• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, abandoned storage units - anyone bought one?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

There's a newish service gaining a tiny amount of traction here in Australia, probably following on from the trashy TV shows you guys send us - buying up the contents in abandoned storage lockers.

Bit different here - its only in it's early days, but it's all online (we have a funny law apparently that forbids public viewing).

I got on to this as I bought 40 old Aussie comics from a guy who found them in a locker,(he also got 50-60 boxed Star Trek figures and 2000 Aussie Rules Football Cards, some old Atari games etc) - and he kindly gave me the website address.

Rules:

Pay online via CC straight away if you win

$200 clean-up deposit (so you take everything away and don't leave junk behind) - fully returned once everything is out

72 hrs to get your stuff

All 'as-is'

The only reason I ask, is that whilst there are only about 10 currently running in Victoria, they are all within 5kms of my house, so easy to get to - and I will be sensible (no big or heavy stuff like electrical appliances, household furniture etc) just lockers with boxes and stuff that fit in the back of a car. Being local a few trips won't matter.

All boxes inside locker remain sealed until you 'win' it.

My question is - has anyone done this, and if so what collectables, such as comics, figures, games, cards etc did you find?

I'm fully aware that my chances of finding mostly junk are high - but it is not expensive (as it's newish and not many bidders) and it's local.

I also have a couple of good outlets for 'junk' as long as it's clean and tidy - by 'junk' I mean stuff that's not comic related.

The company running the auctions are 100% reputable, and there have been zero problems with them.

So - have any of you done this, and if so, any success stories.

Or disasters......

Edited by Beige

Most of the time -- you get junk.

The huge scores you see on TV = are planted. Stories and prices exaggerated - makes for good TV.

I know of a local guy that does the auction circuit - most lockers are junk - but cheap. Better items are sometimes bid up - because of the rookies who think the shows are real.

The setup in your area seems ok - sounds like it is not overcrowded so less $$$.  Try a couple and see what you get. If you want to do this regularly - have a plan for moving all kings of household junk..... You will likely have to sift through a lot of that for each collectable stash.

I went to a yard sale of a person who bought a storage unit. It was mostly all office furniture but he found two long boxes of comics as well. I was able to snag a handful of key books but I couldn’t help notice his garage and front yard looked like a junk yard. If you have a quick way to rid of the junk like you mentioned, you have the desire and time, then why not. 

A friend of mine bought a storage locker, a rail container. It was actually the sloppy seconds from a friend of his who bought the container just for the tools and misc. he had no interest in the comics so sold the remains to my friend. 

The comics were okay, mostly 80’s stuff that he sold for a buck a piece to move quickly. A few keys but nothing spectacular. The real score was the thousands of vintage paperbacks. Tons of sci fi, action and TV related. He sold the Dell mapbacks, Ace doubles and early Avon’s and GGA stuff online and did really well. Then sold what he could at a buck a piece at fleas and local sales. Donated the remainders.

The end. 

There are several storage businesses who I have dealt with in the past. They normally list abandoned property on a website that I believe auctions stuff off, but I know they won't chance good stuff or stuff they know has value to these venues. So they call me, I go look at the collections, make an offer, and buy it all. It's worked out great for me, but to be clear, I had to develop these relationships, and I WILL NOT buy anything from abandoned storage lockers sight unseen.

I have been to a few auctions, never pulled the trigger.  Never seen any comics personally.

I have been asked to appraise comics from storage auctions wins.  The most exciting thing was a few thrashed D.C. 100 pagers.  I always wondered if the good stuff is taken beforehand.  This is illegal in California but there is no way to regulate, in my opinion.

Just now, Readcomix said:

Soooo... You scored Deadman's first appearance, eh?

BTW, this particular owner of a storage unit biz is constantly approached by the Storage Wars fools to buy "filler" stuff for their fake-#%* tv show. He always refuses. 

Edited by NoMan

A guy out here in CA found Nick Cage's Action #1 in a storage locker. Can you imagine? He, of course, had to give it up.

I have never bought one but I have a friend who does on a semi regular basis. I bought two long boxes of decent SA books from him at a good price. Several nice keys and a lot of nice other stuff. He usually calls me when he finds antiques and collectibles. 

1) Most of the time you get junk. Make sure there is something visible in the locker that you are willing to get out of the deal .... in most cases this means a higher bidding price.

2) Don't be afraid to leave the clean-up deposit and make them deal with the garbage. Around here, by the time you rent a van / truck and pay the dump fees it's about $100 - $150 depending upon what you are getting rid of. On top of that it takes your time (everyone values that differently).

3) We have found a few really cool items in lockers but never any comics.

Hopefully that helps and good luck with your hunt!

Thanks guys

I'm getting from this - approach with caution, buy smaller lockers and have a disposal plan.

I may have a go at one and see what I find - most seem to go between $50 - $500

If I get anything I will let you know - but am being realistic about my chances.

:foryou:

One of the guys I've become friendly with in the estate sale circuit buys units regularly.  He pays low and ends up donating 90%  of the stuff to different charities.

I don't see it as a successful business model but  it apparently works for him.

In Vegas, almost all of these are done on the internet, not live.

I have an indoor climate controlled UHAUL unit in Las Vegas which had contained my original art portfolios since I work overseas and sold my home.  To my surprise upon visiting it one day on a trip back, there was a crowd of a dozen people hanging around right in front of it.  I asked what was going on and they said an auction was about to start for this unit.  I was like, the hell there is!  The UHAUL rep showed up and apologized for giving the wrong unit number.  My art collection currently resides elsewhere.  

I did go check out the auction and they walked down the hall, cut the lock off the unit and lifted the door.  No one was allowed to enter or touch anything.  They had to bid blind based on what they could see.

Edited by Reader

4 minutes ago, Reader said:

I have an indoor climate controlled UHAUL unit in Las Vegas which had contained my original art portfolios since I work overseas and sold my home.  To my surprise upon visiting it one day on a trip back, there was a crowd of a dozen people hanging around right in front of it.  I asked what was going on and they said an auction was about to start for this unit.  I was like, the hell there is!  The UHAUL rep showed up and apologized for giving the wrong unit number.  My art collection currently resides elsewhere.  

:fear:dang that would tick me off too

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

From a collectibles standpoint, how many hundreds, if not thousands of storage lockers are auctioned off every weekend in the USA?  Then how many success stories of anything decent getting pulled out do we hear?  1%?   Not sure if it's worth it, unless you are 'all in' for the liquidating the rest of the stuff (tools, chairs, desks, clothes, pee stained sofas etc.)

2 hours ago, nocutename said:

I follow this youtuber and she had posted an auction video recently.

I don't follow her but I saw this while surfing YT and What do you think about the shop's offer on the comics? Though not all was shown