.  And while I may still sell if it was "shake the jar loose" pricing, I may still reject offers that are multiples of market.

Malvin

I almost made a comment about your approach Malvin but I didn't want to go too personal - I hope you didn't take offense. Yours is an example I can actually appreciate as you are extremely easy and pleasant to work with (as evidence with my multi art purchase from you). I opened the dialog and we had a good exchange where you ultimately gave me a price(s). My point is that there are many ways that the willingness/desire/openness to sell are depicted. 

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

I almost made a comment about your approach Malvin but I didn't want to go too personal - I hope you didn't take offense. Yours is an example I can actually appreciate as you are extremely easy and pleasant to work with (as evidence with my multi art purchase from you). I opened the dialog and we had a good exchange where you ultimately gave me a price(s). My point is that there are many ways that the willingness/desire/openness to sell are depicted. 

ha ha, no offence at all.  That's why I did the smiley face emoticon!  I thought you were in with the lingo and could read my intent :)

Malvin

4 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

Open to offers

My favorite is ???

Trust me -that one- will never get any traction with my wallet opening. Evuh. :)

6 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

If you advertise that your OA is for sale, and you get inquiries on the price, it is not OK to say "make me an offer." I dislike that tactic. You want to sell it. You should be up front about how much it would take to part with the piece. If you want multiple bidders on it, then put it up for auction, don't play games. I also dislike the tactic of saying it is for sale, but not publishing the price and forcing people to make a specific inquiry about it. An unadvertised sale price just opens the process up to manipulation. You may give one buyer one price, and another a different one, knowing they are a "whale" or that they need the piece to finish a book, etc.

All good for private collectors, but how do you feel about "make me an offer" in the case of a rep and artist? Case in point being: Felix's recent drop of Daniel Warren Johnson's Cherno? I myself have mixed feelings; I can empathize with both the pro and con of it, and find myself wanting to give a pass to the artist (which might be the weakness of hypocrisy creeping in - GAAAAH!!)

3 hours ago, vodou said:

All good for private collectors, but how do you feel about "make me an offer" in the case of a rep and artist? Case in point being: Felix's recent drop of Daniel Warren Johnson's Cherno? I myself have mixed feelings; I can empathize with both the pro and con of it, and find myself wanting to give a pass to the artist (which might be the weakness of hypocrisy creeping in - GAAAAH!!)

Yeah, not my preference. Which is why I keep this sort of thing to a bare minimum (we've had over 10000 pieces on the site in the last few years, and have asked for offers exactly three times). In this case, Daniel doesn't really want to sell the work, but if he gets a number he likes, he will. It happened before with his GREEN LEADER comic. If no one steps up, he's perfectly content to keep it.

19 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

My rule of thumb is this: If you advertise that your art is for sale, you should put it up for auction, or put a sales price on it. If it is not advertised for sale, then it is incumbent upon the potential buyer to inquire if it is. At that point, it is appropriate for the owner to say: "I'm not looking to sell, but make me an offer." At that point, you make an offer, or explain why you've changed your mind.

Gee, I wonder what dealer does that? [not really]

12 hours ago, Nexus said:

Yeah, not my preference. Which is why I keep this sort of thing to a bare minimum (we've had over 10000 pieces on the site in the last few years, and have asked for offers exactly three times). In this case, Daniel doesn't really want to sell the work, but if he gets a number he likes, he will. It happened before with his GREEN LEADER comic. If no one steps up, he's perfectly content to keep it.

I generally make exceptions for artists who are reluctantly selling their own work. That’s a special case.