• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman Begins: Newsweek likes it!

18 posts in this topic

Newsweek preview

Batman is back. After four films about the caped crusader, beginning famously in 1989 with Tim Burton's gothic original and ending infamously in 1997 with Joel Schumacher's benippled Batsuit, the franchise suffered a run of aborted reboots until Warners brought in Nolan, 34, the gifted mind behind "Memento," whose no-frills approach was just what the bloated Batman saga needed.

takeit.gif

Not only would I not rely on the word of Newsweek for my Movie reviews, they can't even count the number of Batman films properly. Adam West should write Newsweek.

Not only would I not rely on the word of Newsweek for my Movie reviews, they can't even count the number of Batman films properly. Adam West should write Newsweek.

I think he meant "starting in 1989..." that there were four Batman movies in the franchise. Of course there was the old 1960's version, along with an animated feature or two, but those are hardly relevant to Batman Begins.

I think he meant "starting in 1989..." that there were four Batman movies in the franchise. Of course there was the old 1960's version, along with an animated feature or two, but those are hardly relevant to Batman Begins.

The four Warner Bros. films aren't relative to Batman Begins either. confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe if I take a few words out, it will be easier to follow...

"After four films... beginning... in 1989... and ending... in 1997"

Here's another excerpt since you so adeptly missed the point of the first: poke2.gif

The film is also a stylistic rebirth. Nolan's vision doesn't have a trace of comic-book-movie excess; it's a globetrotting epic—Bruce Wayne goes to Bhutan!—in the mold of the adventure movies he grew up adoring. "We were thinking about David Lean and John Huston," says co-writer David Goyer. "Not 'Starlight Express'."

The rugged charm of "Batman Begins," which stars Welsh actor Christian Bale, lies partly its refusal to join the visual-effects arms race that the summer-movie season has lately become. When Nolan does turn to digital wizardry, he uses it to amplify the action, not supply it. "I think there's a vague sense out there that movies are becoming more and more unreal," says Nolan. "I know I've felt it. The demand we put on ourselves was to be as spectacular as possible, but not depend on computer graphics to do it." In "Batman Begins," most of the fireworks come from old-fashioned places: story and character. "Like many people," says Bale, 31, "I've sat through these huge movies and thought, What went wrong? How come, when people have all that time and money, the talent for storytelling so often goes straight out the window?"

893applaud-thumb.gif and 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

"In "Batman Begins," most of the fireworks come from old-fashioned places: story and character. "Like many people," says Bale, 31, "I've sat through these huge movies and thought, What went wrong? How come, when people have all that time and money, the talent for storytelling so often goes straight out the window?"

Could not agree more. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

i don't think it matters if newsweek likes it or not... i think the studio did the right thing in starting this movie over from the beginning to make us comic fans forget about the last 3 batmans..... what matters in hollywood is how much money it will make .. and i opredict it will make alot of money.. maybe be the biggest movie of the summer

i don't think it matters if newsweek likes it or not... i think the studio did the right thing in starting this movie over from the beginning to make us comic fans forget about the last 3 batmans..... what matters in hollywood is how much money it will make .. and i opredict it will make alot of money.. maybe be the biggest movie of the summer

So as fanboys you enjoy when movies recycle the origin over and over again, but you don't like it when comics change the origin over and over again?

confused.gif

Maybe if I take a few words out, it will be easier to follow...

"After four films... beginning... in 1989... and ending... in 1997"

Here's another excerpt since you so adeptly missed the point of the first: poke2.gif

The film is also a stylistic rebirth. Nolan's vision doesn't have a trace of comic-book-movie excess; it's a globetrotting epic—Bruce Wayne goes to Bhutan!—in the mold of the adventure movies he grew up adoring. "We were thinking about David Lean and John Huston," says co-writer David Goyer. "Not 'Starlight Express'."

The rugged charm of "Batman Begins," which stars Welsh actor Christian Bale, lies partly its refusal to join the visual-effects arms race that the summer-movie season has lately become. When Nolan does turn to digital wizardry, he uses it to amplify the action, not supply it. "I think there's a vague sense out there that movies are becoming more and more unreal," says Nolan. "I know I've felt it. The demand we put on ourselves was to be as spectacular as possible, but not depend on computer graphics to do it." In "Batman Begins," most of the fireworks come from old-fashioned places: story and character. "Like many people," says Bale, 31, "I've sat through these huge movies and thought, What went wrong? How come, when people have all that time and money, the talent for storytelling so often goes straight out the window?"

893applaud-thumb.gif and 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Hey look Zonker can read. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

He can't understand when someone is trying to make a point about how an arcticle can exclude one of the original Batman movies, and perhaps the most iconic of Batman actors such as Adam West, but he can read and interpret everything for you.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

As a wise man once said, Znoker, "Go Fist Yourself!" 893censored-thumb.gif

Hey look Zonker can read. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

He can't understand when someone is trying to make a point about how an arcticle can exclude one of the original Batman movies, and perhaps the most iconic of Batman actors such as Adam West, but he can read and interpret everything for you.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

As a wise man once said, Znoker, "Go Fist Yourself!" 893censored-thumb.gif

But Deathlok, it was such a stupid point you were trying to make, I didn't think it worth belaboring. confused.gif The Adam West treatment is such old news by 2005. The target movie audience these days doesn't care about a 1960s campy TV show. If they remember anything, they remember the Burton films and the two subsequent ones. That's the hook the article writer was using. It's a 2 page piece, they left out mentioning Bob Kane, Bill Finger and Jerry Robinson, and you're upset at a slight to Adam West ? makepoint.gif

I don't think an issue of the number of films Newsweek counts has anything to do with their review.

"Batman Begins is really good and...what? Wait, you say there was ANOTHER earlier film we forgot to count? Oh, in THAT case Batman Begins really sucks now."

one point about original "campy" (such an overused phrase) TV show, is that it is much closer in its nature to some silver age Batman stories than ANYTHING any of the films did.

imo, the only good thing about 1989 version is Nicholson's Joker, the rest trash in my opinion, cool for the time but has not passed the test of time. (1st big Batman movie!! Woo-Hoo), ALL the other movies are TERRIBLE.

So, this is will actually be the first GOOD Batman film, ever. To date. Up to this point. Etc. This film will have the feeling of Batman: Year One. Hopefully it will be the movie we all hope to see. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

DL - you certainly have a way of making friends and influencing people!! 27_laughing.gif

foreheadslap.gif

You can Go Fist Yourself too. 893censored-thumb.gif

It took you a day and a half to come up with that? You're quick and witty as ever DL... poke2.gif

Ebert and Roeper both said this is by far the best Batman. Just watched the review and they both couldn't stop gushing about it. One of the years best.

I have read that Christian Bale says he will decide to do another Batman movie if this one is a box office hit...I am thinking this one is going to be a BIG hit! Look at the cast..Christian Bale as Batman, Katie Holmes, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman. I skipped going to the last Batman movie with George Clooney, got tired of the 'same old, same old.' But this one seems to be produced with a FRESH new look - it appears as if its going to be a VERY Classy Batman...and with Christian Bale as the lead it can't go wrong. On an HBO special last night, I watched a 'first look' about the making of the movie - Bale bulked up with an extra 100# of beautiful body for this movie! And he does look awesome! I am thinking after this movie Christian Bale will be a household name...as lots of people don't even know who he is right now! When I first saw the movie posters, I thought, "Oh no, yet ANOTHER Batman movie!" When I saw Christian Bale was playing the lead - I decided then and there, I was going to go to see it! After a long hiatus, I believe this Batman is going to kick some serious box office 'derriere' (to put it delicately!)