• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Defending and critiquing art should there be rules??

44 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, FSF said:

Thank you for the links.  Very interesting site.  I wish he would do some material in a more straight forward manner as he obviously has a lot of talent.

And then be like every one else (of "talent") working the realism/hyper-realism machine? Boring. I have my criticism, but at least he's not spending all his time flashing drapery skill. Just now looking at his site (extension of Morpheus International...ho-hum to that giclee-marketing-gimmick-machine...) it's clear that caricature is his bag. So sort of one-and-done (if you've seen one...) deal. Maybe he's got another body/ies of work that doesn't fit that marketing demographic and thus isn't online, I wonder what that stuff looks like. His pencil pieces are more interesting to me than the finished paintings, such as this:

NEIL-YOUNG-JOTA-LEAL.jpg

3 hours ago, vodou said:

And then be like every one else (of "talent") working the realism/hyper-realism machine? Boring. I have my criticism, but at least he's not spending all his time flashing drapery skill. Just now looking at his site (extension of Morpheus International...ho-hum to that giclee-marketing-gimmick-machine...) it's clear that caricature is his bag. So sort of one-and-done (if you've seen one...) deal. Maybe he's got another body/ies of work that doesn't fit that marketing demographic and thus isn't online, I wonder what that stuff looks like. His pencil pieces are more interesting to me than the finished paintings, such as this:

NEIL-YOUNG-JOTA-LEAL.jpgNow that's great! Little bit of a Steadman vibe going on, with some not-so-Steadman realism there for contrast.

On 13/11/2017 at 9:01 PM, porcupine48 said:

Ol' Bats has struggled with his waistline since the sixties...

XdAY3zE.jpg?1

On 13/11/2017 at 9:28 PM, Marwood & I said:

Fatman! Fatman! Fatman! Fatman! 

Fatman!  Fatman! Fatman!

Dunanunanunanunanunanunanun FATMAN!

Now here is a Fat Batman, courtesy of a pick up at the last London Comic Fair:

5a1040242bec4_fatbatman.thumb.jpg.62f699d0784eb4cde6ea381b25f79a08.jpg

5a10402a64457_fatbatman2.jpg.e989ca548339f6f779fa29323f885989.jpg Puff, holy , puff, who ate all the p-pies Robin!

On 11/12/2017 at 9:10 PM, Michaeld said:

A couple of years ago I was at the Guggenheim in Venice Italy with a friend. In one of the rooms they had several Jackson Pollock pieces which in IMHO is the most over rated garbage the "fine art world" has ever had to offer. It is at best aesthetically pleasing but nothing more. My friend had taken art appreciation classes in college and told me that one of the first things you are taught is how to defend art regardless of your opinion of the piece. So with that I attacked Pollock's work and he defended. It was fun.

On a few occasions I have liked and sometimes purchased pieces that a fellow OA collector and friend has felt compelled to question my taste. He is not subtle about it. He just tells me it's awful or uses a poop emoji. I don't get insulted. I think it's fun.

So let's have some fun. This piece is going to be auctioned off soon. It is a piece that I really like and my OA friend gave me emoji poop for it. Most likely I won't bid on it because it just doesn't fit with my collection but there is something about it I find compelling. The reason I'm choosing this piece for us to critique is because I don't think anyone will have any feelings of nostalgia to get in the way and we won't feel afraid to insult any collector or artist in the comic art world. So go at it! Do you love it or hate it? Why?   

RADF5A412017119_103921.jpg

this is great!!!