• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The List from the Sid's Luncheonette 100

45 posts in this topic

here is the complete list of the 100 Graded DC's that will be up for sale on Pedigree Comics in a month.

i believe the minimum PQ is Off-White on every book.

Pricing will be difficult due to the lack of recorded sales activity on DC's from the early 60's, but i intend to use every means at my disposal to come up with prices that will help the majority of the books to sell.

i may have a COA created by our own redhook to accompany the books. (hey, i know this isn't a pedigree, but quite a few folks seem to think this is a good idea, so what the heck.............).

Aquaman;

#4 - 9.4

#5 - 9.0

#10 - 9.4

#15 - 9.2

#16 - 9.2

#18 - 8.5

Atom;

#1 - 8.5

#2 - 9.0

#3 - 9.0

#7 - 9.2

#9 - 8.5

#10 - 9.4

#11 - 9.2

#12 - 9.2

Batman;

#146 - 8.0

#148 - 8.5

#149 - 8.0

#150 - 8.5

#157 - 9.0

#158 - 8.5

#159 - 9.2

#160 - 9.0(Q)

#161 - 8.5

#163 - 8.5

#165 - 8.5

#166 - 8.0

Ann#5 - 9.4

Brave & Bold;

#42 - 8.0

#43 - 8.0

#48 - 9.2

#49 - 9.6

#51 - 9.0

#53 - 9.2

#56 - 8.0

Flash;

#126 - 9.0

#127 - 9.0

#129 - 9.0

#130 - 8.5

#131 - 8.5

#136 - 8.5

#137 - 8.5

#140 - 8.5

#145 - 9.4

Green Lantern;

#14 - 8.5

#21 - 8.5

#22 - 9.0

#25 - 9.2

#27 - 8.5

#30 - 9.0

Hawkman;

#5 - 9.0

JLA;

#10 - 8.0

#11 - 8.0

#14 - 9.0

#20 - 9.0

#23 - 9.2

#24 - 8.5

#27 - 9.2

#28 - 9.6

#29 - 8.0

#32 - 9.0

Metal Men;

#2 - 9.4

#3 - 9.6

#4 - 9.4

#6 - 9.0

#8 - 9.2

#9 - 9.0

Mystery in Space;

#75 - 9.2

#76 - 8.5

#84 - 8.0

#86 - 8.0

#87 - 8.5

#91 - 8.5

Sea Devils;

#3 - 9.0(Q)

#4 - 9.2

#5 - 9.0

Showcase:

#35 - 8.0

#37 - 8.0

#38 - 8.0

#40 - 8.5

#43 - 8.0

#45 - 8.5

Superman;

#153 - 9.0

#154 - 9.0

#158 - 9.4

#162 - 8.0

#163 - 9.2

#165 - 9.2

#167 - 9.0

#168 - 9.0

#170 - 9.2

Wonder Woman;

#127 - 9.2

#128 - 9.0(Q)

#131 - 8.5

#139 - 9.4

#140 - 9.0

#142 - 9.2

#143 - 9.6

#144 - 9.4

#145 - 9.4

#147 - 9.2

all 3 Qualified books have a lower detached staple.

many of these books are the 1st, 2d or 3d highest graded copies. most have no more than a handful of copies graded higher.

No books will be pre-sold, so all interested will have the same opportunity.

i may be able to share scans with those interested in a particular book, as i have about half of these books scanned. PM me and i'll try to accomodate your requests.

look for official announcements from Pedigree soon...............

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I kind of like the name of this "pedigree", I may have to think about picking up one of the lower priced issues.

there'll be quite a few of those to choose from............. grin.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I kind of like the name of this "pedigree", I may have to think about picking up one of the lower priced issues.

Same here.

I'd love to have one of BB's comics in my collection. cloud9.gif

Same here.

Me three. BB, what's the span of years on the books you are selling? All SA?

Same here.

Me three. BB, what's the span of years on the books you are selling? All SA?

all the books are Silver Age.

they're from the period just before comic collecting began to really take off. (post 1965). this is when i was getting my copies of Fanzines from Jerry Bail (Alter Ego)and Ron Foss (the Comicollector - with a national circulation of just 500 copies).

check out my new sig line - it's a stamp from an august 1963 mailing of back issues of Comicollector pleading with DC to keep Hawkman (by Kubert) flying!!!!!

i also have a 4 legal sized, construction paper back-issue mailing from the late Phil Seuling that was sent in it's entirety with a single George Washington 5cent stamp and cancelled at the Coney Island Station in Brooklyn. (but i digress......)

they range from Showcase # 34 (Atom) the last 10 cent issue from December 1961 to Hawkman #5 in January 1965. ( i have a ton of 10 cent books from 1960 and 1961 but they were too well-loved and wouldn't reach the VF grade........)

Congrats Harry! More sweet, sweet books. I've got to grab one myself.

Also, I really like the idea of a COA with them. I've bought books before w/ COA's noting "book is from an original owner collection....". Just because CGC did not deem your collection a "pedigree" doesn't mean you can't 'hype' your books as Orig. Owner. Enough people are aware of this collection now, IMO. smile.gif

How do you feel about the grades? Seems like CGC was pretty tough on a few of them.

I just had a decent amount of books graded, and I was a touch dissappointed. Not that I was way off, but a few books that I felt had a chance for a 9.4 only received a 9.0 or 9.2 (which unfortunately is a big difference in value).

How do you feel about the grades? Seems like CGC was pretty tough on a few of them.

I just had a decent amount of books graded, and I was a touch dissappointed. Not that I was way off, but a few books that I felt had a chance for a 9.4 only received a 9.0 or 9.2 (which unfortunately is a big difference in value).

they're the experts and i've come to the conclusion that it's REALLY difficult to grade your own books. i was most disappointed in the FF#1, JIM #83 and DD#1, as they all look so good. but it little almost imperceptible stain here or there and whammo...............

i expected a higher percentage of these hundred DC books to grade out as 9.0 or better, but that was probably just wishful thinking on my part and they are what they are.............. blush.gif

Great books, Harry! I've seen a few of these up close and personal too, very nice.

Your point about bias in grading your own books is true for everyone, I think. There are a lot of collectors that have raw books that they are hesitant to submit to CGC because they'd rather not open that can of worms, meaning they'd rather believe that ALL of their books are a certain grade or better, rather than submit them and subject them to scrutiny that they are unwilling (or unable) to give the books themselves.

That's why I think that even after 5 years in business, CGC has only scratched the surface of what's out there to be graded. The majority of high grade books are locked up in raw collections and will slowly work their way back into the collecting community one collection at a time. I would go even further and say that a large percentage of the top census books come from two sources, dealers' personal collections and dealers' inventory.

I would say you are the exception rather than the norm in that you are selling your collection while you're still hale and hearty. I know lots of older guys who will never sell and in fact keep buying and will keep buying until the day they die. I'll be waiting.... devil.gif

Great books, Harry! I've seen a few of these up close and personal too, very nice.

Your point about bias in grading your own books is true for everyone, I think. There are a lot of collectors that have raw books that they are hesitant to submit to CGC because they'd rather not open that can of worms, meaning they'd rather believe that ALL of their books are a certain grade or better, rather than submit them and subject them to scrutiny that they are unwilling (or unable) to give the books themselves.

That's why I think that even after 5 years in business, CGC has only scratched the surface of what's out there to be graded. The majority of high grade books are locked up in raw collections and will slowly work their way back into the collecting community one collection at a time. I would go even further and say that a large percentage of the top census books come from two sources, dealers' personal collections and dealers' inventory.

I would say you are the exception rather than the norm in that you are selling your collection while you're still hale and hearty. I know lots of older guys who will never sell and in fact keep buying and will keep buying until the day they die. I'll be waiting.... devil.gif

i think all of your points are quite perceptive......... thumbsup2.gif

i still buy the occasional book because i just can't help myself. and i intend to sell my books very gradually. (18 months on these boards with only 20 total books sold so far!!)

this upcoming sale will be the exception and i have no immediate plans after that.

and now i'm off to drive down to Orange and see what has become of Sid's. Gonna take a few pics to see if we can jazz up a COA to accompany these DC's.......... grin.gif

I will get at least one....i'm keeping my left pointer finger in top condition....awaiting the release...

despite having been graded almost 2 weeks ago, the last 30 books weren't encapsulated yet when Doug showed up on wednesday, so other arrangements have to be made to get them to Pedigree. not sure if this will delay things - i'm hoping not.

we're still shooting for an early july release............. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

and i visited the old neighborhood on Friday. the building that Sid's shared with a liquor store and a dry cleaners is still there!!! Sid's is now a beauty salon...........

and as typically happens after many years, it looked a LOT smaller than i had remembered...........what memories, though. i also used to handle his Sunday newspaper transactions out in front of the store for a couple of years in addition to the countless hours i spent poring over comics, paperbacks and the "Men's magazines" of the day................ grin.gif

and as typically happens after many years, it looked a LOT smaller than i had remembered...........what memories, though. i also used to handle his Sunday newspaper transactions out in front of the store for a couple of years in addition to the countless hours i spent poring over comics, paperbacks and the "Men's magazines" of the day................ grin.gif

Wow, I didn't know they had men's magazines back in the 1920s! poke2.gif

Wow, I didn't know they had men's magazines back in the 1920s! poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif.....very funny........

actually, what passed for men's magazines in the early 60's (excluding Playboy) is far tamer than the Victoria Secret's catalogs that ellen gets in the mail today.........and the women were often ridiculously unattractive........but it's all we had.......... devil.gif