• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney streaming service impact on Marvel content
1 1

124 posts in this topic

Will Netflix Lose Their Marvel Shows to Disney’s Streaming Service?

The Marvel/Netflix partnership has given us some of the best stories in the MCU, but it looks that’s all about to end as Disney begins its quest for streaming dominance. This week’s seen a flurry of Disney-related news, with a new trilogy of Star Wars films from Rian Johnson being announced just after it broke that new live-action Star Wars and Marvel shows are in the works. That latter piece came as part of the unfolding story of Disney’s upcoming streaming service, which has raised a lot of questions about Marvel’s future.

Awhile back, word broke that Disney would be pulling all of their titles from sites like Netflix and Amazon Prime by 2019 ahead of creating their own streaming service. Not only will Disney, Pixar, Lucasfilm, and Marvel Studios films and series all now live on the proposed site, but new content will be developed exclusively for it.

Unlike the other MCU properties Daredevil and the rest of the shows under the Defenders banner – were produced by Netflix. As such, yanking them off the service seems logistically impossible. But will Disney strong-arm their former partner?

It’s been confirmed that future Marvel shows will be exclusive to Disney’s service. The existing shows, however, will stay on Netflix. What’s more, it’s said that any spinoffs of those shows will also stay on the site. Netflix keeping the series they helped to create makes sense, but will Disney allow them to make future seasons of shows like Jessica Jones and The Punisher, or license out new characters for said spinoffs?

For now, this is all speculation. The news of Disney’s streaming service has been light so far, and even draft logistics haven’t been made public. Common sense, however, would seem to indicate that while Disney may want all of their properties under one roof, there’s something to be gained from keeping their relationship with Netflix going. Then again, with Disney trying to compete with the streaming giant, will the tension allow such a relationship to survive?

Edited by Bosco685

Star Wars & Marvel Live-Action Series Planned for Disney Streaming

Disney-Star-Wars-Marvel.jpg?q=50&w=1000&

Disney is planning new Star Wars and Marvel live-action TV series that will air on the company’s streaming service, which is set to launch in late 2019. In recent years, both the Star Wars franchise and the Marvel Cinematic Universe have massively expanded. After acquiring Lucasfilm, Disney announced a new series of Star Wars movies, both a new trilogy in the Skywalker Saga and a number of spinoff movies – the latter of which have since been announced as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and Solo: A Star Wars Story. Meanwhile, the MCU is currently in its Phase 3, heading into the culmination of all its phases with Avengers: Infinity War and Untitled Avengers 4.

In terms of Marvel, the company has also made a serious push into television, with five – soon to be six – series on Netflix, two shows currently set up at ABC, one headed to Hulu later this month, another in production at Freeform, and one looking for a network or streaming home (the last being New Warriors, which was originally ordered by Freeform). Star Wars, meanwhile, is wrapping up its animated TV series Star Wars Rebels this year, but rumors of a live-action television show have been circulating for some time. Now, we know at least one more Marvel series and a Star Wars live-action show are in the works.

44 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Great.  welcome to the fragmented future where we will have to buy every studio's individual app. 

That might kill the golden goose Netflix. I notice now that Amazon on demand Prime has a better selection. Netflix was like so much better about 5 years ago with selection.

It sounds like due to future plans on the part of Disney Streaming, they will start to view Netflix as competition even before going live. So decisions about future Netflix shows could play into that plan.

No More New Marvel Netflix Shows; Disney Wanted to Buy Fox to Compete with the Streaming Giant

When Disney revealed they were planning on creating a new streaming service of their own, it seemed almost a given that they would start producing their own original content for it – which they later confirmed they would indeed be doing. But what about Disney produced content that already exists on other streaming services? Namely, the Marvel shows that are so popular on Netflix? It looks like Marvel’s Netflix days are numbered. A report in the Wall Street Journal confirms that future Marvel shows will play exclusively on Disney’s streaming service. There’s no word yet if the current Marvel Netflix shows – Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, The Defenders and the upcoming The Punisher – would make the jump from Netflix to Disney’s service, but at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened.

The WSJ story also confirms that Disney’s as-of-now stalled plan to buy a large chunk of 21st Century Fox was tied directly to their goals of trying to compete with Netflix. “[W]e’ve turned our attention to the one platform seeing growth challenges,” Disney Chief Strategy Officer Kevin Mayer says in the article. “That’s the television platform.” The Fox deal would’ve given Disney control of a large portion of Fox’s TV shows, which Disney would’ve then presumably moved over to their upcoming streaming service. Mayer also says to think of the Disney streaming service “not an anti-Netflix move, but a pro-Disney move.”

Disney is clearly determined to come out ahead here, but the transition isn’t going to be cheap or easy.

12 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It sounds like due to future plans on the part of Disney Streaming, they will start to view Netflix as competition even before going live. So decisions about future Netflix shows could play into that plan.

No More New Marvel Netflix Shows; Disney Wanted to Buy Fox to Compete with the Streaming Giant

Time for netflix to expand into an animated studio.

17 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Time for netflix to expand into an animated studio.

I bet there are partners pitching their capabilities already to counter Disney. Look at companies like Laika that can utilize claymation (Coraline, The Corpose Bride, Paranorman, The Boxtrolls, Kubo) that could offer up something unique yet proven entertainment. The challenge is the production length involved.

But line up enough of those and you can fill some voids. Though with Disney/Pixar that's such a touch competitor to counter.

1 hour ago, Chip Cataldo said:

I thought those were stop-motion puppets like NMBC.

They are stop-motion. They have to re-position the figures, along with changing out faces and other parts when needed. These and Wallace & Gromit are incredible.

Disney streaming service to cost much less than a Netflix subscription

If you listen closely, you can hear Disney sharpening their talons in preparation for the late 2019 launch of their standalone streaming service. In a recent development, Disney CEO Bob Iger announced that “Our plan on the Disney side is to price this substantially below where Netflix is,” relayed Iger on the company’s Q4 earnings call. “That is in part reflective of the fact it’ll have less volume,” added Disney’s top executive.

Iger also stated that the streamer will launch with "a lot of high quality" entertainment, and the subscription fee will increase as the platform unleashes more content. As most of you are aware, Netflix currently costs anywhere between $7.99 and $13.99 a month to stream an array of studio content including the service's original series and films. Iger also recognizes that there's a "gigantic" opportunity to create deals for die-hard House of Mouse fans, including those who are Disney credit card holders and those who frequent the company's parks and resorts.

Disney is already loading the streaming pipeline.

According to Deadline, Disney and its subsidiaries such as Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, and Pixar, have upwards of 18 movies and 16 televisions shows in the works for the new streaming platform.

"There may be as many as 18 films and 16 TV series in some form of development for [Disney+]," the report reads. "Plus we expect some licensed content to be purchased or repurchased from other outlets as Disney looks to fill in programming gaps prior to the service’s launch later this year."

16 hours ago, engelhard said:

i have my reasons why i  think this will happen... i don't know when but in my opinion disney will buy netflix.

What about Sony? Do they have a streaming service?

Are there any other major media corporations that don't have their own service yet?

25 minutes ago, Antpark said:

What about Sony? Do they have a streaming service?

Are there any other major media corporations that don't have their own service yet?

its not like i sit on the board of directors for any company lol i just had an opinion about NFLX and Disney

I know Sony does do some streaming stuff with Playstation Vue but i don't know much about it