• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newly discovered romance!!!!
2 2

34 posts in this topic

I hope I'm not dragging this thread too far off topic, but she is swooning, so it is kind of romantic.

Anyone familiar with these books?  GCD says Canadian, and it was printed in Canada by Superior and has the maple leaf insignia on the cover, but the interiors are four color and the ads have U.S. addresses.  Possible they were printed in Canada for the U.S. market? @eccomic and @porcupine48 any thoughts?

AGGIEMACK7.jpg

AGGIEMACK7bk.jpg

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

I hope I'm not dragging this thread too far off topic, but she is swooning, so it is kind of romantic.

Anyone familiar with these books?  GCD says Canadian, and it was printed in Canada by Superior and has the maple leaf insignia on the cover, but the interiors are four color and the ads have U.S. addresses.  Possible they were printed in Canada for the U.S. market? @eccomic and @porcupine48 any thoughts?

AGGIEMACK7.jpg

AGGIEMACK7bk.jpg

Superior reprinted many American books(Fox,EC's in particular) some with different adds,usually inferior printing quality,oddly,in some cases covers with a stiffer card stock.

As far as I know,titles like above and Bruce Gentry,along with some other romance books like GI War Brides were printed in Canada for both US and Canadian markets with original content.

Dr.Love or eccomics likely know more than I though.

FNS9ZTM.jpg?1

ZxUanWx.jpg?1

This is a Superior edition,without the insignia..

jakLVdO.jpg?1

Thanks.  So, if I'm understanding correctly, for these books there would be a single printing that would be distributed in both the U.S. and Canada?  Would many Canadian readers have responded to ads with U.S. addresses?  Or maybe the advertisers weren't too concerned about that. 

55 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Thanks.  So, if I'm understanding correctly, for these books there would be a single printing that would be distributed in both the U.S. and Canada?  Would many Canadian readers have responded to ads with U.S. addresses?  Or maybe the advertisers weren't too concerned about that. 

For the original content,I believe so,but i'd think the folks in this thread have far more knowledge than I..

Mind if I quote your post there?

Edited by porcupine48

12 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

For,the original content,I believe so,but i'd think the folks in this thread have far more knowledge than I..

Mind if I quote your post there?

Yes, please do so. Interesting piece of comic history. Be great to get more info on it. 

Just looked at the CGC census and there are two copies of issue 2.  One copy (a 4.5) is listed as a regular (presumably U.S) book and the other (a 7.5) is listed as a Canadian variant.  Two different versions or (probably more likely) two copies of the same version with the graders having come to different conclusions about whether the book should be considered U.S. or Canadian?

There don't appear to be any graded copies of issue 7.

Edited by Sqeggs

On the Aggie Mack books, I've got a copy of #1.  It was definitely printed in Canada, with the publisher listed as being in Toronto and the editorial offices in Buffalo, New York.  It also says that there is an application for second class matter pending at Buffalo.  I think, with an original material (rather than reprint) book like this, the book was distributed in both the US and Canada.

Scan10001_Aggie_Mack_01.jpg

Scan10001_Aggie_Mack_01_indicia.jpg

I guess these books fall into a sort of twilight zone in terms of how we categorize them.  Published in Canada but distributed in both countries.  GCD thinks that makes the books Canadian, but CGC seems uncertain.