• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney/Fox Talks
3 3

731 posts in this topic

This sounds realistic since Iger has been announcing different merger details at the 2019 shareholders' meeting.

Disney Chairman Bob Iger confirmed during a shareholder's meeting that 20th Century Fox will continue to operate under the banner of Disney, becoming another content creator for the company that will join other prestigious banners like Pixar, Marvel Studios, and Lucasfilm.

Some speculated that Disney might water down the franchises for PG-13 ratings or possibly even axe them. After all, who can imagine an Alien movie being paired with the Walt Disney Studios fanfare?

Well, you won't have to because that's not going to happen. Iger stated that 20th Century Fox, FX, Fox Searchlight, and others will all continue under their own names.

FX content will likely remain on Hulu, and more family-friendly titles have a chance of going on the Disney+ service, but this allows Fox Searchlight to continue churning out quality films from newer filmmakers, and 20th Century Fox will keep putting out its own films — including R-rated movies.

But he also made something clear about all Marvel properties.

Of course, 20th Century Fox will lose the the license to make Marvel movies after their current slate hits theaters. Iger already confirmed the X-Men and Fantastic Four would go to Marvel Studios once the acquisition is finalized.

"I think it only makes sense," Iger told the Hollywood Reporter. "I want to be careful here because of what's been communicated to the Fox folks, but I think they know. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels."

So I think the concerns with Deadpool and other R-Rated productions may still be there.

12 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

So I think the concerns with Deadpool and other R-Rated productions may still be there.

Nothing from the X-Men movies will be used at all, but I could see Deadpool continuing on more or less like he has been so far.  There wasn't much canon established in either film.

My biggest question is whether or not they continue to use the same actors.  I can't imagine them not using Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.  The bigger question is Fassbender and McAvoy.  They're both amazing in their roles, but will Feige prefer a cleaner break from the Fox canon and not use them solely for that reason?  hm

30 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Nothing from the X-Men movies will be used at all, but I could see Deadpool continuing on more or less like he has been so far.  There wasn't much canon established in either film.

My biggest question is whether or not they continue to use the same actors.  I can't imagine them not using Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.  The bigger question is Fassbender and McAvoy.  They're both amazing in their roles, but will Feige prefer a cleaner break from the Fox canon and not use them solely for that reason?  hm

It's a fair concern with the existing actors. Feige a few years back he had a master plan for the Fox X-Men franchise he never had the chance to implement. He may dust that off as part of this situation to do things over. I sure would miss some of these actors.

As far as Deadpool's production formula remaining the same, let's see. China's PG-13 exercise didn't work out partly because the audience had no back story to the characters. So the way Deadpool 2's story was written, they were thrown into a follow-on story. Disney may assume that was the key issue only.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It's a fair concern with the existing actors. Feige a few years back he had a master plan for the Fox X-Men franchise he never had the chance to implement. He may dust that off as part of this situation to do things over. I sure would miss some of these actors.

As far as Deadpool's production formula remaining the same, let's see. China's PG-13 exercise didn't work out partly because the audience had no back story to the characters. So the way Deadpool 2's story was written, they were thrown into a follow-on story. Disney may assume that was the key issue only.

I do not see anyway around Disney (except for Deadpool) basically scrapping everything and starting from scratch. Everything will be new.

Plus Disney wants to tell its story and have it fir in the MCU.

1 hour ago, drotto said:

I do not see anyway around Disney (except for Deadpool) basically scrapping everything and starting from scratch. Everything will be new.

Plus Disney wants to tell its story and have it fir in the MCU.

Who knows what extent a reboot would consist of! The original Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen cast had their trilogy, the James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender cast is finishing theirs with Dark Phoenix & they had a split movie in Days of Futures Past, not to mention Hugh Jackman had a solo & group trilogy among other cameos. It's been 20 years now & they have yet to break 1 billion with any of their 11 films (which isn't to say they didn't do well, but they have generally grossed closer to Ant-Man than Avengers). Disney could try giving different characters solo outings to build more development on them individually like Fox did with Deadpool/Wolverine & save X-Men films as Avengers equivalents every 3 years (hopefully bringing both series together at times), while keeping some current Fox projects on the roster.

Edited by chezmtghut

22 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Who knows what extent a reboot would consist of! The original Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen cast had their trilogy, the James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender cast is finishing theirs with Dark Phoenix & they had a split movie in Days of Futures Past, not to mention Hugh Jackman had a solo & group trilogy among other cameos. It's been 20 years now & they have yet to break 1 billion with any of their 11 films (which isn't to say they didn't do well, but they have generally grossed closer to Ant-Man than Avengers). Disney could try giving different characters solo outings to build more development on them individually like Fox did with Deadpool/Wolverine & save X-Men films as Avengers equivalents every 3 years (hopefully bringing both series together at times), while keeping some current Fox projects on the roster.

Disney/Fox is also facing the issue that many characters are starting to age out, or just do not seem like they want to be associated with the property any longer.  I think recasting is the smart move (Deadpool will not be recast), and really only Jackman would be considered iconic in the role.  They rest have either already undergone recasting, or I think fans would easily be excepted replacements

I agree building an X corner to the universe through some solo films and then building to something like the Mutant Massacre or Extinction Agenda would work.

Using the Scarlet Witch for No More Mutants would also be a nice tie in to the older parts of the MCU.

23 hours ago, drotto said:

Disney/Fox is also facing the issue that many characters are starting to age out, or just do not seem like they want to be associated with the property any longer.  I think recasting is the smart move (Deadpool will not be recast), and really only Jackman would be considered iconic in the role.  They rest have either already undergone recasting, or I think fans would easily be excepted replacements

I agree building an X corner to the universe through some solo films and then building to something like the Mutant Massacre or Extinction Agenda would work.

Using the Scarlet Witch for No More Mutants would also be a nice tie in to the older parts of the MCU.

I wouldn't mind seeing Disney invest in more 8 episode mini series to introduce character development on a more personal level before delving into the films either.

On 3/8/2019 at 12:50 PM, drotto said:

A "House of M" storyline in the MCU would be complicated but quite enjoyable.

Wow!

It's really happening.

Alien. Avatar. Die Hard. Home Alone. Legion. The Gifted. Gotham. Planet of the Apes. American Horror Story. The Simpsons. King of the Hill. Deadpool, X-Men and Fantastic Four. Heck, even Star Wars: Episode IV — A New Hope which now it can include that Fox instrumental introduction.

It all belongs to The Mouse.

disneymoney.jpg

It seriously is way too bad that McAvoy and Fassbender have no chance (right?) of rebooting their roles, within the MCU.

I was never a big fan of McKellen as Magneto. I just desired a younger portrayal.

Magneto is near the top of my list of "best villains". While Marvel Studios doesn't seem to "flop" on actors, they do have a historical problem with having mediocre-at-best villains outside of Loki and Thanos.

Fassbender has really been the perfect Magneto, IMO.

I’d be surprised if they use ANY of the actors / actresses currently in their respective X-Men roles , it’s obvious with the shutdown of the “ multiple man , kitty pride and gambit” movies a full overhaul is in the works . In addition to me being about 95% certain from the previews that “mystique “ will be KIA

i concur - Magneto easily my favorite of First Class era team 

as a side note I felt the supporting characters from the future in the “ days of future past “ movie - “sunspot , blink and bishop” were all very decent 

11 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

I’d be surprised if they use ANY of the actors / actresses currently in their respective X-Men roles , it’s obvious with the shutdown of the “ multiple man , kitty pride and gambit” movies a full overhaul is in the works . In addition to me being about 95% certain from the previews that “mystique “ will be KIA

i concur - Magneto easily my favorite of First Class era team 

as a side note I felt the supporting characters from the future in the “ days of future past “ movie - “sunspot , blink and bishop” were all very decent 

I would say that it's as close to 100% as you can fathom, that they will not use any actors currently portraying characters, in the MCU.

It's starting to get really weird that Worlds of DC is casting actors that are, or have been, in the MCU. Idris Elba and Dave Bautista are both in line to play parts in that universe.

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

It's starting to get really weird that Worlds of DC is casting actors that are, or have been, in the MCU. Idris Elba and Dave Bautista are both in line to play parts in that universe.

Right? Studios hiring other studio's winning actors. :insane:

michael-keaton_vulture_720.jpg.bab3ffd889f52dcc0709b90918eb7af9.jpg

20 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I would say that it's as close to 100% as you can fathom, that they will not use any actors currently portraying characters, in the MCU.

I don't think there is anything weird about it. Gunn is looking to hire actors and actresses he has previous ties to/likes working with/respects. If I am an actor/actress, I want to work for both companies since it means more options and hopefully more money. For most of the cast and crew, the big budget super hero films generate the big $$$ so they can pursue lower revenue but more artistic/personally meaningful projects in the downtime to satisfy their creative side. 

Edited by kimik

Dave Bautista Wss the most vocal supporter of gunn when he was dropped from guardians of the galaxy three so it makes sense that gunn would feel some loyalty to him and fit him in his new project

3 minutes ago, kimik said:

I don't think there is anything weird about it. Gunn is looking to hire actors and actresses he has previous ties to/likes working with/respects. If I am an actor/actress, I want to work for both companies since it means more options and hopefully more money. For most of the cast and crew, the big budget super hero films generate the big $$$ so they can pursue lower revenue but more artistic/personally meaningful projects in the downtime to satisfy their creative side. 

What's next? Henry Cavill as Doctor Doom!?