• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All-Negro Comics #1 (All-Negro Comics, 1947) CGC VF- 7.5 Cream to off-white pages

66 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, SC22 said:

I have rarely ever seen 15 cents covers in the GA. This is actually the 1st.

One of a number of reasons why this book flopped (and the advertised second issue was never published).  In fact, I think most of the copies around may be file copies and the book may have made it to few, if any, newsstands. 

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

One of a number of reasons why this book flopped (and the advertised second issue was never published).  In fact, I think most of the copies around may be file copies and the book may have made it to few, if any, newsstands. 

Says in the auction less than 10 copies exist.

Just now, SC22 said:
2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Says in the auction less than 10 copies exist.

Well, given there are 27 copies on the census, that's pretty clearly wrong.  Used to be considered much rarer than it has turned out to be.  I've owned two copies and would be happy to win this one -- but almost certainly won't!

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

Saw a copy locally about 5 years ago.  Tough to find.  I think you're right, North of 10k.

I'm gonna guess $15k.  Let's hear some more guesses.

From GPA, looks like the last time a 7.5 sold (in a venue that reports to GPA) was in 2009.  The price then was $10,600, so $15K seems a pretty reasonable guess.  With two determined bidders, I wouldn't be shocked to see it hammer at $20K. 

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

From GPA, looks like the last time a 7.5 sold (in a venue that reports to GPA) was in 2009.  The price then was $10,600, so $15K seems a pretty reasonable guess.  With two determined bidders, I wouldn't be shocked to see it hammer at $20K. 

What's your guess?

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Actually, 30 copies if you count the three restored copies, although resubmits may bring the total down. 

Back around 1995 when I lived in Philadelphia, a gentleman had about 7 copies of this book.  But they were all really brittle and looked like a warehouse type find.   I knew then that this book was not so rare, but it does have great historical importance.  

38 minutes ago, BakerFanOne said:

Back around 1995 when I lived in Philadelphia, a gentleman had about 7 copies of this book.  But they were all really brittle and looked like a warehouse type find.   I knew then that this book was not so rare, but it does have great historical importance.  

Somebody should contact Heritage and tell them there are more than 10 that exist. That ''sucks'' for a buyer who does not know.

Edited by SC22

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

A 7.0 sold in 2015 for just over $10K, and one sold in 2016 for $6500, according to comicsmv.com, though I don't know if it was the same copy. It doesn't seem to have moved a whole lot in price over the years, but 7.5 is the top CGC grade for unrestored ( 3 copies). Maybe it's ready for a bump up, or maybe it doesn't make 10K, shall be interesting to see.

13 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

You make an interesting observation.  I can't recall if I've ever seen a ratty copy of this book (i.e. one that looked as if it was bought off of the news stand and well read).  I've seen them with poor page quality but not ratty.

This book was put out by All-Negro Comics Inc located at 1310 Spruce St in Philadelphia.  According to the editor's narrative inside the front cover "Every brush stroke and pen line in the drawings on these pages are by Negro artists."  So this was a very esoteric book in price, production and most likely distribution.  Also, it probably explains the 7 copies that were found in Philadelphia.

Surely this book, if it was distributed, could not have had very wide distribution.  North East coast at best?  Philadelphia only?  Thoughts anyone?

Even if it did make news stands sales were obviously very poor given the content, price and the fact that there were no subsequent issues.

14 hours ago, thehumantorch said:
14 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

What's your guess?

Let's be expansive ... $17.5K.

9 hours ago, rjpb said:

A 7.0 sold in 2015 for just over $10K, and one sold in 2016 for $6500, according to comicsmv.com, though I don't know if it was the same copy. It doesn't seem to have moved a whole lot in price over the years, but 7.5 is the top CGC grade for unrestored ( 3 copies). Maybe it's ready for a bump up, or maybe it doesn't make 10K, shall be interesting to see.

Yeah, you just don't know with books like this because the number of buyers once you get into five figures is pretty small.  And there are two other 7.5s out there (assuming the three entries on the census represent different copies and not resubs that failed to get a grade bounce), so presumably that's two potential buyers who won't be bidding on this copy.

Still, it just takes two determined bidders to send it to the moon.

36 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, you just don't know with books like this because the number of buyers once you get into five figures is pretty small.  And there are two other 7.5s out there (assuming the three entries on the census represent different copies and not resubs that failed to get a grade bounce), so presumably that's two potential buyers who won't be bidding on this copy.

Still, it just takes two determined bidders to send it to the moon.

There has been a big run up in prices for classic covers, rarities, and historically minor keys in the last few years, and as more of these books approach and surpass the 10K barrier in mid grade, and sometimes even low grade, I wonder how sustainable that is. The big blue chip keys seem to know no limit, but I have noticed that even for Church books, the multiples realized over low grade sales can start to shrink once they get into 5 figures.