• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cover Girls: An Appreciation for Women on Comic Book Photo Covers
1 1

52 posts in this topic

I've always secretly admired these photo cover type of books. Many of them had some pretty good art and stories inside. While there are a few "ringers" in this genre, most can be had in very sharp condition for a hundred or less. That Sweethearts 119 just posted would probably set someone back 2K or more. Here's one from the Richmond Toy Show, one of the cheaper ones..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Dp1PIpy.jpg

AKqLi35.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

5 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I have no idea who the model is...

On Doc V.'s blog, she is IDed as Dolores Conlon [sic] (it should be Dolores Donlon). I don't know where he got the ID nor if it is correct.  [Link - http://timely-atlas-comics.blogspot.com/search?q=miss+america ]

Volume 1, #2 (Nov/44):

Miss+America+Vol+1%252C+%25232+%2528Nov44%2529.jpg

Vol 1, #2 (Nov/44) ; model is Dolores Conlon

12 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I've always secretly admired these photo cover type of books. Many of them had some pretty good art and stories inside. While there are a few "ringers" in this genre, most can be had in very sharp condition for a hundred or less. That Sweethearts 119 just posted would probably set someone back 2K or more. Here's one from the Richmond Toy Show, one of the cheaper ones..... GOD BLESS...

Dp1PIpy.jpg

AKqLi35.jpg

Farley Granger was in my favorite Hitchcock film "Rope." And he may have been "Movieland's Greatest Romantic Catch", but not with the ladies. He was openly gay, as was his character in the movie. Very progressive for 1948.

Edited by Iksar

11 hours ago, Iksar said:

Farley Granger was in my favorite Hitchcock film "Rope." And he may have been "Movieland's Greatest Romantic Catch", but not with the ladies. He was openly gay, as was his character in the movie. Very progressive for 1948.

One of my favourite Hitch movies is Strangers on a Train also starring Farley Granger. That would be my reason for picking up that issue.

7 hours ago, comicnoir said:

One of my favourite Hitch movies is Strangers on a Train also starring Farley Granger. That would be my reason for picking up that issue.

.... my gal was named after Judy Garland.... that's why I grabbed it. I always get her one book at a show..... but she surprised me by insisting on the Wendy 9 instead. All that glossy Ziff-Davis process blue didn't hurt either.... I think they produced the glossiest comics ever made. GOD BLESS....

On 11/29/2017 at 2:10 PM, Iksar said:

With hindsight, you can argue that the leads in Rope were intended to be gay (as, I believe the real life Leopold and Loeb that the movie characters were based on may have been).  But at the time there's no way the Production Code would have allowed an openly gay character or that Granger would have played a role that would be seen as obviously gay -- it would have tanked his career as a matinee idol.  Been a while since I've seen it, but apart from their being two men living together, I don't recall their doing anything in the film that would indicate that they were having a romantic relationship. 

My favorite Granger performance is Strangers on a Train, another Hitchcock film.  Robert Walker plays a seriously deranged character in that one and there is more than a suggestion that he is attracted to the Granger character.  But, again, it had to be kept subtle to get by the Code. 

On 11/29/2017 at 1:37 AM, jimjum12 said:

Dp1PIpy.jpg

AKqLi35.jpg

Looks like a cool (but, I guess, unsuccessful) attempt to meld movie mags with comics.